Virginia Cache Of The Infamous Stagger Lee

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Stagger Lee is the name i will use in place of the person whose cache i am currently searching for. Stagger was a hill person here in southwestern VA and known to run moonshine,His residence was located just outside of what is known as jefferson national forest.Through library research and his arrest records at the county court house stagger had been imprisoned twice for bootlegging,One of the arrests is still the largest moonshine arrest in VA history,They found his still and over 300 gallons of moonshine in Georges Fork VA but of the two arrests on record for stagger lee,no cash was ever recovered and its known that he bootlegged from at least five seperate still sites within a 40 square mile radius of his residence.In the thirty five years he spent bootlegging in the geroges fork,jefferson national forest area,The chances of his money still being buried is quiet plausible but where to begin searching for it is the eternally damning question stuck in my mind.Anyone who is knowlegable on the habits of moonshiners and know of any recovered bootlegger caches that i could use for reference please post a link here or send me an email.It would be much appreciated. I would like to add that in the one year we have spent searching for this cache,we have locate his original residence and a few half dimes on the property but nothing of any real signifigance. Any and All research materials would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance and Happy Hunting.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Given the area and the history of the people there I don't know if I would persue this . Your call if you choose to go further .

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
A note from a buddy of mine whos people operated stills in WV. They used to burry money under the cook fires for the still...if the Revenuers found their site they would destroy the still operation and then the Moonshiner (if he got away) would come back and dig up the money he needed to start another still at a different location. Find where the old still was and look under the firepit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread