New to this from Scotland

Desperados

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
First of all I would like to say high to everyone at treasurenet,

Ok might aswell get straight to the point, I am interested in cache hunting in scotland and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as to:

A- What Equipment is needed
B - where and how i wound find any leads
C- what are the 'Rules' Regarding any things we find

Your help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance - Desperados

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Desperado

I suggest you Research in libraries, old newspapers and treasure hunting books They will lead you to possible caches. To find caches you have link events in history to give people reasons to hide money or treasure.

There is a lot of crofters house in Scotland but do not expect much as they were the desperate poor that were cleared out during the highland clearances. There ruins can still be seen today.

Any old Jacobite ruined houses may be worth while checking out. After Jacobite uprising many clans fled their lands to foreign shores leaving the possibility of small caches left behind in a hurry. They thought they could return when the storm blew over. But they never returned and made a new life out into outer edges of the British Empire.

Crow

OP
OP
D

Desperados

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010

Cant wait to research the jacobites (always loved history but hated the essays lol)

How deep will my metal detector need to scan?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Desperados.

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

I'll give you a lead.........
My kin were victimized during the Highland Clearances of the early 1800s. Forced closer to the sea, they couldn't make it and eventually emigrated to Canada in the 1830s, but not before getting some gold coins years earlier destined for Bonnie Prince Charles army.

The French supported the bonnie prince and shipped gold coin to him in the 1700s'. Near the town of Tongue, Scotland, is a very small lake called Hacoin (though other variations of the word are used; like Hakon,etc.)
In the middle of that lake is an ancient stone ruin. Today, it's a calm and serene fishing spot and viewpoint for the mountains to the south. 'Back in the day' the ship on which the coins were being transported was forced into the Kyle of Tongue. Trapped, the crew, carrying the coins, attempted to march cross country to BPC's camp, but at lake Hacion, they were met by (the 'enemy') my clansman, the Mackays. The record indicates that at least some of the coins were thrown into the lake as BPC's allies attempted to escape.

A myth? Not reallly. If you check out the British survey maps of the early 1800s you'll note that gold coins are indicated as being found around the lake--and, like has been mentioned above, we didn't have (and never saw) gold coins before, much less use them in trade.

If you get to that area, I suggest you stay at the Tongue House; then visit the church and the castle (Varrich) across an inlet of the kyle.
Aye, Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I've been there and MD-ed. There are plenty of 'treasure' stories about Scotland; you need only 'dig' a little into researching the area. Here's a couple more: There's another little lake below Farr-Bettyhill that was near a health spa. It became a custom for visitors to the spa to throw coins into the lake for good luck in their treatment.
You may also know that placer gold deposits were discovered in Scotland. Again, the survey maps of the mid-1800s will show you where (north of Dornoch)
Don..

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Desperados, Scotland should be an awesome place for detecting. Caches would have been common during times of raiding, Scotland was raided by many from years of incursions by Vikings, English, Irish, other clans and centuries of political squabbles etc.
During these uncertain times many would have buried items of value and told no-one, then been killed or permanently driven away, unable to return because of occupation by enemies.
Yes I would be thinking ancient caches, Scotland was once a gold producer too as has been mentioned.
Thieves or raiders buried their valuables too, afraid they would be raided themselves, no banks much in those times.
Research sites you can access, where people lived and raiding was happening. Good luck and think hard what you will do if you find a really good one, if you keep at it I believe you are definitely in the most likely place to have great success. Good luck, Nuggy.

OP
OP
D

Desperados

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks everyone, Yeah the ancient caches were what i imagined i would find, will need to start researching into ancient sites near arran, cumbrae ect :)

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desperados said:
Thanks everyone, Yeah the ancient caches were what i imagined i would find, will need to start researching into ancient sites near arran, cumbrae ect :)

Where aboots dae ye live in Scotland? Chic

OP
OP
D

Desperados

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
I live in glasgow for the vast majority of the year but also up near inverness.
Cant drive so can only go as far as public transport/my legs will carry me :laughing7:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desperados said:
I live in glasgow for the vast majority of the year but also up near inverness.
Cant drive so can only go as far as public transport/my legs will carry me :laughing7:

I'm Fae Kinning Park and I do a lot of detecting when I come hame on holiday tae Thornhill, near Drumfries. It's a great wee hobby I'm sure ye'll enjoy it. Good luck wae yer cache hunting but I wid just concentrate on detecting and if yer lucky ye'll run across yin. O' The Best, Chic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread