Secret Compartment found in house

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No big treasure here, but this is still cool. My brother and mom recently bought a big house in VA. My brother was sitting in the living room looking at the shoe moulding and noticed that it looked strange. He walked over, stuck a butter knife in the molding and this huge piece of it swung out on hinges! Sadly, nothing was inside, but it was super cool. I am encouraging him to search the rest of the house carefully. So, don't forget about moulding when searching houses.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
WOW!! That is totally awesome! Too bad there was nothing in it! If there's one, hopefully there will be more!

vicki

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and drawers in the stairs....

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a book published called "Hidyholes". I don't know the author, but he points out many ideas people used to hide valuables. Might be worth looking into. There could be more of them in the house that do have something in them.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
If I found one secret compartment I would really search hard for more. I rented a house last year here in Louisa, Kentucky that was full of secret compartments. Didn't find much, but had a great time looking. Good luck.

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
I have heard stories from revolutionary war era where compartments were formed under front steps both inside or out for defence weapons...just a thought

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a flooring job for a brain surgeon once.His house had a large bookcase that slid open to reveal a room with a large safe in it.Just like in the movies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread