Rumor Farm Cache.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,

Attachments

• Search Salvage Agreement.jpg
    Search Salvage Agreement.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,495

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any news on this search? Spring is quickly heading into summer... :hello:

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
If the family is serious that there is any money you don't have much chance of finding it in the ground. It is probably in the old mans garage where he worked on cars. Remember that most old timers never had much money. If they have tax returns etc that show income then its easier to surmise what you may be searching for. If he got a paycheck from one of the big three where did he cash it? Well anyway good luck, look for larger rocks, paver stones, hidden areas behind steps.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
any old cars on the place,if he was a car man it might be in a junker.
Atics are a great place to check, lose stones in a fireplace, or under floor broads.
but if he had a work shop that would be a place he spent lots of time, flase bottomes to Tool boxes or work benchs.
Good Luck
Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Try to get the basement, if it is dirt, included in this agrement. Let me put it this way, valuable things have been found in dirt basements, and you can search them in the winter.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
starsplitter:

Your wife's cousin told WHO? We as humans can't keep our mouths closed
when we find something. I'm working on one that was supposed to be known
only to two & immediate family. Things happen you don't expect in the search.
First we couldn't just go right to it. House wasn't where I was told it should be.
The principle who was there eight years ago couldn't remember the precise
location like he expected. So after scouring the area without success we brought in a third party who is familiar with the locals. What should have been
a quick recovery is now on hold because of faulty memories.
It is amazing how something simple can turn into a maze when you have to
wait eight years before the coast is clear.

K

Kentucky Kache

lastleg said:
starsplitter:

Your wife's cousin told WHO? We as humans can't keep our mouths closed
when we find something. I'm working on one that was supposed to be known
only to two & immediate family. Things happen you don't expect in the search.
First we couldn't just go right to it. House wasn't where I was told it should be.
The principle who was there eight years ago couldn't remember the precise
location like he expected. So after scouring the area without success we brought in a third party who is familiar with the locals. What should have been
a quick recovery is now on hold because of faulty memories.
It is amazing how something simple can turn into a maze when you have to
wait eight years before the coast is clear.

I've learned there is no such thing as a quick recovery. At least not for me.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Not insulted. Stories like yours need to be repeated on all the forums. KK,
are you saving up for Nevada? The site should be free of snow by August.

K

Kentucky Kache

lastleg said:
Not insulted. Stories like yours need to be repeated on all the forums. KK,
are you saving up for Nevada? The site should be free of snow by August.

There won't be much saving until I get the X paid off. Just a few more payments and she's only a memory. After that we'll see.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I found out I can't hike far above 8,000 ft. So that cache is out for me.
Still think it has a chance of being legit.

K

Kentucky Kache

lastleg said:
I found out I can't hike far above 8,000 ft. So that cache is out for me.
Still think it has a chance of being legit.

I think so too. Just maybe.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
OK. Finally got thru all the posts.

My recommendation: start with the obvious. Caches are often in plain site within quick recovery of the front door of the home.

Check any old autos is a good idea for this site. Check the auto shop site. I know you don't have access to it, but that's one of the most likely areas: where someone would be working every day and checking through bolt cans or containers wouldn't be out-of-the-ordinary.

Some suggestions: my grandfather used to keep V nickels in the bottom of a coffee can which had 2-3 inches of bolts and nuts on top of it in his tool shed. My mother knew nothing about it. Grandpa took my brothers to show me, and we had fun trying to scratch the nickels with nails, knifes, and hammers. Odd what you remember ...

Another great-uncle, after dying, left an estate including $760,000 in banks alone! A constant collector, he had a gallon jar of Indian Head cents on his kitchen table when he died. He had a drawer with $1,000 face value silver coins in it, and another drawer with gems: diamonds, rubies, opals, etc. He owner a 47-carat men's diamond ring: half finished and faceted, half natural. Odd thing: the ring disappeared before the estate could be probated. He offered me a job running a wheat ranch he owned in Canada the day I graduated from high school. I thought it kind of odd at the time. His tractors had compasses as you couldn't see the end of the field. Ranch had something like 40,000 acres in it.

Here's a thought: start at the front door or front window, and search the first 20 feet away, picking up everything metal, including iron. If man may have been well-off, cache area would of necessity been larger than if just a poor farmer hiding a few coins for a rainy day. Check flower beds (already suggested) and old trees or stumps CAREFULLY.

A few years ago started exchanging letters with a cache hunter East of me. His last letter included out-of-focus photos of a cache he had found. He had got a lead from an old-folks home about an early coin collector who was thought to have buried his collection. Hunter knew where the property was. Home long gone, site overgrown, many old tree stumps. He spent the first hour on the site sitting on one tree stump, trying to envision where the house was, where the outbuildings were, where the old road used to run. He then turned on his detector, walked over to the largest stump nearby, and started a search pattern. Within 10 minutes, he had a big signal, and spent the next 2 hours digging out what proved to be a miner's lunch box. Inside, wrapped in oilskin, was the coin cache. It contained a complete set of Trade Dollars, including the rare proof issues; a complete set of $5 and $10 gold coins from the 1810-1830 period. It had 10 Continental Dollars in 6 different metal contents; 5 1793 half cents, and 5 1793 cents.

These things DO happen. You must try to put yourself in the position of someone hiding valuables on the site: where would YOU hide something that the neighbors wouldn't think as being out of place?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tuberale:

That is the best advise I've heard lately. Old folks home. Who wants to hear
a bunch of old people yack about the old days? Serious THers should. Besides
it will teach you patience.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
lastleg said:
Tuberale:

That is the best advise I've heard lately. Old folks home. Who wants to hear
a bunch of old people yack about the old days? Serious THers should. Besides
it will teach you patience.

I've always loved listening to old folks talk about their lives as kids. Always entertaining!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi

Im currently hunting an old farm too. It is a hard place to hunt due to the extremely high iron content, Im looking for interesting stuff that could be out there, but on this site there is a rumor of a cache too. I have found some old coins missed on the ploughed fields but no caches for now, next time I will approach an old building to see what it is inside

I registered on this forum some months ago and forgot to put it on favorites, I see I was missing a lot of precious info, great forum folks! :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
RE: chinchilla's posting: one method for getting at least some of the iron out of a small piece of ground is to use an electromagnet. Something to think about. Works on iron meteorites, too! (Hint, hint).l

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tumberale

that sounds a great tip, I remember I read on a metal detecting forum some while ago about a user who placed several magnets on a row and before detecting he used to do some pass with the magnets attached to a rope.

M
M------(rope)-------------
M

thats technique looks great! :headbang:

I have to made myself with some magnets ;D

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, old people know about local history, and tell you about treasures stories not publish in books. I live in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and be glad to hear from you about treasures in Connecticut. [email protected] Best of luck to all of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread