gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I have used both units as well as the older whites tm 800 and Gemini 3. In my experience the best performance was with the older whites tm 800, the patent to that unit is held by the person who now makes the Discovery TF-900 , and looks the same. Two box detectors have a limited use, but if you need one I would buy the TF-900.

On a 12 inch target at over 3 feet deep, I can perform the same with a two box or a well tuned loop detector with a 9.5 coil. The advantage of the two box is that small items will not be detected, so it makes searching in open areas easier. But if you are in a house or constructed area, you will have a hard time using a two box unit since you will pick up things that you dont desire.

take care,

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
Of the two units you ask about I would pick the Whites if those are the only two choices you have. A dedicated two box will always be better than an attachment. As for depth. gflores is correct about the other units. A good loop detector will get the depth but it will read every small object around. If you know you are looking for something the size of a car battery or bigger then the two box will save you from digging unnecessary holes and you can cover more ground faster.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I did not answer your question, yes the Whites unit would be a better option than the Garrett, and to get more depth use manual ground balance, and periodically retune with the handle button when the threshold changes.

good luck.

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
To Gflores and all

I have a TF900 and love the machine, keith wills used to advice me on the machine years back. Its given that a good metal target should give a a consistent two sided signal when crossed, and a one sided signal would probably be mineralization. Recently however i have encountered a consistent one sided signal in one search area, signal just comes from one side ie north to sought but its always there, its a broad signal that makes the meter hang but only from one direction, it dissapears if you cross it. Any thoughts? HH
God bless
Jose

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Try checking the spot with a different detector. Use a good loop detector and see if you get any reading at all. If the soil is agreeable you might try using a probe to see if you hit anything.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Try checking the spot with a different detector. Use a good loop detector and see if you get any reading at all. If the soil is agreeable you might try using a probe to see if you hit anything.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=tagasilay
To Gflores and all

signal just comes from one side ie north to sought but its always there, its a broad signal that makes the meter hang but only from one direction, it dissapears if you cross it. Any thoughts? HH
God bless
Jose
A) Probably a long object in reference to it's basic mass. Such as a pipe, tubing, cable, rifle etc.'
N
[]
[]
E [] W
[]
[]
S
Jose de La Mancha

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try lowering the detector until the back antena is almost touching the ground and manually balance it, then move towards the object in both directions. You should have a FAST increase in signal strength instead of progressive, and look at the value on the meter it should be constant throughout the actual size of the object.(how long it stays in the Highest value= size in one direction)

If it continues to give you a signal only in one direction to me would be nothing worth digging ( mineral), however the only way to be certain is to dig.

Hope this helps

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gflores71
If it continues to give you a signal only in one direction to me would be nothing worth digging ( mineral), however the only way to be certain is to dig.
Hope this helps

A) HA!! "AT LAST" I find something that my friend Dr Flores and I may 'partially' disagree upon. If it is a mineral body giving a sharp response such as described, then it would also be much wider on the E-W coverage since very few mineral bodies are so sharply defined, most are more broadly disseminated in the ground matrix, unless it was an almost pure metal veinlet, in which case===.

Scalpels at dawn Dr Flores? heheh

p.s. If you can find an older '3-D' , which is the prototype of the present twin boxes - 800 & 900 series - try it, it is a much more sensitive machine, even if it is a bother to tune/balance . It gives an almost infinite control of the machine's balance and is more sensitive to metal / mineral discrimination while giving superior depth.

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Joseph,

you are right, usually mineral deposits should be wide, but I have traced long lines before, in the middle of nature, no wires, no pipes, etc.
When searching for caches, to me, it is more important to give the object shape and size than anything else. and once you get a signal with the two box, change to a loop detector and give it a shape and size using signal strength to measure the true size. Discriminators have rarely helped me for cache searching or deciding to dig or not.

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
gflores71 said:
Try lowering the detector until the back antena is almost touching the ground and manually balance it, then move towards the object in both directions. You should have a FAST increase in signal strength instead of progressive, and look at the value on the meter it should be constant throughout the actual size of the object.(how long it stays in the Highest value= size in one direction)

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks to all for the input, all put together helps tremendously in making a judgement call, to dig or not to dig. I would just want to clarify with Gflores on the manual ground balancing, the usuall way is to make a pumping motion and ground balance until treshold is steady, what do you mean by leveling the back antena to the ground and manually ground balance? I also have a spot where there is a slight increase of the treshold from almost all directions, but again signal is broad, i run the tone adjust in a barely audible hum. Im trying to find a jar size object believe left by the japanese during the last war, I have scraped off 4 ft from the search area by bouldozer and believe the target is still 4 ft deep, so my coil detector(sov) is still out of range. Im expecting a faint signal, i dont want to be subjective on the matter, hope you guys could keep me on track. HH

God bless,

Jose

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A jar of goods would definitely not give you a long signal,
what I meant was:
instead of holding the handle at arms length, drop down a bit so that the detector can go as low as possible without touching the ground with the back antena, and balance it with the handle button, dont worry about the pumping action you refer to in the manual.

when checkin for size, sound does not mean anything, you need to look at the intensity of the signal on the meter, if it reaches 100 %, then you can not size the object properly and need to repeat the manual ground balance where you beggin to pick up a signal, therefore cancelling part of the signal so it can be measured in the meter, then you see at what point it reaches the largest value (example 80) and mark that spot, and then mark the spot when the signal starts to drop , again mark that spot, and repeat in a differente direction (180 degrees) and there you have the actual size.
remember not to cancell out the signal completely , if that happens just step away and start again.

I really dont think a two box would pick up a normal jar size with noble metals at 8 feet deep, unless you where in non mineralized soil
check your private messages

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
Hi,

Thanks again for the input, i knew that i was out of range all the while thats why the bulldozer, i will try to ground balance as you suggested. My meter always hovers arround 20 when properly balanced here in Philippines. In my test garden, for a wheel arrow(rim) at 3 ft, it shoots sharply to arround 40. I will try your visual targeting by meter and not by sound. I will try to get in touch tom since im in a different time zone.

God bless,

Jose

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[gflores71 ]

when checkin for size, sound does not mean anything, you need to look at the intensity of the signal on the meter,
A) Again I must admit that Dr Flores is absoloutely correct. It takes almost 10 times the diffrence in power of the sound to equal a doubling which a normal human ear can detect. "Decible thingie"

So, while only a tiny bit of voltage change is indicated accurately on the meter,the ear needs far far more to detect a change or difference. Incidentally, set the sound range betwee 1000 & 7000 cycles for max hearing reponse in general.

Conclusions? Obvious, meter for sensitiveness, earphones - turned down to safe levels - for searching without constantly watching the meter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really dont think a two box would pick up a normal jar size with noble metals at 8 feet deep, unless you where in non mineralized soil
A) I completely agree on this also, so I question your original readings or reactios. I doubt that a jar of coins etc., would read that far, a soid mass of that size "might", but?

Now that you have scraped off 4 ' , does the signal still remain the same or has it increased?

Till Eulenspiegle De La Mancha

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
Hi Realde,

When i was primarily searching the area, there was no signal at all, now that i have scraped off 4ft i begun to recieve as i have mentioned earlier the one sided broad signal that i suspect to be minerals except for the consistency. The other location within the area gives me an increase of treshold from almost all sides, very faint though, but i have noticed the meter slightly increasing when X-ing. I hope it corresponds to a jar of coins at 4 ft depth. the earthen jars are about 5 gallons in volume, so they are relatively large. I will take into consideration all your inputs as soon as i get back to the field...i think your tips on watching the meter will help a lot since i mostly relly on the treshold sound and the meter as a secondary tool for location.
HH

God bless,

Jose

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[tagasilay
the earthen jars are about 5 gallons in volume, so they are relatively large.
Jose
A) shehs you are talking about Ollas, not glass jars, a huge difference. So I agree that it could easily b possible. to indicate it at 4 ft.

Till Eulenspiegel de La Mancha

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joseph,

pack your bags, august is near, however if you cant make it to south america I will gladly send you some pictures..hahaha
by the way I am close to buying that 172 xp to get around down there

a five gallon container with noble metal would be an olla (clay pot), however it is still noble metal in there , therefore cut the detection depth by half

take care

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
I just bought a 20 yr old 2 box Garrett bloodhound depth multiplier... I heard it works off the low 5000 range... any input would be great.... I do not know anything really about the Two boxes, except most people hate them... Why do they hate them?.... I think the technology behind them makes sense.... Is it because of the tempermentalness of the units?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread