Forrest Fenn s treasure

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting to think of a tree not withstanding the test of time, so the "blaze" isn't a mark after all. However, Egyptians wrote on, and inscribed things on walls that have stood the test of time. Perhaps it's an inscription in a cave. He did write "put in." That tells me it's inside of something ( hollowed out tree, cave, etc..)

Forrest is old school and I just hear an ol' schooler saying something like "we're gonna blaze the trails."

Another reason I believe it's a mark is because his friend said recently, "until the treasure is found or the blaze is found." Another words, find the blaze; find the treasure.

I have to say, I enjoy sharing thoughts and notes with everyone.

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought. I don't think it's around the bottom of a dam, but a waterfall perhaps. A dam is routinely visited, protected, and maintained by the state. It's too easy to find. It would be found quickly.

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could the letters be turned into numbers, like a code? a-1 b-2 kinda thing.. there has to be some trickery in the pome, hidden message or something.

I thought of this yesterday and did something similar.

I took the syllables in each stanza and added those up : 29 31 32 32 33 32

As I looked at them I started thinking of longitude and latitude coordinates. -29.3132 -32.3332 +29.3132 +32.3332 ...etc

This only put me in the ocean and somewhere in Egypt near the coast of the Gulf of Suez...which was kind of interesting, but logistically isn't north of Santa Fe or in the Rocky Mountains.

Since my trip I had planned on taking this weekend is postponed due to inclimate weather, I will have time to fool around with some more ideas.
There has been mention that Forrest began writing this poem in the 80's or at least started thinking about it in the 80's. With that information the poem as it is written is PERFECT. There are deviations to the syllable count in several of the lines, 8 being the most prominent. Maybe these deviations are subtle clues?

-Nick

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh,what the heck. A blaze can be the white,approx. hand wide streak of white on some horses face. Easy to add to a head shaped rock. Or with the right layers be natural, might not even need to be vertical.
Not sure of all breeds but the occasional blue eyes found with a blaze could be a fault not allowing being registered,or a genetic weakness if you will,something Forrest surely felt at times.

And to really throw a wrench in the works,in looking at Dan Brown i find a reference to Job 38:11.
Job known as a man who did suffer. Then too an outhouse is a home of brown!.

So it seems like following water to a natural or man made dam or fall causing a portage and farther down to a tributary to rough to enter with a craft of any size.
Begin it where warm waters halt,could be a place where restriction of flow,(dam or lake/pond) allows solar heating(and swimming?)before returning to normal run.

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Landmarks in the natural terrain, such as hills, distant peaks, or a notch on the horizon can all be used with other trail marking techniques. Be creative when marking your trail and keep each mark within viewing distance of the previous two to keep yourself going in a straight line towards your goal and making it easier to return if you need to.

The natural features of wild country conspire to get the unwary or unobservant off track. In densely wooded areas, this is particularly true. The use of trail marking makes the task of orientation fairly simple and a decent pair of binoculars will make spotting your trail and land marks easier to see at a distance.

Why bother marking a trail if you are just trying to get back to civilization? You might need to go back to bring help to someone or to retrieve valuable equipment you had to leave behind or possibly leave a trail for someone following you. If rescue comes you would want them to know in which direction you had gone so that help can find you. Whatever your reasons for trail marking, go as easy on Mother Nature as you can.

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a thought not really on the clues but what if the chest is locked and you need to get the key from Forrest himself, to ensure that he knew that's its been found?

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a thought not really on the clues but what if the chest is locked and you need to get the key from Forrest himself, to ensure that he knew that's its been found?

I was thinking there could be a little gps beacon in the chest, that way he knows if it was moved. Small price to pay for a $2mil loot. But if it is locked, i have a cutting torch!

Ryujin84107

Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone thought the treasure could be in Taos county in NM? According to Wikipedia Taos means "place of red willows"

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking there could be a little gps beacon in the chest, that way he knows if it was moved. Small price to pay for a $2mil loot. But if it is locked, i have a cutting torch!

The box itself is from 1150 a.d I wouldn't wanna torch that!

Casa Marron

Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thought that Fenn may be malevolent here? Maybe instead of ancient treasure, the box is packed with C4 set to blow when opened? As in "Just take the chest and go in pieces"?

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone thought the treasure could be in Taos county in NM? According to Wikipedia Taos means "place of red willows"

Yeah, I had planned on camping up there this weekend, but its expected to snow and rain...i guess i could have "braved the cold"...but my family would have stayed home. Gotta use the buddy system when out in the wood :P

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting theory but he told The Daily Beast that it was left unlocked. The mention of "Title" in the last verse might refer to something else though. Something that you have to redeem to get an additional reward. Although he's hoping to be dead when it's found...

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting theory but he told The Daily Beast that it was left unlocked. The mention of "Title" in the last verse might refer to something else though. Something that you have to redeem to get an additional reward. Although he's hoping to be dead when it's found...

Idk about the dead part from what I hear he will be releasing another clue each month on the today show (at least that's what I've heard) although these clues might be as helpful as 300 miles west of Toledo.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a treasure story. What I have found about treasure storys, are they are just storys. I think there was some thought put into this. I know friends who are searching for this treasure. I have to admit, even though I feel in my heart its a plea for some attention. Im going to go and see for myself. You can bet, at least a few folks know the area and has walked over the spot. Lets hope they aren't searching too. My hats off to Mr. Fenn, I hope he is not laughing at all of us now as we spin our wheels lol.

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, how many folks on this thread have a spot in mind? I ask because I get the feeling we have all bent the poem in our favor somehow. Me included! This is the curse of treasure hunting. I guess I'm getting irritated. HaHa. May be time to take a week off from it.

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012

I believe this is the case -- he's mentioned in him memoir that there is a key on display at the bookstore in Santa Fe. GPS unlikely since the box has been out there for a few years.

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is the case -- he's mentioned in him memoir that there is a key on display at the bookstore in Santa Fe. GPS unlikely since the box has been out there for a few years.

It would only make sense, I dont think he would be so sure its there othetwise

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's close enough to his home that he can drive by and see if it's still there, probably not able to see the treasure, but beable to tell if the suroundings have been disturbed.:occasion14:

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's close enough to his home that he can drive by and see if it's still there, probably not able to see the treasure, but beable to tell if the suroundings have been disturbed.:occasion14:

He says he doesn't go back to the spot as it would attract tons of attention, but I do agree he can drive there I'd say maybe an 8-9 hour round trip to and from his house

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Any thought that Fenn may be malevolent here? Maybe instead of ancient treasure, the box is packed with C4 set to blow when opened? As in "Just take the chest and go in pieces"?

Casa Marron = house brown
What a thing to say on your first post. But I have thought this...Mr Fenn is getting back at the Gov for their crap against him...so now they thousands of people digging out there. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread