"Calico Jack" Rackhams Lost Loot

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
"Calico Jack" Rackham's Lost Loot

Seems this buccaneer died in FL around 1720, but not before putting down a large cache. One source has it at Lost Man's River another at Shark River --- problem is I can't find either one on a FL map! Either they were called something different back then or I need a more comprehensive map. I think Lost Man's River is part of the Florida Everglades in other words an impossible (on several levels) search area. However Shark River is supposedly along the west coast not too far from here.... Anybody else out there hear of this very tempting treasure lead and if so anything to add...?
HH
-spyguy

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Re: "Calico Jack" Rackham's Lost Loot

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but both of those reach the Gulf near Cape Sable in the Everglades National Park. For further info, try looking up "Lostmans River" or "Shark River" or "Shark Valley Slough". Don't kick yourself too hard, though. Calico Jack probably lost all his money in the nearest gin mill.

Chip V.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jack was hung in Jamaica.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He died like a man with his boot on.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

He was "Hanged like a dog because he refused to fight like a man!" This according to what Ann Bonnie said to him just before he was hung for piracy.
Aquanut

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where did jack and his friends bury treasure?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

This cache is mentioned in several locations. I have paid none of them any attention because I do not live in the area. But here is a partial listing of citations for the cache if anyone is truly interested in searching further.

Treasure Hunter's Guide, p. 13
Buried Treasure of the U.S., p. 211
True Treasure, Oct. 1975, p. 40
Directory of Buried or Sunken Treasure, p. 54
Treasure Map Atlas, p. 52

I'm certain there are probably more citations, but many pirate caches do not give the exact name of the pirate involved, and therefore remain more nebulous than they should be.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Connecticut Danny said:
Where did jack and his friends bury treasure?
Right in the bottom of the hole they dug to bury it . Where else ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep the personal insults out of the. Forums..

captnjay

Jan 2, 2013
Marco Island, FL.
Detector(s) used
A piece of junk i got for free! need a better one! any for sale?
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
captjay on capt jack

Seems this buccaneer died in FL around 1720, but not before putting down a large cache. One source has it at Lost Man's River another at Shark River --- problem is I can't find either one on a FL map! Either they were called something different back then or I need a more comprehensive map. I think Lost Man's River is part of the Florida Everglades in other words an impossible (on several levels) search area. However Shark River is supposedly along the west coast not too far from here.... Anybody else out there hear of this very tempting treasure lead and if so anything to add...?
HH
-spyguy

From what I see here is some truth and some not. yes he was hung. no it was not in florida! jack's retreat and safe haven was marco island, due to its deep water river with lots of place's hide and many ways in and out! the most likely place when they speak of the "crescent beach" is marcos natural crescent beach. i also have been to "little shark river" to "lost mans river" and up to near goodland there is something there as we all know! from the secret treasure hunting clubs of florida and mel fisher. Mel found lots of coins about the sea bed but was pulled away to the keys on the find of the antois? (spelling is not right) before he could pin point the wreck. so we know this to be true! as the secret clubs still find coins on dives after storms! I my self have stood on the spot i believe to be the lost ship that jack buried on the beach, and my detector gave off a faint sounding, need something better or ground penetrating radar this is one of two spots this ship could lie! the other is in front of the Marriott as during the construction they found a wooden ship deep in the beach, they were forced to walk away and get back to the job at hand and covered it over... good luck getting permission to dig there!!! this is odd as there was never reported any ship wrecking there! now on the other hand to first spot i spoke of is of a ship of the unknown sort and is of the right time frame! the coins found blow goodland is believed to be a Spanish ship and not that of pirates! and the same goes for the lost ship off naples/beneatha beach area! but i guess anything is possible at this point! i know it is near i can feel it!!! for more info on this please check out my web site: Welcome to the PIRATES LORE TRADING POST or feel free to contact me, i can take u there!

ofrogers

Jun 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to go with you sometime..I've been interested in this treasure since Edgar Caycee mentioned it in his sleep..Let's talk more..

Craigwac

Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the crescent beach on Marco Island in front of the Marriott is the obvious resting place of the lost ship. The question is, did Anne Bonney return after the trails to recover the Mexican gold? It appears that she may have married a South Carolina man and moved to Virginia a couple years after Rackham's death. Perhaps the treasure is still there, perhaps not.

I live in SC, but would make the trip to FL to search if we can do so legally. I don't know the laws concerning digging on beaches in FL, although I know plenty of people do on the Atlantic side along the Treasure Beach areas.

Arrowhead17

Feb 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, Calico's Jack treasure is there. There is an Edgar Cayce reading on it.
"(There is a myth or legend of Capt. Calico Jack Rackham, notorious pirateer and pirate, having buried booty on an island in the Everglades, Florida, supposedly north of Oyster Bay. Can or will you locate this, and tell us what you can about how it might be recovered?)
1. EC: Yes.
2. As we find from those contacts here, this has been given through these channels as respecting same, that Rackham's booty, on the island in Lostman's River, above the tide and at the juncture of a tributary some nine and seven-tenths miles from what would be then the coast, or coastal area. [See 1279-1 through 1279-4.]
3. This when put there was in what was a portion of an old tree, inside. This as we find, owing to settlements or activities that have gone on, is covered with debris; but may be located best with the measurements and then with the mercury and the electropoid that is sensitive to gold - though this treasure is not all gold but other booty also.
4. We are through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread