***CACH IN TIME-NORTH CAROLINA***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Time to download info on NC !
Here a little known item. This is called the Brummels Inn Cache. Jacob Brummel, a wealthy slave owner operated a operated Brummels Inn on the old stage road between Greensbor and High Point. In thw winter of 1854, William D. Weatherford stopped overnite. He buried a satchel of gold in the nearby woods between two trees. A few hours he died of natural causes.and was buried in the graveyard in the rear of the inn. As far as is known, the cache was never found. I don't know if the Inn is still standing, but the graveyard should be there, and maybe the gold!
If it's your area, take a shot at it. Frank

K

Kentucky Kache

I wonder how it was known that the guy buried the satchel, and where.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Beauford Co. About 5 miles from Chocowinty is the site of Confederate batteries on the Pamlico River that were used in 1863. At Rodmans Point near Washington, is the scene of the battle between Confederate and Union forces on Nov.1,1863

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kache: According to the story it slipped out during a conservation with the owner. Maybe to much to drink.
But it also stated that the owner looked, but couldn't find it. Frank

K

Kentucky Kache

Frankn said:
Kache: According to the story it slipped out during a conservation with the owner. Maybe to much to drink.
But it also stated that the owner looked, but couldn't find it. Frank

Time to get out the detector. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Traveling south from Henderson, the tiny village of.Kittrell is about 8 mi. down the road. Take a right on Lynbank Road and drive to Ruin Creek. Here you may find the ruins of Popcastle Inn, a colonial tavern and gaming house that flurished until about 1860. The structure was orginally built by a nobleman and later owned by Capt. Pop, a pirate that claimed, I head a heap of gold not far from here. Unfortunately the old pirate died without telling his family the exact location of his cache, and as far as is known, it has not been found.
Sounds like some interesting weekends for a local. Beats pulling clad from the sod ! Frank

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Dang, I was hoping you had some other info. :laughing7:

Brummel's Inn is well known around this area, was even mentioned on the news, I think last summer.

Thanks for the info, I hope someone finds it.

There is another little item I have been trying to find out about, happened with an armored car, early 70's I think. You could pm that info. :tongue3: :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Natural, It's buried in that orchard beside the house they were staying in.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I know that people were looking for that gold back when I was around 8 or 10, so better than 45 years ago.

It may still be there, maybe not, who knows. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Natural, only you if you go there and find it or only only the one before you if they found it.
That's the beauty of TH, no paper trail! Frank

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
This cache should be easy pickings. WDW is healthy enough to bury the satchel
in the nearby woods between two trees digging around all those tree roots. No
wonder the poor guy died of natural causes. He probably had to move a lot of rocks
also. Then he checks into the inn and tells the innkeeper he just buried a satchel
of gold outside. After he croaks the innkeeper, being so wealthy, tells all his friends
the story and they all agree to keep the yarn going but refrain from seeking it. Or
maybe they went to the woods, retrieved the satchel and since there was a hole
already dug laid WDW to rest without notifying his family. He signed the register
with his name or no one would know his name. Just wondering.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Lack of finding a paper trail (yet), is keeping me from the other that I seek.

Life has a way of getting in front of what you would like to do at times.

I do have an idea though. :laughing7:

Thanks Frank :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Lastleg, The stories that I posted here are only outlines of major details to give the guys places to search.
I also realized there would be guys that nitpic. The story sayes they buried him in the cemetery behind the inn. Look at it this way, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go check out the graveyard for his name. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Black Mountain- On the summit of a mountain peak about 2mi. north of the town of Black Mountain, early dutch farmers hid several caches of treasure before being massacred by Indians. One cache was found just outside the town limits and consisted of several hundred gold coins, 25 ten pound silver bars, and over 100 pieces of colonial silverware. Frank

Last edited:

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there more than one Brummel's inn I found a listing on Google for one in Davidson county that's one the national register of historical places.

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there more than one Brummel's inn I found a listing on Google for one in Davidson county that's one the national register of historical places.

Looking at the treasure atlas turns out its supposed to be north of high point which is around davidson, and Guildford county so maybe info got mixed up or county lines changed over time.

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frankn,

That is a good one...we have one like it here in Ohio, Adams county-oldest Inn in Ohio if I remember right--same thing, guy is murdered though and his body/head not found until something like 100 years alter during a furnace install it was under a large stone in the basement. The inn owner had murdered him but he had buried the gold(at least that was the theory).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread