Cache is there but how to find it...any thoughts

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
another place is the fireplace, I restored a few homes and found all types of things while removing mantles also the last post on the staircase handrails the top comes off some and makes a nice deep spot to hide things. and last but not least some houses have plumbing access behind the tub where you can see the pipes as well as up under the tub.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
boogeyman said:
Darned good idea for a stash box. Thought you were gonna tell us it opened up & on the back was all the good collectible tools. Hmm.... If there's one 60% chance there's another.

I've actually found a number of cache stash places in several old homes over the years, but they've all been "relieved" of their contents long before I got there. (Under stairs, between floor joists in a closet with access via pulling back a corner of carpet, under the floor of a small entryway w access by pulling back the linoleum carpeting, in the pumphouse of a barn........

Two things to keep in mind - 1) if located above grade in a house, the contents would likely be destroyed in a fire - most folks were smart enough to avoid this. 2) in areas where the ground freezes in the winter, caches tended to be buried under dirt floors INSIDE a building (basement, barn, garage, etc) so that the "bank" wouldn't be closed during winter months.

Diggem'

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I wanted to make a coin bank in an old house I'd cut a slit in the top of a door and drop coins in. Has to be an old door as newer ones have cardboard bracing. Also look under cabinet bases or under bottom drawers in cabinets. A discriminating detector would be a big help.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
calisdad said:
If I wanted to make a coin bank in an old house I'd cut a slit in the top of a door and drop coins in. Has to be an old door as newer ones have cardboard bracing. Also look under cabinet bases or under bottom drawers in cabinets. A discriminating detector would be a big help.

I'd put a third PVC "vent stack" centered between the two real ones at the end of my septic field with a wing bolt to remove the cap, and a smaller diameter "deposit box" inside....... Accessible year-round, and fire-safe.

Diggem'

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Calisdad, how would you get the coins out?? And what if they rattled when the door was slammed? My dad had a dozen hiding places, most of which I found, but some I'm sure I missed, property is sold now, so what is lost, is lost.
The important thing is that a Bank has to be gotten to easily, with no one seeing, so a basement is the best hidding place.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
mystro7,since the original owner was handy,id look for the plans for that model house,and see
what he added,took out ect,a friend bought a house,and she thought that a wall was an original
wall,she found the house plans in the attic,turns out the folks had divided a large room,she
took the wall out to get the large space back,nothing was hidden in the wall though, so ya never
know what was added or removed,from the original plan,here is an img link maybe his house is
there with the plans, good luck

http://tinyurl.com/3qt483a

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
All great ideas, for sure! I have one more to add that has been use a bunch of times in the past- doorknobs. Folks would put old coins in doorknobs and then fill the knob with scraps of rags, etc to keep the change from rattling. Accessible, not obvious to the neighbors when you are accessing it (looks like you are adjusting your door), not prone to the weather or animals interfering with it, and it is right in the open so 1. no one suspects it and 2. if anyone else tries to access it they cant be sneaky about it. When you get down to it, every inch of any house can be the cover for a hiding place. I bet thousands of homes have been demolished with stashes inside.
Good luck!
-e

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has not already been mentioned:
1. If they had fire place....ck mantel, under floor of fireplace(hearth), hidden door in a closet, Old Phone wall holder( little indent in wall with small shelf to hold phone)might be under shelf or in wall there. Under door sill either front or back door. :thumbsup:

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like most of the logical spots have been discussed. Back in the 40's, windows generally had a 6" frame around them on the inside of the room, that was varnished. Two spots most people don't think about would be the top of the window, which has a natural shelf (all you have to do is remove the board above the window), or the board below the window sill. Easy place to not only match the wood when replacing the board, but easy to conceal with a curtain.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Mystro7,

I grew up in an old mid 1800's farm in southeastern pa. When renovating one part of the house we were pulling up the floor and found a bunch of old coins in a jar. Where an exterior door comes into a house the builders used to add a larger area of concrete to the foundation at that point. We found more coins when working in the other parts of the house to. All at the doors. I wish I would have realized at 10 yrs old what we found. So check in and around your doors that lead outside.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody that does a lot of in-home cache hunting needs to get a Rigid "See Snake". It's a sewer inspection camera system.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SeeSnake-micro

Lets you look behind walls and under floors by just drilling a small hole. No need for any major demolition (unless you find something of course).

Mike

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Almost all has been covered, but here are some off the wall thoughts.
1. Burn the house down, then detect the ashes. You did mention tearing the
house down.
2. Get a dowser.
3. Use a Ground Penetrating Radar
4. Use an Infrared Heat Gun, check the walls and floor and ceiling for temperature
variations.
5. Consider that most old people will use up all their assets by the time they
pass away and there may not be any loot left.
6. My favorite idea: Rent out the place and convert the rent into silver and
gold coins.
Hope this helps or amuses.
Rich

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phone shelf...everyone had them and that lid might open

Attachments

• Phone Shelf.jpg
    Phone Shelf.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,965

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Burning down your own property for the sake of Cache Hunting. Now that should be your last resort for several reasons. :icon_scratch:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I meant it kind of tongue in cheek, and he did say he would tear
it down if it was his.
Sometimes the strangest ideas give rise to other ideas.
Unfortunately burning the house would probably ruin some of the
coins.
Wonderful hobby isn't it?
Rich

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I am with you TF,,, :thumbsup: It is just that sometime the old wood and hardware are worth a lot more than one realizes. :icon_scratch:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Good observation Gray Cloud, I hadn't thought about those
two items.
Treasure if where you find it!
Rich

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a plaster apprentice in the early 70's, I met a Old Timer/Journeyman who told me he did a remodel in New York and when he pulled a Metal Medicine Cabinet a place where some people put used razor blades in the vent/slits, He pulled out this cabinet which has the swinging mirror, he found 22 solid silver coins in the inside wall voids. Check this out, it just might be a winner!
Or find a friend who will lend out the best metal detector in the world, Minelab GPX 5000. If any will find it this will. Good Day Mate.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he moved it outside!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread