CACHE of 114 COINS FOUND ON BEACH

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The day started out on time and I had Kaptkidd, Scallywags, and myself for the hunt today. We arrived at our destination and found a detectorist on the beach already. No problem, as I am walking down to the surf line, I said hello and he nodded. I walked by and I get a hit, first hole of the morning has 19 coins in it. They all seem to be foreign. I never moved more that 60 feet in any direction with out getting coins. They were popping out of the sand everywhere. some holes had many multiples. Some coins are silver, most are brass or something. I found a junk ring in the midst of everything. My son ( Kaptkidd ) ended up with 55 of them himself. Scallywags had a few. The other detectorist had about 100 or so. I am estimating about 300 coins were found today at this site. I have never dug so many holes.... Simply amazing... Some of these coins are NAZI SILVER COINSGoing back tomorrow to see if I can manage a few more coins.Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 5,523
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 5,266
  • DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 5,209
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 5,176
  • DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 5,061
  • DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 5,180
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 5,402
  • DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 5,070
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 4,991
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 5,100

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing! HH
Doc

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great find. The mind wonders, were they a recent drop, or is there a chest of coins that was broken up due to erosion. What is the newest and oldest coins, is there a date pattern ?

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
DFX, I think that it's someones collection, that it may have been hidden on the beach recently, and the storm we had last week may have broken what may have held them apart. Lucky for me, sad for the owner.... OR maybe some kids playing PIRATE at the beach just lost them.... I looked in the local papers to see if anyone has had anything stolen.... No luck thus far.... It was a very FUN hunt....

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the coolest. I love finding foreign coins, the variety is awesome. Super nice finds! Go back for more! HH Niffler

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok, this may be because I am just a beginner, but you stopped looking. I'd still be out there. Way to go on the finds. :hello2: Wish I was closer to a beach. OK, OK, wish I was closder to that beach. ;D

Luis S.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if you were near the site where they sank one of the German U-boats off shore? That would explain the Nazi coins and the reason they had so many different ones...the U-boats had to have many different nationalities so they could buy supplies id needed. You may have also found a very historic cash of the guys who came ashore to do sabotage work during WW II they caught some of them and this may have been there! If so you truly have a find of immense historical significance to museums and collectors...for the time being keep as many together as you can even try to find out who the other guy was...may be worth big bucks...check the dates if they all fall before the end of the war you should contact historians.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/10/us/sunken-german-u-boat-found-in-gulf-of-mexico.html?pagewanted=1

http://www.gomr.mms.gov/homepg/regulate/environ/archaeological/world_war_II.html

http://www.pastfoundation.org/DeepWrecks/TheGermanU-boat.htm

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
curtis, that was something that i had forgotten about. the german u-boat was seen in the gulf of mexico near gulf shores at one time. we lived at foley, a small town north of gulf shores. where i worked they had some of the prisoners working there too. i think those prisoners just wanted to work- volunteers- so to speak, and they were very nice looking men, all young and courteous.
ellis

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
RUNE, All these coins were found on a Cape Cod beach, but I do not beleive that they were there for to long at all.

rune

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2008
Whydah, thanks! I was thinking about the Nazi coins for the same reason as the posters above. Once again nice find! Hope you do well finding more!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Whydah
a very good day and a very cool find, i'd go out at low tide and look again
cant seem to find anything yet, on what was on the four barges
can you post a slide show of the coins, would be nice to see them individually
here is some info on the u boat

By the time the San Diego had settled on the ocean floor, the U-156 was well on the way to her next destination, the Massachusetts coast. There her crew planned to wreak havoc on the American and Canadian North Atlantic fishing fleet. In 1918 Orleans, Massachusetts, was a small village of about 1,000 residents on Cape Cod's elbow. Since its incorporation in 1797, the town had depended on the ocean for its livelihood, harvesting salt and fish from its waters. In December 1814, the town experienced a taste of war when local militia repelled an attack by marines from the British ship Newcastle. Now, just over a century later, Orleans was facing another attack from the sea.

As the U-156 continued shelling the vessels offshore, Reuben Hopkins remained behind to man the coast guard station while the rest of the crew ran to the beach to assist those who had escaped ashore in lifeboats. Hopkins watched from the tower as the U-156 continued to lay a steady, if somewhat erratic, fire from twin 150-mm deck guns. The submarine made short work of the tug Perth Amboy, and then, one by one, attacked each of the four barges along the tug's towline, but it did not send any shells ashore. Soon HS-2 and R-9 seaplanes from Chatham Naval Air Base arrived to attack the German submarine. Their fire was ineffective, and the few bombs they dropped failed to explode. The U-156 slipped away before the naval aviators Well-known aviators
People largely known for their contributions to the history of aviation
While all of these people were pilots (and some still are), many are also noted for contributions in areas such as aircraft design and manufacturing, navigation or could muster a more organized attack.

The U-boat succeeded to some degree in its goal of frightening the American public. People on land and sea alike reported hearing gun battles off the coast. Rumors abounded that deep in the Atlantic a "mother ship" tended to the U-156 and other German submarines that were to follow. Newspapers offered rewards for information leading to the discovery of alleged German submarine supply bases along Canada's Bay of FundyNoun 1. Bay of Fundy - a bay of the North Atlantic between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia; noted for rapid tides as great as 70 feet
Atlantic, Atlantic Ocean - the 2nd largest ocean; separates North and South America on the west from Europe and Africa on the east
..... Click the link for more information.. Secretary of the Navy Daniels ordered the media not to report on American ship movements, and the government barred aliens from all coastal areas and required passes and official identification cards for both individuals and their ships. Seacoast towns banned bright lights out of fear spies could use them to signal German submarines.

The day after the Orleans attack, the U-156 found its next victim, the Gloucester fishing schooner schooner (sk`nər), sailing vessel, rigged fore-and-aft, with from two to seven masts. Robert and Richard. The submarine sank her 100 miles off the Maine coast. During the next 20 days the U-156 ran amok Amok (ā`mŏk), in the Bible, post-Exilic Jewish family. among the fishing fleets, sinking more than 25 American and Canadian schooners. To preserve her limited number of torpedoes, the U-boat usually approached schooners on the surface and halted them with a shot or two across the bow. The Germans then boarded the boats, ransacked ran·sack
tr.v. ran·sacked, ran·sack·ing, ran·sacks
1. To search or examine thoroughly.

2. To search carefully for plunder; pillage. them for anything of value--provisions, maps, and other bits of intelligence--and placed the crews in small boats so they could head for land. Sailors from the submarine then placed bombs in the ships' hulls or set them on fire.

more
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+U+boat+That+Threatened+America.-a080898486

...in 1918, people in the Cape Cod town of Orleans were astonished to see a German U-boat surface offshore and begin firing on an unarmed tugboat and the four barges it was pulling. Torpedoes set the tug ablaze and injured its crew, while constant shelling sank the barges. Thanks to the skill and courage of Coast Guardsmen, everyone was rescued. Some of the shells fired from the sub landed on the beach, making this the first time the U.S. mainland had been attacked since the War of 1812 and the only time the country was attacked during World War I. The state had been producing arms, vehicles, and supplies for the war effort and sending soldiers abroad, but no one expected what occurred that Sunday in Orleans.
http://www.massmoments.org/index.cfm?mid=212

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
CW, Thanks for the info on this U Boat, I have read about this in the book of Wrecks on Cape Cod, Mass. I intend on checking back there when the tide is in my favor. I certainly hit the MOTHER load to say the least when I got there last week. Happy Hunting WHYDAH

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Spooky,
My friends & many others have commented the same as you did, in refernce to being a BANNER FIND. Not to toot my own horn, but, I have to agree, even if they aren't that old or havn't been there to long, it's still a CACHE of coins, and note worthy of the find. Thanks again, and Happy Hunting. WHYDAH

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I agree with you about this being a recent find. The salt water does take it's toll. I usually hit the beach in Delaware after a NorthEastern storm. After one story I was suprised to find the beach cut down about 12'. I started detecting the 12' wall of sand. After about 10 min. I got a hit. I brushed the sand away and looked in the recess. To my surprise I saw an eye looking back! It was a lica lense still mounted to the remains of the camera. The salt water had appearantly turned the coating on the lense silver. There was also the remains of an old radio chassis. Remains of wax capasitors still wired together. I imagine the spy didn't make it.
Well the way I look at it, that day made up for the barren find days.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"maybe some kids playing PIRATE at the beach just lost them."

I would have done something just like that as a kid. ;D

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I like to think that some MDer put these coins in his will and asked the executor of his estate to bury them on the beach for someone else to find. I think it would be cool to be able to do that for someone else when I go.

-FH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions