Cache is there but how to find it...any thoughts

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
My wife's cousin lives in an old trailer that use to belong to a bootlegger back in the 60's. He was in an outbuilding one day tinkering, and he lost something that rolled off the back of a homemade work bench. Get got under the bench to retrieve it and noticed an old coffee can nailed up under the bench. He stuck his hand up and into it and felt paper...said his heart skipped a beat. When he pulled the can down it had $2300 in 1960's $20 bills in it and some silver dollars. Lucky lucky fellow! Never found and other caches.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
if it was where the blown insulation is,I bet its long gone.

greg55

Mar 28, 2006
If the property has an old well on it, and has a brick curb look inside for a loose brick that may be covering a void, a good place to hide a small cache. Also a well makes a good marker, search several feet or yards away from well on all sides. Be sure to have a buddy along when looking around these old wells, as falling in a well by yourself could be the end of a pleasant treasure hunting adventure! Good luck.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i seen several comments that i agree with , the old medicine cabinet , old window casings , top sides and bottoms have been used .
fireplace hearth , mantle . and of course all the other ones of floors around doors , atics ect,,,

i used to restore antique houses so found alot of cool items hidden in walls , 100 dollars was the most cash .

but here is a story my boss told me of a house they had built for a man , then years later went back to renovate the basement for his wife after he was deceased . while tearing out the plaster they found a large stash of bills stacked on top of the door header where the old man had hid it then replasterd the wall .

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some random ideas.

1. If the home is on blocks or is otherwise elevated off the ground, check to see if you have a "boxed" in area between any of the floor joists on the underside. Take note of the location and then go back inside the house to that location to check for floorboard that was used to access it.

2. The hiding spot was most likely meant to be easily accessible. It is unlikely that he wallpapered over it.

3. Him being a handy man, look for a carpentry related solution for hiding things. In other words, it is very likely to have a proper "secret" door, piece of trim that opens, floor board that opens, etc.

4. Look for anything out of the ordinary for the rest of the construction. For example, a floor board or trim piece that is screwed rather than nailed on.

Just random thoughts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread