OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Picture of Cross

Here's a picture of the front of the cross. This was found on a remote beach without the aid of a metal detector. Over 20 years ago, when I was in this area I was told of gold coins that washed up on the beach after a storm.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Robert, I haven't been back with a metal detector yet, but I do have one of my sons down there at another site. He should be checking out that remote beach in the next week or so. If he finds anything, I will post an update.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! Take it to a jeweler and let us know what he says!

I have seen pictures of some of the older Spanish pieces with pearls, (look in the older Nat'l Geographic shipwreck issues) and usually the pearls are dissolved over time, so this piece may not be that old. Pearls are soft and may be ground down by shifting sand. Another indication of age is how the stone was cut. Diamonds are very hard and only within the last 50 years has the modern 'Brilliant' cut been perfected. A jeweler could tell you whether the stone is genuine, and might have some idea of when it was cut based on its form.

You asked when they put karat markings on gold-- that tradition was started by the Spanish for bullion bars at the assayer, who used Roman numerals to denote karat purity. This wasn't applied to jewelry until much later (late 1800's), when standard alloys began to replace pure gold which is very soft. That doesn't mean that karat markings always appear on gold-- even these days of mass production a few pieces make it out of the factory unstamped.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Thanks for the advice. Sometime this week, when I'm not working, I will take it to a jeweler and get back to everyone.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for that correction, Dell Winders. I wasn't aware of hallmarks applied to jewelry before 1850. Perhaps it was an English adaptation?

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Good to see another ex-operator on the site. Sounds like you may be in Florida. I'm a member of Chapter 85, Special Forces Association out of Stuart Florida. If your'e not already, think of joining - good people.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Hmmmmm....did you take the picture down? I do not see a picture of the cross on my computer. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHERE'S THE PHOTO OF THE CROSS...CAN'T SEE IT !!!! PLEASE REPOST IT..THANX

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Sorry guys and girls, I gave the cross to a movie producer friend of mine in California. I'll contact him and see if I can get him to send me a picture to post.

Bugeater

Greenie
Jun 7, 2008
Found this pic in an old file is this the picture that you are looking for

Attachments

• edfind1[1].jpg
    edfind1[1].jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,466

Bugeater

Greenie
Jun 7, 2008
One would need to know the approx area where it was found ( upper east coast, Florida etc) before you could start to find out more about it, also after a storm or heavy surf?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions