deep seeking detectors

D

Donna 2

This is a request for anyone who has a "Deepers 8" detector (manufactured in Mexico) or one of Bob Fitzgerald's "Maxi-Pulse" units.
I'm trying to find a good detector to help locate a deep gold cache and these two units both claim to have deep detection capabilities.? Both are expensive so I would like as many opinions as possible before investing.
Thanks for any information that anyone could share.
Donna

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Donna. If you'd like to get a unit with the same depth but lower cost, then contact some of the guys on the pulse detector forums and have them help you build one. I built one with a 1 meter loop for about $120 and it works great. It will detect up to 5 feet for an iron pot lid. Don't believe the hype about 20 feet - not gonna happen unless you're looking for an abandoned army tank :) I'll be glad to help you if you want to email me.

All the best to you,
Darren

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Donna
For a long discussion about the Deepers models go to the discussion below yours. Noble Metal's " A very serious question for all of us". Unfortunately, we do not have any feedback from folks who have bought these exotic versions- which is not a good sign. Discrimination abilities( gold or iron?) and sensitivity to small objects are "iffy" issues with these models.

The? issues are 1. how deep is the gold? 2. Is the gold in a iron container? 3. Do you desire iron discrimination? 4. Cost?

There are a lot of options here- For shallow depth- Darren's idea is a good one for an inexpensive PI. They also sell used PI's eg. used Minelab 2100 with large coil-used $1300(an estimate). You have to remember that PI's lack reliable discrimination- usually can not distinusih iron from gold- whereas VLFs can determine iron. Lots of fun digging 5 feet for that iron pot lid. If your target is deep(beyond 5 feet) you will have to go to a 2 box detector or a magnetometer is the cache is in an iron box. Darren is right about the depth issue.

If I was looking for gold placed in an iron box 5' to 10'- My choice would be a magnetometer- I would look at a Magnawand(utility locator- cost $670) www.Magnawand.com It will detect a manhole cover at 10'. Why this one? This magnetometer has the ability to distinuish between hortizontal iron trash and objects with depth e.g. iron box or iron barrel. Beats digging 7' to find a trash can lid.

Which is the deepest VLF for caches?(remember VLF's offer iron discrimination). I suggest you take a look at this hoard hunter from the UK. Go to www.garysdetecting.co.uk/
Go to "new deep detector from Bulgaria". The link will? show you the G-Tech Hunter. He employs a radical new coil design which apparently offers superior depth compared to conventional detectors. Disadvantages here- New design- no effective feedback from users yet- High cost $2200 US without large coils- custom made- a month to obtain- Apparently you have to go to the UK to pick one up?(I don't know about this)-warranty issues?

Well I hope I can given you some more options to consider.
George

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Donna 2
You might want to check into the "specs" of The Fisher FX-3,
it sells for $400? ?:D? at Kellyco!
SCRATCH THAT!
? :-[ I just reread your post and see that you are looking for a Gold Cache!
I'm afraid the the FX won't be of any help, unless the gold is in an iron container!
BUT!
I you are certain of the location, what is TOO Expensive?
If you find the cache, I am sure that the find will more than pay for a $400-500-600+... deep seeking detector!

OP
OP
D

Donna 2

Thanks all of you for your replys. The cache is not in an iron container, just a trench in the ground, but put there over 100 yrs. ago so who knows how deep it may be now.
My Fisher 1280X hasn't got enough depth detection on gold alone to locate it, thus my quest for a deep seeker. The area is also very overgrown with underbrush and it has had a major wind storm go through years ago and there is a lot of deadfall.
Best to all of you
Donna

OP
OP
D

Donna 2

I talked with a man yesterday who is convinced that the Garrett? GTI 2500 would be good for my purposes. It has optional coils that can convert it into a two box. Has anyone used this detector and what do you think of it?
Thanks? ?Donna

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I have a Garrett 2 box that attaches to a Grandmaster CXIII that I have. It works in a all metal mode and on BIG items. A general rule is the bigger the coil the deeper it will go but you can loose the small deep items. It just depends on how big the cache is you are looking for and how deep you think it is.

OP
OP
D

Donna 2

I'll have an opportunity to test a Garrett GTI 2500 within the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know the results.
Donna

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Donna 2, I wish you sll the best in your hunt. Don't forget to post if you find anything. We need fuel for the hunt. Any way, the TF 900 from Discovery is around $400 new and will find gold. They are a bit tempermental in highly mineralized areas but for a cache of gold at 3-6 ft their great. The Garrett machines are good as well, but not as deep in a few applications. The price to purchase a Garrett then make it a two box may help make that descision for you. Check it out and have a ball. Good luck & HH! Chris

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
For the price of a Garrett GTI 2500 with the 2 box attachment you could buy a Whites TM 808 two box AND a Fisher Gemini III two box. The Garrett is a very good machine but when it comes to using a two box I have found that a machine specifically dedicated to that purpose works better than an attachment. Both the Whites and the Fisher have their pros and cons. I would say the Whites does better in mineralized areas and it has a feature to locate voids. The Fisher can be split apart and used by two people up to 15 feet apart to cover a wider area. Both will locate objects 5+ feet depending on their size but neither have discriminating abilities.

If you are fairly sure of the area, I would take the time to clear it of brush and deadfall and then go in with a detector.

OP
OP
D

Donna 2

Thanks to all of you for your info and encouragement -- going to need lots of encouragement? -- snow is what I see outside of my window. My cache area is in high country so it will be next summer before I can get back there. If things improve weatherwise here, I'll be able to try out that Garrett on some local possibilities. I've ordered the Garrett - not happy with the depth capabilities of my Fisher 1280X. I'll also be in mineralized soil and Fisher doesn't do too well on that either.
Donna

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
donna, this is for your future reference. the maxi-pulse units from fitzgerald are capable of at least 30 ft. they will pick up small peices of rebar at 26 ft. the mother lode locator will pick up larger targets to 130 ft.deep. and also cover a half acre at one time. i have dealt with bob on many occasions and he is always available and happy to answer any questions you may have both before and after purchasing his equipment. i have tried a garrett cx3 with a 12 inch coil over a known target that was 9500 pounds of silver buried 4 and 1/2 feet, not even a sound. have tried a cx7 with a two box, nothing. fisher two box, a little quiver of sound. went over same spot with maxi-pulse, BAM THERE IT IS. also picked up with mother lode locator, raven, and good old fashioned divining rods. research is what pinpointed this first though.

N

Noble Metal

Donna, a friend of mine has a Deepers 8 AT. He has nothing to do with the company, and is only pure in honesty. ~ He had also owned the Deepers 7.... He has been testing for a few weeks now, and at this very moment is actually preparing a seperate website to show and log his views. ~ The web will be up soon, and I will let you know...

(Did you make sure to order the Treasure hound with the GTI 2500?

And Thanks, Noble Metal.

N

Noble Metal

For some discrim in playing around, and in deep larger targets only, I have been wondering just what the Whites DFX might be able to do hooked-up with their 25" loop for it..
Would be interesting; for larger and deeper targets only, anyone tried that yet?...

Thanks, and Hi to all..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any metal object connected to any detector, will not interfear (be seen by the detector) the object must be moving to be detected. tape a quarter to your coil, turn on your detector & tune it, and place a quarter on the ground. you should be able to detect the quarter on the ground.

D

Davy R

Hi Tim and Jeff
I own and use the PI Deepers 7 and 8 with the 1 meter coil. I have four 8 inch plastic pegs which I balance the 1 meter coil on to do in-air tests out in the garden. As I have followed the manufacturers advice and used the 1meter coil with another person carring it, I decided to test out what you mentioned. At full power settings I balanced the machine. These are my findings:
Holding the unit just under my chin, (I am 6 ft tall) there was no change in threshold as I stepped into the coil. As I lowered it down to mid chest height the threshold tone rose steadily up, lowering to the 2 ft mark between unit and coil. At this point the machine was screaming its head off and the discrimination light came on. I don't know why this happens, seems the manufacturer is right. So it looks like a 2 man team as usual. I do not have time today to finish the test as it's getting dark and again it is starting to rain :-(
As to depth claims, some common sense is in order. I do not want a machine that is going to pick up signals 30 ft deep. That is ok for professional treasure hunters with large budgets. They can afford to employ machinary to help them excavate. We are on our own with a spade at which we take turns digging. The Deepers 7 and 8 fit the bill. Very deep but nothing crazy. A class piece of kit.
Davy R, Scotland UK

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, My Bad; I am not familiar with LRL, or PI's enough to comment. I was just commenting as to my opinion on why I THINK, they don't pick up the control box. Guess I should stick to what I know, that I know? ?:D? HH ; Jeff

D

Davy R

This is what a forum is about, to ask question and get answers.
I know enough to get me in trouble! (But obviously don't know enough to keep out of it :-)

Have A Nice Day Tim.

Davy R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread