56.7 KB · Views: 5,724

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree especially in our state of Alabama i. I have a new pair of knee high from Bass Pro

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's how we getem out from under a rock

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,778

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is how we deal with them in Texas

Attachments

• snakes.jpg
    snakes.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 52,070

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering about you people with dogs, when your out hunting. What do the dogs do when they come upon a snake? Do they have a sixth sense, do they somehow understand that a snake can be dangerous, or do they just charge in and try to bit it? I dont have a dog, but do have a cat, and the snakes around here can kill a cat in a flash, or eat it. Although not many snakes have been seen in the area, I still wonder if a curious cat will try to play with it, or does she understand that this is not something to play with, I'm guessing that cats somehow know its dangerous, but what about dogs?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I just got the Rocky snake proofs from Pro Bass, they were on sale. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wal-Mart sells a powerful suction device for removing venom. It's called The Extractor--Bite and Sting Kit. Can't recall the price, but maybe $15. It has a few different size attachments. Many people have bad reaction to the anti-venom, so this could really help. Half of all bite are on the hands or arms. Most bites are drunk males under thirty years old. There was a guy near here, think they were in a boat and a rattler was swimming. So they hit it with an oar and thought it was dead. It was just playing possum and bit him.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a first hand answer to the question I posted last week. My cat found a poisonous snake, and was trying to play with it , guess she thought it was the same as one of the lizards she usually catches. So I guess they dont have any sixth sense about snakes. Thats too bad, I was really hoping they did, then I wouldnt have to worry so much about her at nights.

Frankn, do the snake bite kits really work? I heard there isnt much benefit in using them, even if they have more suction. Of course if your out in the jungle or desert, far from help, then you would need all the help you can get. Here in Thailand, most clinics and hospitals have anti venom, but you need to identify the snake, so you get the right anti venom.

motell6

Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for this thread, I"m out there in the boonies a lot,and could use
snake boots. I just priced a pair of Rockies at Sportsman Warehouse for $140., a very cheap life savor.They also have various kits in store.
:thumbsup:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also heard about a guy who sat down on a log and a snake bit him in the kidney. Ouch!

According to a study by toxicologists that Extractor really works. Just for fun I put it on my arm and it pulled so hard I got a bit nervous.

S

stefen

maipenrai said:
Just wondering about you people with dogs, when your out hunting. What do the dogs do when they come upon a snake? Do they have a sixth sense, do they somehow understand that a snake can be dangerous, or do they just charge in and try to bit it? I dont have a dog, but do have a cat, and the snakes around here can kill a cat in a flash, or eat it. Although not many snakes have been seen in the area, I still wonder if a curious cat will try to play with it, or does she understand that this is not something to play with, I'm guessing that cats somehow know its dangerous, but what about dogs?

There are several programs locally in Orange County California that teaches rattlesnake awareness to dogs.

Its not uncommon to hear that a dog was bit while in its own backyard or while on a trail hike.

I have a friend whose Black Lab has been bitten 3 times last year...and Labs are not stupid...

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I went to a Rattlesnake Roundup in Brownwood,Tx. in 78'. They gave demonstrations and talks in addition to their "bagging " contests.
One thing they pointed out is that sometimes snakes do not inject you even when they bite. They get freaked out and forget to inject or they just killed something and have no venom. Also, if you try the "cut an X and suck the venom out" you might do more damage than if you left it alone, cutting tendon, cut vein or artery, a sore or cut in your mouth if you use it can get the vemom in it too, etc.
They suggested if not a long way from medical help to put restricting bandage (not tourniquet) above the bite and cover in ice then seek medical help.
I also saw guy that got bit on 2nd knuckle of finger. Announcer said "He'll be alright, he barely got bit." I saw the guy the next day and his arm was swollen from finger tip to elbow about as big as it can get without splitting open. I'm stayin as far away as I can from them.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate Rattlers, The "Snake Charmer"does the trick also a sawed off shotgun.
My son got stung on the side of the neck by a wasp, I squeezed the flesh away from the sting and I sucked the area and even though my son got a headache it went away fast due to my quick thinking.
Those high boots are the trick, I also see a shin-armor also out there where it clips around your shins.
Thanks for the info.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uglymailman has some good advice. Those snake bite kits are a waste of your time, but if it makes you feel more confident, buy one. You ain't gonna die immediately from a snake bite anyway. (At least here in the US) I wear 18" high boots in snake country, but I'm more concerned I'll get bit in the hand or arm. Carry a walking stick and tap the ground, and that seems to help alert the snakes. Rattlers are really active just before a thunderstorm. The best time I had with snakes was when I once put my coil directly on top of a sleepin prairie rattler. We both jumped and ran different directions. I have dealt with folks bitten by venomous snakes, and in my experience the quicker you get medical help, the better off you are. And it's antivenin, not anti venom, although that term is bein accepted. And they don't taste like chicken, they taste like snake.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dogs have a natural fear of snakes, however, they are incredibly in tune to when we are scared, stress or feel threatened, they would go after a grizzly bear (or a sasquatch) to protect us, so obviously they will stand their ground and bark or even nip at a snake to protect us or their puppies. Most dog breeds can survive a North American rattlesnake bite, however if they are bit on the mouth, face or throat, they can die from the swelling in their airway. 90% + of fatal snake bites on dogs are due to airway constriction. Dogs can be given an injection by a vet to get a vaccine for rattlesnakes bites (very expensive).

Cats, unfortunately don't stand a chance after a venomous snake bite.

Stay safe and get some snake boots, don't reach under rocks, and when climbing, remember that snakes like to sit on ledges in the sunlight, when you reach up to grab a blind ledge or when your head first clears the ledge and you get a look, there very well could be a rattlesnake right in front of your face!

HH, Mark

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use snake chaps. Also, I saw a guy on TV who had an allergic reaction to the rattler venom. I suspect many fatalities maybe due to this. Darned good reason to use an Extractor.

I hear a funny story. Some freinds were on a river bank area fishing. The discussion came up about how many rattlers were in the area. One guy said when you walk to stomp your feet to alert the snakes of your presence. So one guy hwo was blind in one eye stomped off through the brush and about twenty feet later a big bull snake reared up about crotch high and hissed at him just a few feet away. He though it was a rattler and about fainted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread