Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...Norwalk is close to Bridgeport, very quick by train. Danny should be all over this one. :thumbsup:

Probably in the Norwalk river which outside of what I would do. :( Hmm... :read2:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frank,
My recollection of that story was it occurred in 1853, not 1953, and the value of what he was carrying was much more substantial. A railroad bridge (center section) spanning the river was open to allow a vessel to pass. The engineer on the train didn't see the signal for the bridge being opened. The complete train, including a couple truckful of jewels that accompanied Birke in his 1st class section, then steamed into the river, etc.
Don.....

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very old story. Just think of all the iron and steel that is there cover with dirt and rock. I am seeking true unpublished stories about Connecticut. [email protected].

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Don, It happened on May 6, 1953. The train belonged to the New Haven RR. Birke was an importer for Tawny Gems Ltd. of London. The jewelry was from France, Bavaria and London. With a 30 carat diamond in the mix I would estimate that it was a very conservative estimate of value. You have the circumstances nailed down right. Frank

Diggin The Past- You are very observant. Danny sent me a threatening E-Mail and someone pulled my post, was that you? Frank

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not sent threaten e mails. This is a very sad story. Let us not forget many people lost their lives, and you have to dig many feet of dirt and rocks, and there is no way you can break into train cars to get to the treasures. I knew about this story for many years.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Danny, why would you have to dig many feet in dirt and rock? The train fell in the Norwalk River. The cars broke open and the trunks spilled out. Frank

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope no one has to dig, especially under dirt and rock, it should be right next to the road, waiting to be picked up.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Don, It happened on May 6, 1953. The train belonged to the New Haven RR. Birke was an importer for Tawny Gems Ltd. of London. The jewelry was from France, Bavaria and London. With a 30 carat diamond in the mix I would estimate that it was a very conservative estimate of value. You have the circumstances nailed down right. Frank

Diggin The Past- You are very observant. Danny sent me a threatening E-Mail and someone pulled my post, was that you? Frank

I didn't pull any post of yours. However, I would be interested in checking out that email.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the treasure was next to a road, it would had be found by now. Remember many people died in the train, and their bodies are still there. May they rest in peace.

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
In 1953 there was a train wreck in which Thaddeus Birke lost $50k, at 1953 prices, in the form of gems that included emeralds, pearls, and diamonds one of which was 30 carats. This is a long story so if you are interested, PM me with your address and I will send you a copy along with my notes on it. Frank
here is the link to the account of the accident,which occured in 1853 not in 1953...http://www3.gendisasters.com/connecticut/3360/norwalk,-ct-train-wreck,-may-1853

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well here's a case where you have the story based on two different sources ( I love this).
Let's compare! The story I posted stated it happened in 1953, had 46 deaths and was taken from March '82 Lost Treasure. This story has a treasure slant. The other story stated it happened in 1853 and had 49 deaths and was taken from a posting in Ancestry . com. This story has a news slant and doesn't even mention the treasure. This might be because the treasure news was not known yet since this story is based on a 1853 newspaper account.
The verdict: It happened in 1853, but possibly the treasure is not mentioned because it did not come to light until after the story went to press. I am sure Mr. Burke didn't broadcast the fact that he was transporting valuable jewerly so the treasure part is quite possibility true. Frank

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Danny, there are no bodies still there, no treasure next to the road, and you should learn about Sarcasm. Now you have a whole list of things to search for in ct. Please spend some time researching them! You probably wont have much time to check out leads now, but we will try to keep you posted when a cache is discovered in your area.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
castletonking said:
Frankn said:
In 1953 there was a train wreck in which Thaddeus Birke lost $50k, at 1953 prices, in the form of gems that included emeralds, pearls, and diamonds one of which was 30 carats. This is a long story so if you are interested, PM me with your address and I will send you a copy along with my notes on it. Frank
here is the link to the account of the accident,which occured in 1853 not in 1953...http://www3.gendisasters.com/connecticut/3360/norwalk,-ct-train-wreck,-may-1853

and some more links,NY times,i just skimmed,didnt see the word treasure
news articles
THE NORWALK CATASTROPHE.; LATEST PARTICULARS.
May 9, 1853 - Front Page
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9F0CE6DC1331E13BBC4153DFB3668388649FDE

THE RAILROAD TRAGEDY AT NORWALK
May 10, 1853 - Front Page
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B03E5DC1331E13BBC4852DFB3668388649FDE

New-Haven Railroad Company have paid
July 7, 1853 - Article
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=950CE6D91131EE34BC4F53DFB1668388649FDE

treasureman001

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2007
Anyone interested in the actual newspaper account of the Norwalk train disaster ? I will sell you the actual newspaper which covered the story on the May 6th , 1853 crash. You get the newspaper dated May 14th, 1853 which covered the story on two pages. There are several engraviures ( since photos were not invented until the 1860's) . This article was written by a reporter who visited the disaster less than a week after it happened.. This would be helpful for anyone interested in knowing the real story at that time . If you are interested e-mail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread