Your opportunity to post caches found

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It is likely that some caches have been found. Not everyone wants to admit they personally were responsible for that (for obvious reasons). If you know of your own knowledge that a cache has been found, please let us know. Similarly, if you know a possible treasure story needs to be debunked, let us know as well.

Here's 2:

1) Nearly certain a 4,000 lb. meteorite from the Willamette Valley, Oregon was fictional. Found a stone which came close to the coordinates and closely matched pictures of same, but turned out to be "basaltic andesite", according to spectroscopic analysis. The person who claimed to have witnessed the fall later died in the Oregon Insane Asylum in Salem.

2) A well-known cache from Union County said to contain $20,000 face value in $20 gold coins likely was found already. A container from the cache was located on the property, as well as descriptive rock pointers and other iron objects named in the cache. Only thing not found was a slimly reported multi-quart stoneware jug, supposedly containing some gold and silver coins. No indication of this was found on the property, but that could have accounted for the $1,100 in small gold and silver coins found near the homesite after it was torn apart by treasure seekers after the principal died in 1917.

I do not propose to provide the names of either of these caches/treasures. But if you have done any serious treasure research in Oregon, you probably already know of them.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
At least part of a Confederate Treasury deposit was recovered in Danville , VA in the early 1900's by a
group of men .
A part of that recovery was spent funding a bank , a granite quarry , land speculation , and Baptist churches in NC .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The Fat Patty Cannon legend,DE/MD Is no longer there. There sits a developement with a main road called Patty Cannon Way ! I guess the developer cached in there.

The Charled Wilson Pirate treasure, MD, is or was on National Seasure Property. Rumor has it that it was taken by a night owl.

The Pemberton Hall cache of Civil War guns Is now an historical site. Scratch this one. (MD)

The hidden treasure site of the Jean de Royer Champagne is now under 20' of fill with a High School sitting on it.(MD)

Looks like the Rabbitt cache is in a developed and graded area. (MD)

Here's a good one,found?, I hit the Castle cache in Balto. Co. MD and found a 50 cal. ammo box, but it was a geocache plant in a stone wall. I signed it and left it there for the momentary thrill of the next TH.
Frank

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread! :headbang:

Closest I have been to a Cache so far is to find Zinc lids and empty jars.... :(

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
poorhunter78 said:
This is a great thread! :headbang:

Closest I have been to a Cache so far is to find Zinc lids and empty jars.... :(
Putting an empty jar back where objects were removed is one indication a cache has likely been found. Why would anyone bury an old jar with a zinc top and ceramic lid if not to alert people coming after that what had been lost had now been found? If you have found such a indicator, someone may be trying to tell you something.

Another indication was to nail a horseshoe upside down on a nearby tree, so that it's "luck" ran out. Or if a Dutch oven had the loot, putting rocks in the oven after removing the contents would tell people the "goodies" were gone.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Partner and I got a lead on a gold/silver cache at a nearby old orchard. Gentleman was said to have buried 3 different caches for his children in 1932-34 era, and gave each directions on how to find them. We knew a daughter had already found her cache, but didn't know anything about the son or other daughter's caches. Spent about 4 days on this one, which is less than 20 miles from downtown Portland, Oregon. We did find some interesting things: mule shoe, old jars, ceramic lids, zinc caps, old brake pedal, and lots of junk. But in exploring the windbreak, we found 3 trees (in a row) which appeared to have the right combination of clues to suggest all the kids' caches had been found. In each spot we found a c. 1920 glass jar with zinc cap screwed on tight, and ceramic lid still intact. Each cache appeared to have been buried about 15 feet apart. Only one jar had been broken, but all of the pieces were found. Perhaps the most curious thing about these 3 jars were that each was buried on its side...

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am Very surprised that a Certein someone, Ain't posted to your thread yet. I think the subject has branded every thread on this site!

I remember digging 1 in particular that was broken. Standing straight.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
poorhunter78 said:
I am Very surprised that a Certein someone, Ain't posted to your thread yet. I think the subject has branded every thread on this site!

I remember digging 1 in particular that was broken. Standing straight.
Ummmm :icon_scratch: I fink the person you are referring to got 'excused'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread