Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been back to the spot 2 times now and have found only a handfull more here and there.... Also a white gold ring on that same beach and about a hundred yrd away from that spot this past Winter....

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I suspect it is from some ones coin collection, and not natzi coins for buying provisions, doubt they took a pocket of coins to the local 7/11. Where ever they come from, they are yours now, so you can start your own collection of world coins! Congrat!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
We still can't figure out how they got there!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what you have is what I call a "hurricane cache" (I heard that term used elsewhere but I like it) Basically what happens is this, a hurricane comes ashore, the winds and storm surge destroy houses and buildings and when the waters recede items are washed out. I'd guess that your collection was on it's way out to sea when whatever container it was in broke open, or got caught up and came apart later. I've heard stories of similar caches being found along the gulf coast, and it only makes sense that they would be found anywhere that hurricanes make landfall.

There are stories that tell of huge amounts of coins being lost to the surge here during Katrina, (both collections, and from businesses) and I'm hopeful I may track one down one of these days.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
can't believe this was 5 yrs ago already...what a day...

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like it was quite a day. But I don't see what the year range ended up being? The oldest and the newest?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread