Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: The Offer

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1348 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

Re: The Offer

If i was the land owner i would say....... Thank you for letting me know that it is on my land... And now would you please get off my land..............And that is what i think most people would say....... You did all the work research maps time spent................. But the land owner did not ask you to do that..............
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2195 times

Keppy ,that would be a very bad idea for him. I have given him no clues. He has 9.5 ac and not a hint of the treasure story. I don't give out that info. on purpose. It's my ace in the hole. If he turnes down my offer and has someone else look, he will be back.
    Well the way I look at it he owns 100% of nothing right now and he could own 1/3 of it all . I don't think any one else could find it for him without my notes. And those notes have only been shared with my partner. There is a big "catch 22" reason why no one else could find it on his property. Frank

us
    Apr 2005
    89 times

I am in a similar situation, except, the landowner doesn't know it yet. A man I worked with used to work as a teenager on a large farm to help an old man during the summer. He and his wife passed away, and only had one daughter, who lived over 300 miles away. His daughter would come in every couple of weeks and try to find the treasure her father had buried. She had hired several people with detectors to locate it for a fee, but they were not able to find it. One day while I was in the neighborhood, I stopped long enough to survey the land and do a little investigation. This was not and still is not posted property. She had since sold the property to a realitor and he has started building 4 homes on the property. I haven't approached him yet, and don't know if I will or not. The treasure is a 10 gallon ceramic churn full of silver dollars. Her father farmed for a living, but also worked for a company and was paid in silver dollars. Her never spent any of the silver dollars and also when he sold cattle, tobacco or hay, he also got silver dollars. His daughter told my friend that she remembered him wheelbarrowing the hoard out one night and never returned with it. I am relatively sure I know where it is buried. or in a real close proximity. Also I am relatively sure if I offered a split with the realitor and the daughter found out, we could both lose it in a court battle. I have been sitting on this for about five years now, and the daughter is getting way up there in years, so I may hold off for a while longer. I have offered others a 50/50 split and they have taken the deal. Still, I know of others that were offered the deal and were told to leave and not be caught there again. Each person you deal with can have a different perspective on such a sudden probability of wealth. Good Luck with yours, rockhound
    Prospecting P. likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1348 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

Quote Originally Posted by Frankn

Keppy ,that would be a very bad idea for him. I have given him no clues. He has 9.5 ac and not a hint of the treasure story. I don't give out that info. on purpose. It's my ace in the hole. If he turnes down my offer and has someone else look, he will be back.
    Well the way I look at it he owns 100% of nothing right now and he could own 1/3 of it all . I don't think any one else could find it for him without my notes. And those notes have only been shared with my partner. There is a big "catch 22" reason why no one else could find it on his property. Frank
    Frankn........ I hope that ace you have works out for you good luck..........
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Frankn

Another way of looking at it is that he currently has no vested interest so if he feels that the 1/3 split is unfair to him and does not want to be taken advantage, even if this is untrue, he may just say no. If he turns you down then you and your partner have time and money invested with a zero percent return. According to your numbers, if you take the 50/50 it will give you and your partner $75,000 minus the 10% to the person you hired to help and hopefully it was 10% of your share and not the entire cache. Which now gives you $67,500...you and your partner get $33,750 each. If the 10% was for the entire cache then you each get $30,000. Still a very respectable return on your time and money.

Good luck

NJ

us
    Apr 2011
    Redding, CA
    MXT Pro
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Might bump the offer up a bit to tempt him, like 40%, that leaves 30% for you, and 30% for your partner. I have made attempts to get permission to detect property only twice so far. niether having a suggestion of riches on it, more of possible historic sites. One was replied to with a "No thank you", the other was replied with "It is posted no trespassing, and it will remain that way."

Some day I will win!

us
    Mar 2011
    Chandler Tx
    White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
    45 times
    Metal Detecting

I think the offer is fair.... considering.

If it were just you and the land owner I'd say the 50/50 were fair.

IF he doesnt like it.... well...then he can go shell out the cash for equipment.... years of training.... and still might come up empty after it all.
    mthunter22 likes this.
    If you ever hit the big one detecting....follow the 3S rule. Shoot. Shovel and Shut up.

us
    Mar 2009
    Illiniois
    Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
    10 times

Why would you offer someone 10% to locate the owner of the property when you could have gone to the court house yourself and found out. Even if they couldn't help than why not pay $150 fee to a title search company or even hire a private investigator. After all that why would you are you balking at a 50/50 cut to the land owner. If this ends up in court the best you will get is a 10% finders fee for all your troubles and your legal fees will chew up most of that. Also, if the owner is so hard to find who would have known any better if you just went out onto the property and acted like you owned it, dug the cache and nobody would be the wiser?

Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2848 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by limegoldconvertible68
    Why would you offer someone 10% to locate the owner of the property when you could have gone to the court house yourself and found out. Even if they couldn't help than why not pay $150 fee to a title search company or even hire a private investigator. After all that why would you are you balking at a 50/50 cut to the land owner. If this ends up in court the best you will get is a 10% finders fee for all your troubles and your legal fees will chew up most of that. Also, if the owner is so hard to find who would have known any better if you just went out onto the property and acted like you owned it, dug the cache and nobody would be the wiser?
    This is on private property. Doing as you suggest would be deliberate tresspassing & stealing.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2195 times

We searched the deed, but the deed was based on a survey several deeds back and the description didn't match todays roads. I couldn't figure how to search "forward" from that deed only backward.
    I personally can't see the owner getting 50% and me getting 25% after you consider who did all the work and the time it will take to cover 9.5ac. To me it's a matter of principal. I would rather move on to one of the other caches I am working on than see that happen. Understanding human nature, I feel sure that greed will send him back to ask me to search in time. Frank
    mthunter22 likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    2010 times

But it's NOT a 25% split. It's 50 /50. If YOU made arrangements to give away half your share to another, that is your decision.

I'm sure greed will win out and you will agree to accepting part of something over all of nothing,

us
    Apr 2005
    89 times

A friend of mine found a silver outcrop on a mans property he was hunting. He had obtained permission to hunt the property from the landowner. It may have been accidental as he was not hunting for treasure, but deer hunting. After talking to the property owner he tried to make a deal for a 50/50 split. The owner flat refused and claimed he would find the outcrop of silver himself. After 5 years searching and not findng anything, my friend approached him again with the offer, which was refused. The old man died and he had 2 sons and a daughter. He approached them afterwards and made them the same offer, which they refused. A couple of years ago they put the property up for auction. They had it subdivided into three tracks si that each one would have a parcel. My friend was there and was going to buy the property. When they saw him there they would not let the auction proceed because they knew one of them had silver on their parcel. He approched them once more but to no avail. he last time he approached them they told him that he would never get that property. He said OK, my son knows where it is and you will not live forever. goodbye. rockhound
    mthunter22 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Lady Pirate

Jul 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    457 times

To me, if you suspect some type of treasure or cache on someone's property, and before you start the hunt, it just makes sense to get everything down on paper- both land owner and MD'er signing it pertaining to agreement of any splitting. If you invest all that time on the computer and doing research, and anything else to find the score, that's your part of your investment. Then start your hunt with full knowledge of what is expected if you score. Contracts talk in court if it comes down to it. It just makes sense.... Or if you have permission to hunt on someones property and they say you get to keep anything you find, with no note signed, and then you unexpectedly score big and it don't fit in your pouch, put it back in the ground and remember where it is, leave, come back another day and act your usual self and get that note signed. CYA- it is referred to....

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    25 times
    Metal Detecting

Frankn,

I completely understand your position and I can appreciate how much hard work you've put into this.

But at the end of the day, its his land. Anything there belongs to him.

I think the 50/50 split is reasonable under the circumstances, and I'm just trying to be totally objective.

Maybe you all can compromise for a 60/40 split?

us
    Dec 2010
    16 times

Frank, I posted once but it didn't go through, so if this post comes up as a double post it ain't my fault. Sometimes it takes a professional to deal with a landowner on dealing with searching for treasure under the surface of their property. I know a little about this because I do it for a living. The 10% spent on finding the property could have been used with a person that had the skills of finding the property and negotiating the deal to do the search. My clients have deep pockets, most of the time but if we hit it big it goes into the millions for the land/mineral owner and the client. My clients are in search of black gold from 1 to 3 miles below the surface of the earth. May I suggest an approach to this landowner, back off for a few months and find out everything you can about them. Don't show your hand or look anxious when you do contact them. If the cache is coins, maybe offer the best one along with the 1/3 cut.

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Sponsors