OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have checked out all my detectors and installed new duracells. I have modified the 2 Box with a bright red LED that lights when the target is acquired. I also carry a bulk pack of extra duracells in AA,AAA,9V and D. I am ready in that respect. Frank...

300MH.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Food, clothing, and a tank of diesel plus some good weather, and I am ready to go. Frank...

300MH.jpg

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you have internet in that thing frank , so you can keep us up to date on the hunt.
good luck and god speed.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
hope you have internet in that thing frank , so you can keep us up to date on the hunt.
good luck and god speed.[/QUOTE

Thanks, and yes I have a MiFi Verizon unit and computer. When I get there I will post the good or bad news about getting permission. Frank...

Blue 1212.jpg My partner, the guardian, Blue. He's faster than greased lightning and can top an 8' fence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well the ants have found me, so I bombed it last night. Better here than there I guess. In a motorhome, all open food must be kept in the frig. The ants can find it a mile away. In this case, it was an empty coffee cup, they like sugar. Getting close to takeoff time. Watching the weather channel closely. I don't hunt in the cold or rain. I always set a hunt time limit. on this one it will be one week, unless I find the markers, and then only one more week. False hope is not the thing to be running on. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ants !! Sprinkle Comet scouring powder around anything that touches the ground. However once the little buggers get inside, you have done the right thing. We got into a battle with Argentine ants at a lake in Texas. Never saw ants that small before. They marched up an electric cord and into the motorcoach, and found the cat food. Incredibly difficult to evict them.

Markers ... like orange flags on survey stakes? How hard can that be, eh?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ants !! Sprinkle Comet scouring powder around anything that touches the ground. However once the little buggers get inside, you have done the right thing. We got into a battle with Argentine ants at a lake in Texas. Never saw ants that small before. They marched up an electric cord and into the motorcoach, and found the cat food. Incredibly difficult to evict them.

Markers ... like orange flags on survey stakes? How hard can that be, eh?

More like carved arrows 100 years old. Frank... horse man shooting_0065.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
It looks like Tuesday for departure date, weather permitting..It's about a two hour drive. If I get permission from the land owner, I will spend a week there. If not, it's a 'U' turn of despair. Frank...

MN500.jpg
794094d1368297204-offer-hand-print-2_edited-6.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like Tuesday for departure date, weather permitting..It's about a two hour drive. If I get permission from the land owner, I will spend a week there. If not, it's a 'U' turn of despair. Frank...

View attachment 794095
794094d1368297204-offer-hand-print-2_edited-6.jpg

Why make a U-turn? Have a backup plan. Camp in a state park and use it a base camp to go detecting some new places for a week!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Why make a U-turn? Have a backup plan. Camp in a state park and use it a base camp to go detecting some new places for a week!
Good idea, but I am basically a cache hunter. I have spent over a year researching this cache. If I don't get permission, it will kind of end this quest. I have one more cache researched to location and guess what, I have the same problem on that one, permission, and that location is owned by a large Union.
Well, I find out tomorrow if this quest is ended or I get some exercise with the 2 Box. The 2 Box is actually easier to use. It just hangs from a shoulder strap and you just walk in a straight line. It just glides along over the weeds. I have just tuned it and me up with a 2 day exercise here. Good for over 6 '.
Tomorrow morning is take off time, about 8:30, after the traffic rush. If my MiFi from Verizon has service there I will post from location. Frank... Blue 1212.jpg I'm ready too!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I almost hate to post this because it cuts me down a few notches in research ability, but here it is.
I drove the 150 miles to the supposed site. The map and the road don't exactly match here so it was fun.
The lot was found and the resident was home. He invited me in after a few word presentation by me. After a conversation about my research, he agreed to take a 1/3 split. That is 1/3 to me 1/3 to him and 1/3 to my partners widow. The problem started when I ask him where the stream, which is key to finding the cache, crossed his property. HE SAID," IT DIDN'T CROSS HIS PROPERTY". He explained that it crossed a lot about 1/4 mi down the road.
There is always something! is an expression that I use, and this is it, sort of a Murphy's law. I told I would give him a couple of the coins if I found it for his information. We shook hands, and I drove to the implied new site to get permission to search. I found the stream, I found the old road that is in the story, and the 'owners' house. I knocked on the door, but it almost looked abandon. All the shades were pulled down, the mail box was laying in the front yard. I copied the number and name on it. There was one of those for sale white post out front, but no sign. I could not find it listed for sale. I am going to have to go back to my 10% helper to get the plat of the property and the registered owners contact info. That is my second visit to the area and another 300miles added to the adventure, but at least I am sure I now know the location. The terrain does not look kind. There are slopes over 30 degrees and small annoying mosquitoes. Got to check my deet supply. I will go back as soon as my 10% help comes through. It does look as Murphy has struck again!
Frank...

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 040-1.jpg

Last edited:

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It seems that Murphy is every present in our search for riches. Hang in there I know you'll make it yet. The terrain looks interesting to say the least. Should be quite a challenge. Hopefully your 10% guy will be able to track down the owner quickly so you can get back on the road again.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ain,t nothin for a big stepper!. A bump in the road is all. A lost battle not a lost war. :thumbsup: i,m sure that really helps.

I dragged my feet on a remote site waiting for right time of year costing a few months. Got in and some one had been ahead of me close enough to leave fresh sign. Stuff happens. Your closer than you were.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The thing that actually got me was I got permission to hunt on a 1/3 split and it was the wrong lot. My big mistake was reading neighbor as next store neighbor, when in effect this neighbor was several lots down the road. Well, I have gone from location to permission and now back to location seeking permission again.. I will file this in my memory as, never a dull moment. Frank... PS that picture is not the actual location. It was taken at Capitol Reef NP.

Last edited:

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever cross your mind to just go to the county tax office and get the name and mailing address of the owner?
V

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ever cross your mind to just go to the county tax office and get the name and mailing address of the owner?
V

Doesn't work that way in Md. You have to go on line and believe me it isn't easy to navigate that site.
That recording office is 120mi away! and there are search fees and copy fees. O, yes it's a big cache, but I never count my chickens before they hatch.
Frank...

View attachment 796186

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
wasnt your 10% guy supposed to the location finding ?

He located a lot by a name I gave him of the person that owned the land almost 100 years ago . He then gave me the neighboring lot, with contact info and deed plats.
He did no work about finding the actual cache.
I will now ask him to locate the owner of the lot by the stream and furnish a plat and contact info. The problem here is that the property might have just sold and more or less be in limbo. He has the means to find the info. Frank...

View attachment 796186

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't work that way in Md. You have to go on line and believe me it isn't easy to navigate that site.
That recording office is 120mi away! and there are search fees and copy fees. O, yes it's a big cache, but I never count my chickens before they hatch.
Frank...

Well even more convenient. Since you have the name and address of the location, just go online and do a search by address and see who comes up as owner. Or do a search by owner and see what property(ies) he owns. It usually takes about 2 weeks for the clerks to scan and index new records before they are online.

V

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well even more convenient. Since you have the name and address of the location, just go online and do a search by address and see who comes up as owner. Or do a search by owner and see what property(ies) he owns. It usually takes about 2 weeks for the clerks to scan and index new records before they are online.

V

I have already dun that. I even got his age and wife's name and telephone #, but no one answers.
I just got a reply,durn this guys fast, from my 10% helper. It included plat, Arial photo with survey lines overlayed, copy of deed, tax records back several years and full contact info. So I know the present owner is the same and he still lives at the location. It looks like another trip back up there, but now I have cut down my search area to just around the creek. A big break for me. If the cache is still waiting to be found it is mine, but then there is the chance that I will find many 100 year old holes . But at least I will have an answer!
Frank...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread