Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank...

Thanks for the compliment.
To be honest with ya, I am not a pro at this.
-Not anymore...I am retired. ;D

If at some point you want to discuss it further shoot me a pm, shouldn't be more than 48 hours pass before I return the message.

Sounds like the game is becoming more complex, the chance of another stakeholder becoming involved changes things a bit, but the approach and play is the same. Make sure your words are exactly the same with each. if there is no history of problems between them that would put them at odds it is likely they will form some sort of bond...because they will talk to each other about what is said by you in confidence..comparing notes, so to speak.
In every instance that matters, they will try to make you the odd man out...work the case to eliminate any impact this might cause.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank ... I just hope you get it .... Like i said before...Good Luck to you..........

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about me when you said I have probably never been on a cache hunt before. To prove my ignorance of cache hunting I have to ask a stupid question. What is a "cache marker" and why does it even matter in this case? I assume its something clue/sign the original cache man left behind that he can see and know he's in the general area of where he buried his cache. If so why would that matter to you? You already know the general area and with your "catch-22" you shouldn't even need to see the marker. Aren't you just unnecessarily complicating the matter?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Lime gold convertable, what brand is that?
Cache Markers vary with the cache. The old Spanish left signs like a cross,heart or turtle that pointed to it. Some are piles of rocks, symbols carved on trees. I have even seen a knife stuck in a tree pointing the way. The person that stashed the cache usually knows the general area but realizes that vegetation and even rocks change over time so he leaves his mark or marks to lead the way. Such is the case with this one. Frank

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Lime gold convertable, what brand is that?
Cache Markers vary with the cache. The old Spanish left signs like a cross,heart or turtle that pointed to it. Some are piles of rocks, symbols carved on trees. I have even seen a knife stuck in a tree pointing the way. The person that stashed the cache usually knows the general area but realizes that vegetation and even rocks change over time so he leaves his mark or marks to lead the way. Such is the case with this one. Frank
Yep! Over the rainbow, To the pot of fruity Skittles!!!! :laughing9:

Just that simple!!! :tongue3:

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learn something new every time I open this forum.

...Frank I replied in the manner you requested.

Barto

Jan 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious, and assuming you reach an agreement, who disposes of the cache when/ if it is found, you or the landowner? How is it to be disposed of, professional auction, best 'black market' offer, under the table? Would you divide exactly what is found? If it is items that need to be sold in order to get a payout to be divided, how would that work? If there is a record of the sale, taxes will be involved, etc. Seems to me these can all be or lead to sticky situations that can muck up the lot. I could be wrong, but I seem to sense some mistrust already on the landowners side, and all that involves. Would the disposal details go into the contract, or is the payout somehow based on some sort of promise or trust? I think this is a potential situation for many detectorists, and it would be nice to know how to do this properly. Are you able to share a hypothetical scenario and solution to this?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barto, I am surprised that you asked a question like this. Luckily I'm an expert in this field...

You see the hopeful deal is a 1/3 split.. So it goes like this

1 for you, 2 for me, 2 for you, 4 for me, etc, etc and so on :laughing9:

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,
lets just go get it, ill help ya lol j/k

kgunn

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
Sounds like you are trying to build trust and value into the product (your skills) and make them him believe you are the only one that can find the cache. In business, that is done by references of successful past experiences. Share with him other caches of the same size you have found and let him contact those landowners, so they can tell him how enjoyable their experience was and how they the finds were split. If you can do that he might that you bring more to the table than the fact he owns it all right now.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Barto, so many questions ! The idea is to keep it simple and quiet. The land owner will probably be following me around " trust only goes so far when big money is involved to some people". personally I live by a handshake. This money is not stolen so that makes it simple. This is how it is done, I locate it, I remove it from the ground, and if the land owner is there I divide it and ride off into the sunset just like in the movies. Now about disposition. This depends entirely in the form of the cache. If it is paper, I just spend unless it is vintage collectable paper. In that case, I spread it around in small amounts to collectors.If it is gold, I have an outlet for that. If it is coins, it's the collector route.

Kgunn, Some things just can't be rushed. Remember the old saying, " Haste Makes Waste".

Frank

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Kgunn, Some things just can't be rushed. Remember the old saying, " Haste Makes Waste".
Frank

I think you forgot "A stitch in time, saves 9 :laughing9:

There is always a Yin & Yang :tongue3:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Illinidigger, That works great with my Yard searches, But cache hunting is completely different. Once you recover a big cache, you completely forget about it. It makes life oh, so much simpler. In a big cache the only thing that overcomes greed is desire and realisation of the real situation. In other words, you have to make them realize that you are their only hope of getting it. Once you achieve that, Get out the detector! Frank

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Illinidigger, That works great with my Yard searches, But cache hunting is completely different. Once you recover a big cache, you completely forget about it. It makes life oh, so much simpler. In a big cache the only thing that overcomes greed is desire and realisation of the real situation. In other words, you have to make them realize that you are their only hope of getting it. Once you achieve that, Get out the detector! Frank
For Instance!! A commemorative Tin, Filled to the brim with Skittles!!! :laughing9:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the landowner:
a) I don't care that you've spent $15,000 on a speculation.
b) I see you and your partner as one entity. So a 50/50 split is even.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mzjavert said:
As the landowner:
a) I don't care that you've spent $15,000 on a speculation.
b) I see you and your partner as one entity. So a 50/50 split is even.
He knows this ...he is just pulling everyones chain....and doing such a good job of it that no one realizes it...well, except for me. ;D

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Mcjavert & Lookingdown, OK you guys, lets see what you just said. You think that this is a two entity setup. I might live with that, BUT, you also say he doesn't care that it is costing me many months of research, $15,000 in finder fees and miles of diving and interviewing people for information. That I can't live with !
What you are saying is that there should be an even split but one partner should bear the burden of all the risk and all the expenses and all the time consumed to locate. You guys have to get real about things. I don't think either one of you would go for that deal for yourself. Frank

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone else can take the bait....your a pretty good fisherman.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Mcjavert & Lookingdown, OK you guys, lets see what you just said. You think that this is a two entity setup. I might live with that, BUT, you also say he doesn't care that it is costing me many months of research, $15,000 in finder fees and miles of diving and interviewing people for information. That I can't live with !
What you are saying is that there should be an even split but one partner should bear the burden of all the risk and all the expenses and all the time consumed to locate. You guys have to get real about things. I don't think either one of you would go for that deal for yourself. Frank

OK, I'll bite.

You weren't hired to do this "job", you created it and did the work voluntarily. Asking to be paid for work you did on your own is a bit ludicrous. If you mowed half my yard and then asked to be paid the full amount to mow the second half, I'd laugh you off the property.

I realize that this is all just your way of getting attention, but I think it's important for future cache hunters who may be reading this. The research time is YOUR expense, not the property owner's. The spilt is between the "finder" and the "owner". Further splits with other searchers or other "owners" are not a party to the negotiations. If the owner has 5 brothers to split the cache with, should that lower YOUR split? Of course not. Nor should additional hunters impair the owner's split.

This is my last post in this thread because you care not what advice (that you asked for) is given.

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
does the land owner have a wife on the deed, if so it is a four way split ;D

as a property owner my view point is it is all mine, now if some one I did not ask wants to spend time and money to research my property good for them, again I did not ask them. Thats their problem not mine. If some one had three partners then why should I care I deal as owner and treasure hunter thats two groups, I don't care if you had a hundred people on your crew it would still be you and me. 50/50 is fair by both parties, right now 100/0 is the split. Why should I only get 30% and they get 60%, ain't going to happen. Only greed will work it out. I could hire a group of hunters for the other 50%, how many would jump at 10% of a cache.

Good luck I know you won't agree with me but as a property owner I see things differently. I own the cache whether I know about it or not as long as it is my property.

dld

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions