Ethics of a known Cache

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Lets say for the sake of argument I know the location of a modern cache, and the person who told me about it is now dead (with no surviving family). But the property they lived on where the cache is was sold to new people. What would you do?

You could take the direct path and tell the people and loose everything. Or maybe they would share with you. Or maybe they would rent a metal detector and find it them selves.

You could also play it like a ninja and dig it at night, risking the chance of getting shot. No amount of money is worth dying for...

Id like to hear alternative ideas.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
photo-master said:
Lets say for the sake of argument I know the location of a modern cache, and the person who told me about it is now dead (with no surviving family). But the property they lived on where the cache is was sold to new people. What would you do?

You could take the direct path and tell the people and loose everything. Or maybe they would share with you. Or maybe they would rent a metal detector and find it them selves.

You could also play it like a ninja and dig it at night, risking the chance of getting shot. No amount of money is worth dying for...

Id like to hear alternative ideas.
First step I'd take is to contact the current owners and ask for permission to use a detector on the property.

Second step is to get a written, signed agreement with owners. Take agreement with you when first contacting them: say it's a standard form, and protects both parties if there are problems in the future.

Go from there.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tuberale, ask permission to metal detect on the property, and get an agreement in writing. That way you are covered if you find it and they try to get it from you. Remember that you still have to do the work of finding it. I would not mention it to the property owners unless you actually found it. I would not trespass to get it. You could always find it and re-bury it, bide your time with the knowledge of what it is really worth, and retrieve it under better circumstances. I wish you good luck in your search. Niffler

OP
OP
photo-master

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Thanks guys. I think the contract (of 50-50) would be very fair. I will just need to work on my academy award winning performance to not give it away. I just hope the current owners would go for it, contracts tend to scare off country folks... But I'm not gonna do nothing anytime soon.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Why mention the cache? Just go up and ask permission to detect the property. Just like you would go up and ask at any other house/property. Tell them you are interested in looking for coins, relics, CW items etc... and then say If I find anthing we can split 50/50.

No contrat, just a verbal agreement. Worth a try. I think a contract would raise some suspicions.

If they say no, then you will have to come up with plan B. :icon_pirat:

Ray S ECenFL

Terry(Mi)

Greenie
Jan 29, 2011
photo-master said:
Thanks guys. I think the contract (of 50-50) would be very fair. I will just need to work on my academy award winning performance to not give it away. I just hope the current owners would go for it, contracts tend to scare off country folks... But I'm not gonna do nothing anytime soon.

If they live in an older style house, or have property where an older home/building once stood, I like to start off with a basic "detect your yard" approach. Once you get permission for that all you need to do is find an old coin/button/relic or two, and give it to them Once you build their trust ....THEN start working your way to the bigger question of "what if there was a small treasure here, would you folks be interested in a split, IF I found something"
Once you get the trust hammered down, the rest is usually pretty easy. Good luck :icon_thumright:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:
Why mention the cache? Just go up and ask permission to detect the property. Just like you would go up and ask at any other house/property. Tell them you are interested in looking for coins, relics, CW items etc... and then say If I find anthing we can split 50/50.

No contrat, just a verbal agreement. Worth a try. I think a contract would raise some suspicions.

If they say no, then you will have to come up with plan B. :icon_pirat:

Ray S ECenFL

:thumbsup:

Terry(Mi)

Greenie
Jan 29, 2011
10claw said:
i like terry's approach best so far. thanks terry :icon_sunny: :coffee2:
tenclaw

yw tenclaw. it does work. another way to look at it is ....if they wont let ya scan their yard for a few wheat pennies or buttons, the likely-hood of them allowing you to look for "a big treasure" would most certainly be off limits, and you dont have to tip your hand as to what might be there.
Ive done well over 500 "cold knocks" in my time, and its something you get a real good feel for.... I usually know the answer within the first 3 seconds they open the door. If you dont have the gift of gab, or you have intelligence that the land owner could be a tough cookie to crack, just start small ....take your time and work up from there.

Terry(Mi)

Greenie
Jan 29, 2011
Mr.Jody said:
Depending on the size or value of it, i think I would wait it out till its vacant...just my opinion.. :coffee2:
Yes, this could be true also .....so long as you know they MIGHT be vacating soon. Theres been a couple properties Ive wanted to gain access to for 8-10 years, but the land-owners are still there and going strong ...LOL, just the nature of the beast, and the next hurdle to jump :wink:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are missing very vital info in this scenario. The discription of the property. Is this an occupied house lot in a city? Empty house site in town? Empty lot in town? Occupied house in the country? Vacant in the country? Woods / wilderness ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread