Who is likely to stash a modern day cache?

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
Times have changed since many old caches were hidden away. Today most folks that have access use banks unless they have a good reason for not wanting to. But there are still many good reasons for hiding valuables, particularly with so many filing for bankruptcy and divorce. Hiding assets during these proceeding is not something new. Also, avoiding the IRS and law enforcement is another good reason.

I have only recently begun to consider cache hunting and given thought to who might have been candidates for hiding them. To me the logical candidates are those people that might have died suddenly, become incarcerated for a long period or suffered deteriorating mental abilities during the later stages of their life. It would seem logical that if someone had stashed away valuables they would have used them toward the end of their life unless something or some event prevented them from doing so.

I have tried to place myself in their shoes to determine what I might have done and what would have occurred if something unexpected happened to me.

However, I know that two or more heads are better than one so I am inviting comments from anyone that has any ideas to contribute to this discussion.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people just like to keep cash on hand. They would rather pay cash and avoid the hassle of banking.

DBFISHER

Apr 21, 2009
Elkhart, IN.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350 , Fisher F-70
I think today's cache would be found more in the homes instead of being buried out in the yards, Just from the laziness of people now days.

Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Bob, do you have anybody in mind who's possible caches you may be looking for? Also, if someone hid items belonging to them, on their property, and you came and discovered them while they were in prison or away and took them...i dont know it just sounds like it could lead to trouble. :-\

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smasher said:
I think today's cache would be found more in the homes instead of being buried out in the yards, Just from the laziness of people now days.

Crawl spaces are safer from rain and prying eyes. People who have cash businesses hide income from the tax man. Yup, they do. ;)

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
westerntreasurehunter said:
Bob, do you have anybody in mind who's possible caches you may be looking for? Also, if someone hid items belonging to them, on their property, and you came and discovered them while they were in prison or away and took them...i don't know it just sounds like it could lead to trouble. :-\

No one in mind at this time. Just trying to establish the possibilities for research. As with any venture you have to way the possible risks versus the possible rewards. If I knew a bank robber was in prison for 25 years and he might have buried the loot at his house and the house had been vacant for some time, now let me think, what would I do? Seriously, I would first try to find legitmate access to the property, maybe by renting it, offering a free boron inspection, appraisal service, whatever came to mind. Then if that didn't work I would have to consider other alternatives which I won't discuss here. Read Karl VonMueller's books.

DBFISHER

Apr 21, 2009
Elkhart, IN.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350 , Fisher F-70
calisdad said:
smasher said:

Crawl spaces are safer from rain and prying eyes. People who have cash businesses hide income from the tax man. Yup, they do. ;)
Hey calisdad, are you talking from expierience.LOL

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smasher said:
calisdad said:
smasher said:

Let's just say I have a friend who's always coming up with moldy smelling 100 dollar bills. :D

K

Kentucky Kache

calisdad said:

calisdad said:
smasher said:
calisdad said:
smasher said:

Let's just say I have a friend who's always coming up with moldy smelling 100 dollar bills. :D

calisdad, could you PM me your address and the time you'll be on vacation? Its about a free boron inspection. ;D

S

stefen

A lot of narc dealers are known to bury money on thier property...

Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
No, i completly agree with you. If the reward outweighs the risks, then go for it, just be careful as always. And yes i do need to read that book! From what ive heard its full of vital information for thr's.

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
There is more than one book, but the most popular ones are Treasure Hunters Manual #6 and #7. They can be found on the internet for around $10-15 each.

jayheazy

Oct 13, 2007
I was recently visiting my grandfather and one night after dinner the two of us were sitting outside around the fire talking with a friend of his, lets call him joe.

Joe had recently went through a nasty divorce from his wife of many years. His exact words were "she took me to the cleaners", and laughed about it. I asked how that is funny and this is what he told me. Joe said that she hated doing any gardening but insisted they have rose bushes around their house. So he had to build the flowerbeds and maintain all these rose bushes for years. The entire time they lived there she "never did a bit of gardening". Well when the divorce was final he lost the house, car, and most of the savings. she went as far as hiring a forensic accountant to look for anything else she could take.

About a year later Joe tells his daughter to take her mother to a city about an hour away for a nice birthday dinner. He says call me when you are at the restaurant , which she does. Joe then went to his old house and dug up over 100k from that flowerbed. This happened in the last 10 years, so they are still hiding money out there.

Needless to say this got me really interested in cache hunting.

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew an old fart who had Pawn shop and pool business.....he said he buried money in Mason Jars around the Pool.

S

stefen

Maybe 10 years or so ago, I was having a Field Consultation with a Contractor for a hillside tennis court project with stables below, for an estate in a equestrian community.

While discussing the plans over the hood of a truck, a caravan of local Police and Feds pulled onto the site...

And within a few hours, they had opened the concrete floor of the garage and had uncovered several sealed barrels containing cash.

Being drug related, the property was seized, and needless to say, the project ended abruptly.

Later, it was published in a local paper that money was found buried on several homes the dealer bought for his mother and other family members.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old people like to cache. But I dont think buryied out in the yard. Basement, or other out building, where they could hide and fetch some money when they needed it. I know of a couple people that did this, and lived on the same property and didnt even know the other was hiding anything! They would hide it, then forget it, and hide more. The biggest problem in finding a cache like this is that it is often hidden in a plastic container, and if paper money, then no chance of finding it with a md. Of course where there is paper, there is often coins too. Another good place to look is an indoor planting bed, anywhere someone can go and not be seen when they wont be seen.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone who runs a cash business and/or someone who owes the IRS. Personally, I would be afraid to keep it in the house for fear of fire, if one ever broke out. An outbuilding would be better but I would still bury it.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i might just bury a altoid tin with some pennies in the yard just for a future cache hunter ta find so it will be posted on this site 50 yrs from now :laughing7:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogpound said:
i might just bury a altoid tin with some pennies in the yard just for a future cache hunter ta find so it will be posted on this site 50 yrs from now :laughing7:

Don't forget to put a treasure map and a news clipping of a bank robbery. :laughing9:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
calisdad said:
dogpound said:

Don't forget to put a treasure map and a news clipping of a bank robbery. :laughing9:
great idea :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread