silver certificate

D

dking

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has heard of silver certificates in large denominations? I know the Federal REserve used to issue them in $1 denominations but I heard rumors that they also issued them in $1 million denominations during times of war, like during WWII. Assuming these $1 million silver certificates are real, what happens if you try to redeem these certificates? Getting that much back in silver isn't bad but the problem is US currency is not even backed by gold. Thanks for any comments or insights.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D,

welcome to the board.

March of 1964, redemption in silver was abolished.

If you have some, many have a collectors value.

Never knew that:
If all the notes we have now are ever abolished,
you would be able to cash them in for silver. ;D ;)

Congress has to vote to abolish present notes. :-\

have a good un..................

OP
OP
D

dking

Hi, any idea of what the collector value would be for $1 million silver certificates in mint condition? thanks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as a million dollar bill in the U.S.,ever.The closest was a 100,000 dollar note issued in 1934 I believe.

OP
OP
D

dking

thanks for all the replies. But for the sake of argument, is it possible that the Federal Reserve printed $1 million certificates but kept this a secret? I know that $100,000 certificates were supposed to be the largest ever printed and were used only within the banking system but could larger denominations be printed for other unusual circumstances, like war?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Welcome DKing. I don't think its what it appears. When our government needs things to happen in times of war we will send "cakes" of money in the standard denominations which everyone we care about will recognize and honor. I personally know such an individual who responsible for such activities. And if you mean an inter-government loan note, that would be be covered by our governments "promise"... no "bill" required. But if you had a photo, it would be fun to analyse.

S

Selecter

no it s not possible. you have a fake gag bill. highest denomination of bill ever made was 100,000 with woodrow wilson picture on it. Anything over 100 dollars is not meant for general circulation, but only for transfers/payments between Federal Reserve banks. The amounts are so huge 100's would be unwieldy at best.

Very few people have even ever even seen anything higher than a 100. I saw a 1000 once. Dont know why the guy had it.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Selector,
!000 notes have been in general circulation for years. Have never owned one myself, but have seen several.

dking,
I agree with the majority here, you PROBABLY have a fake or gag bill.

grizzly bare

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
1000 notes haven't been in circulation for years. If you have some they have collector value though (you can get more than face value for even fairly heavily circulated ones)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread