All You Treasure Hunters, Protect Yourselves from Snake Bite

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several programs locally in Orange County California that teaches rattlesnake awareness to dogs.

Its not uncommon to hear that a dog was bit while in its own backyard or while on a trail hike.

I have a friend whose Black Lab has been bitten 3 times last year...and Labs are not stupid...

2 years ago my little girl walked onto front porch. A 3 foot copperhead was laying on the porch she yelled and before I could do any thing My 6 yr old border collie ran up the steps and grabbed the snake by the tail and slung it off the porch. I looked for the snake but couldn't find it.Thankfully my little girl was not bit. If not for the dog she would have been bit for sure.

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a stun gun. Snake venom is a weak amino acid. The stun gun will neutralize the venom. Also useful for spiders and other creepy crallies. Get the mini stun gun. Its about 25 KV. I have a large research file on using the HV to zap and neutralize bites. Wife got bit by a brown recluse twice and I zapped the bite and it was gone in a couple of days.
Goldfinder

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Pennsylvania Timber Rattlers

We encountered our first ever rattlesnake this summer; 4 feet long. Unfortunately they are protected in PA. This one was slow but pretty strong it kept trying to wrap itself around "motorheads" arm while I held the head. It didn't rattle much but it did try to bite me until I pinned it down. Motorhead (my daughter Katie) is fearless! She goes treasure hunting with me in her wheelchair. I can now cross catching a rattlesnake off of my bucket list. We had to let it go.....no dinner tonight! And I heard that they taste like chicken.

I learned afterward that if you are bitten by one of these the medical treatment can run as much as $150,000. I'll probably go the other way if I see another one.

P1010042.JPG

Cheers
:occasion14:

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the US, deadly snakebites are extremely rare and many of them occur while folks are trying to kill a snake or messing with a recently killed snake.

You are far more likely to be to be killed in an automobile accident on the way to a treasure hunt than to be killed by snake while hunting.

Statistically speaking, you are even more likely to be executed for a crime or struck by lightning than to be killed by a snakebite in the US.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend Kevlar Chaps over high boots,A 4 foot rattler can strike the length of its body,Well over knee cap height.Kevlar chaps cost anywhere between $50-100 dollars,A must if you hunt high brush/grass areas.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Yahoo News reported today that snakebites can cause Eastern Equine Encephalitis, a deadly brain swelling disease. The
researchers studied Alabama water mocossins just after hibernation and found many to be infected by mosquito bites
causing the Encephailits. Two snakebite victims in Vermont have died so far.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pair of snake boots from Sports--something orother they were on line and only around 60 bucks and really work--- beeneverywhere ..lots of grassy places...it takes a lot of the anxiety out oftraveling in the woods/swamps... as for the snakes...well, I carry "theJudge" it’s a revolver that shoots a long colt .45 but will chamber a .410shotgun shell...really throws a nice pattern when using bird shot, decimatesthe snakes. And you don’t have to be a good shot!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wondering about you people with dogs, when your out hunting. What do the dogs do when they come upon a snake? Do they have a sixth sense, do they somehow understand that a snake can be dangerous, or do they just charge in and try to bit it? I dont have a dog, but do have a cat, and the snakes around here can kill a cat in a flash, or eat it. Although not many snakes have been seen in the area, I still wonder if a curious cat will try to play with it, or does she understand that this is not something to play with, I'm guessing that cats somehow know its dangerous, but what about dogs?

Here in Texas the dogs get bitten frequently. If you check Yahoo, there are a couple of vids of a bobcat killing a snake. Cats are much faster and a big cat here will kill anything that moves.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend Kevlar Chaps over high boots,A 4 foot rattler can strike the length of its body,Well over knee cap height.Kevlar chaps cost anywhere between $50-100 dollars,A must if you hunt high brush/grass areas.

This is the program.

That and a decent pistol; I like a 22 auto, but I'm good with it. If you aren't, use something like the Judge.

And CARRY A STICK !

You can bang it on the ground and use it to probe around where you are reaching and walking. I've hunted rattlers, and they don't always rattle or go away.

The best defenses are chaps and using your head.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro Bass is going to open a store in Bridgeport Connecticut. Big bad snakes is why I do not treasure hunt out west.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Pro Bass is going to open a store in Bridgeport Connecticut. Big bad snakes is why I do not treasure hunt out west.

You're safer out west. Ain't too many big, bad snakes left. First we make boots out of them, then, well, they taste like chicken.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just had a conversation with a snake biologist that was an eye opener.

He's actually radio tracked lots of them. Sometimes he walks right up on them and they are right next to his boots. Yow!

They are territorial, males and females alike; males territories are larger. They have breeding 'territories' they get together in, and then disperse.

He said that they often are next to humans without striking; of course, it's hard for us to accept that since we don't know when or not they will strike.

FLCracker

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
New Port Richey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Im pretty new here and at the expense of offending people, I am going to say 100% to not trust that kit if your life depended on it. As a practicing paramedic in Florida and extra training in wilderness rescue I may not be a toxicologist, but You need antivenom. The extractor may be a temporary fix to stop it from spreading with a pit viper(which destroys tissue), but it will not help with a Coral Snake which chews and spreads the venom and secretes a neurotoxin that WILL KILL YOU. Either way, when a snake bites you, the poison is already on their fangs and as they bite the venom(maybe just a little before they inject) goes through several layers of tissue eg. Skin, fat, vessels etc. before injecting. All of that tissue is all connected and will eventually enter the circulatory system. Please, don't risk your life over some kit from WalMart. You need medical help.
As far as protection goes, Rocky Snakeboots, jeans and a Taurus .357 with CCI snakeshot.

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
signal_line said:
Also heard about a guy who sat down on a log and a snake bit him in the kidney. Ouch!

According to a study by toxicologists that Extractor really works. Just for fun I put it on my arm and it pulled so hard I got a bit nervous.

Sounds like it would be great for blackheads :)

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Rattlesnake bites are "Dry Bites" in which little or no venom is injected. Rattlesnakes are very careful not to waste precious venom on a large animal/person it is not going to eat. Most bites where venom is injected is when a rattlesnake is surprised, for example when you reach under a rock, step on the snake, reach up on a rock ledge or lift your head over a ledge. Another situation where a rattlesnake will inject is when it is absolutely harassed, usually when being poked or picked up and it fears for its life. However when a rattlesnake is rattling and giving you a warning most of the strikes from the coiled position towards you are dry bites. They actually have the ability to control whether venom is excreted through the fangs. This is the reason why baby rattlesnakes are very dangerous, they do not have this ability to control their venom and always excrete venom on a bite. As far as the paramedic above said, the standard EMS Protocol for Paramedics in pre-hospital care is to immobilize the area of the bite, start an IV and transport. They do not apply tourniquets or make incisions, use local suction, etc. just get the patient to the hospital as soon as possible. The goal is to identify the snake if safely possible and start administering Antivenin (note the correct spelling). So if you suffer a bite from a rattlesnake in the wild, get to a safe place and call 911 immediately. Remove rings, watches, bracelets, etc., if bitten on the hand. Immobilize the area of the bite, remain calm and remember there is always the high probability that you were not injected with venom. If not able to call 911, the goal is to get to a hospital as soon as possible to have treatment started. To avoid being bitten, as others have said, wear snake boots, snake boots are better than snake chaps, chaps are better than nothing. Don't reach under anything that you can't completely see under. When climbing up or down rocks, be aware that rattlesnakes prefer rocky outcrops and rocky areas and avoid stepping or reaching anywhere that you can't see (especially when climbing). Avoid walking in deep weeds or grass where you can't see and during the heat of the day in direct sunlight you will rarely ever see a rattlesnake, however in shade and in early mornings and at evening they will be active. Very few deaths occur from rattlesnake bites each year, some species are worse than others. In the Mojave desert area in Southern California the Mojave rattler is especially dangerous because it has both myotoxins (which cause tissue damage to skeletal muscles) and neurotoxins, that means it attacks your nervous system as well (which controls breathing and heartbeat). The Western and Eastern diamondback is also a very nasty bite, however the Pacific Rattlesnake from Oregon, California, Utah, Nevada among other western states is not particularly deadly and most victims do very well with treatment. In closing, like the other paramedic said, do not carry or use the old snakebite kits with the suction and scalpel, don't attempt to suck the wound with your mouth either. First make sure you and others are safe and then call 911. If you are in the wilderness away from cell phone coverage as many treasure hunters are, invest in a satellite based rescue device like the SPOT. They are very affordable and the life you save may be your own,my our family, friend or even a stranger. When you push the emergency button your GPS coordinates are sent and rescue personnel will be dispatched. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I am a firefighter paramedic with over 20 years experience working in rural communities and my brother is a herpetologist (a scientist who studies snakes), we also own and operate a rattlesnake removal service in California. We have relocated, photographed and scientifically documented hundreds of rattlesnakes over the years. Stay safe!

Does pepperspray (OC) or mace work on rattlesnakes? Short answer no, it will not kill them, both will irritate them but not likely that will will move from where they are after sprayed, they will be very upset and loose their sense of tracking you with scent and visual acuity, however, they can still see your heat signature very clearly. Best to just move away and anytime you have to fire a handgun at a snake is risky as pellets and bullets can ricochet off rocks and injure you or others. Just get away from it and let it be.

Mark Dayton
El Dorado Hills, CA

FLCracker

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
New Port Richey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachbumm, thanks for elaborating a little further. I was at work and in a hurry. Also, iPad autocorrected antivenin, but I did mean to spell it corrcectly.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've worked on ranches all my life and dealt with alot of rattle snakes. I've never been bitten but I know a few who have been. Every time it's someone who put their hand or foot under something without looking first or they were playing with a live snake (or one they thought was dead). Rattle snake bites are quite rare and can easily be avoided with a little common sense and caution. Beachbum gives the best advice on how to handle a snake bite. The only thing I can add to that is KEEP CALM! An increased heart rate can spread the venom through your body much quicker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread