Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Concrete would be unnecessary for a post hole, unless it is a recently constructed one. The coins you describe could be from a later coin collector's cache, and a concrete post would be both distinctive and attract attention to anyone search the property.

Others have mentioned fake posts used in the fence line. Quite possible. The corner post usually had a brace post on either side of it, which gave greater support to that all important fence line. Many property locations are still determined by those corner posts, so every attempt would be made to make certain they stayed in place. The brace post would also be important. But other posts on the fence line would be structurally less important, and therefore more likely to conceal a cache.

it is the only one in the yard in the middle of nowhere and appears to be a very old hole so far i have measured down to 24 inches of what i cleaned and found iron spikes on the sides with old rope fragment on them , when i run my coil over the hole it screams but on out side peremeter of said hole

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of weeks ago I was at a ranch SE of Las Vegas,N.M. with the land owner digging up boulders to use for landscaping.I asked him if he ever found anything interesting out here. He told me that a couple of years ago he found a (bull) nut sack full of old Spanish or Mexican coins in a post hole that he had just pulled the post out of. He thinks it was probably put there by one of his ancestors as his family owned the ranch for 14 generations, or by one of the hands who worked there. He also told me that that he had found lots of arrow heads and meteorites.I hope to go back up there in the near future and I'll take my MD with me this time, he handed me a peice of rock that he thought might be a meteorite, but I doubt thats what it is, looked like Apache tear to me. I'll post some pic. once I figure out how.
HH

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hopefully this will work this a couple pictures of the ranch

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,531
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,569
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,573

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i got a 1937 sears catalog i look to see if i can from a post hole bank but nothing. it was my grandmother book rest her sole

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fascinating thread--thanks to all!

All the best,

Lanny

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread, great pics and I'm eagerly waiting to hear how your search goes...but I don't know how comfortable I would be reaching under rocks in Nevada and from your picture is looks like you're about crawling under them...I have this thing about snakes ;D

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out a 1900 Sears catalog and nothing about post hole banks or farmers banks. It had lots of locks and safes, but nothing about post holes, so if someone has any old magazines with pics, it would be nice to see, although it doesn't make the job of finding one, any easier, but if you ran across pieces of old pipe, it might make a difference, to take a closer look or not.

Ky. Ken

Nov 14, 2011
eastern , Ky.
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack cheap one
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start at the post on the Left Bottom corner where the three post appear to be closer together.. Then check around the Bushes nearest the power pole.. Then check the post nearest of the three that are in perfect line from where the first pic was taken.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
During my use of the SEARS catalogue they DID have a post hole bank (pipe) that you put in to a post hole or under ground. I do not remember what year it was but at the time thought it was unusual even for a teenager.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to find some post hole banks but since the mid 1800's here, most fence posts are rotten grown over by berry bushes or tons of stone piles from all the hydrollic mining but it must be a dream to find anyways, good luck, Don. California

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two post hole banks from family's land, in Wyoming. We found them on fence lines that made so sense why they where there. the one fence line went off from the corner of the house. the other fence line just went off in a different direction. for no reason. good luck hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread