cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fenn

I had posted this on another website but also fits into this conversation.

Where the Treasure Lies
By Forrest Fenn

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk,
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

OK so now that we have the poem lets look at what it says below the home of brown, Sierra Negra (New Mexico) witch could be translated as dark mountain but if you have a Portuges or Spanish background you are referencing a native american skin color, Negra does not always mean black but can be used to describe any dark skin such as brown.

Begin it where warm waters halt (Abiquiu Lake In new Mexico)

The next is FOUND THE BLAZE, CHAMA RIVER (New Mexico), CHAMA in Portuges translate to blaze,fire and flame.

This reference is that the Chama River flows down hill no paddles needed and heavy loads and water high is white water with some drop-offs.

The (you"ve) lol there's a V shaped bend on the CHAMA RIVER.

Attachments

• Earth 1.jpg
    Earth 1.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 19,799
  • Earth 2.jpg
    Earth 2.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 36,833

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had posted this on another website but also fits into this conversation.

Where the Treasure Lies
By Forrest Fenn

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk,
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;

Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

OK so now that we have the poem lets look at what it says below the home of brown, Sierra Negra (New Mexico) witch could be translated as dark mountain but if you have a Portuges or Spanish background you are referencing a native american skin color, Negra does not always mean black but can be used to describe any dark skin such as brown.

Begin it where warm waters halt (Abiquiu Lake In new Mexico)

The next is FOUND THE BLAZE, CHAMA RIVER (New Mexico), CHAMA in Portuges translate to blaze,fire and flame.

This reference is that the Chama River flows down hill no paddles needed and heavy loads and water high is white water with some drop-offs.

The (you"ve) lol there's a V shaped bend on the CHAMA RIVER.

What makes you so sure its Abiquiu lake for warm waters halt? And do all of these places line up?

cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you so sure its Abiquiu lake for warm waters halt? And do all of these places line up?

one its New Mexico
Home of Brown = Sierra Negra
Blaze = Chama also means blaze
its near a major road easy transport
Abiquiu lake is wear snow or ice melt would end up warm waters
the chama river travels down hill no paddles and water high - white water.

p.s. look at the first pic all within 10 miles

Last edited:

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one its New Mexico
Home of Brown = Sierra Negra
Blaze = Chama also means blaze
its near a major road easy transport
Abiquiu lake is wear snow or ice melt would end up warm waters
the chama river travels down hill no paddles and water high - white water.

p.s. look at the first pic all within 10 miles

Only problem I have with that is that the clue is "if you've been wise and found the blaze; Look quickly down your quest to cease" that would mean the blaze is in one spot perhaps not a trail marker but I don't think it'd be the river either

cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem I have with that is that the clue is "if you've been wise and found the blaze; Look quickly down your quest to cease" that would mean the blaze is in one spot perhaps not a trail marker but I don't think it'd be the river either

Yes but Mr.Fenn just spent a long time fighting the federal government and if you look at the area on the map towards the mountain is federal but towards the river is open plain the road is the divider I think its Fenn's way of snubbing the feds...
And why not just drop a treasure chest in the water "If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease, But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace." why not in the river?

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Forrest Portuguese? I dont personally know the gentleman, but the pictures I've seen of him depict an Anglo descent...i dont know, but i do know I was there a few months ago hunting up near Canjilon, and actually drove over the Abiquiu Dam.

I think the first clue in the poem that needs to be figured for location is in the first stanza - 'I can keep my secret where'
People dont talk like that anymore, nor do they think this way...unless its deliberate.

cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the first clue in the poem that needs to be figured for location is in the first stanza - 'I can keep my secret where'
People dont talk like that anymore, nor do they think this way...unless its deliberate.
I personally don't know much about Mr. finn besides what I have read but due to his location I would tend to believe that he was exposed to many Latin speaking culture, again an assumption.
People don't talk like that anymore i would tend to understand that he means an area that was once part of mexico, referring to most of the area being named in Spanish or a form of Spanish.

Skullybnuts

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but Mr.Fenn just spent a long time fighting the federal government and if you look at the area on the map towards the mountain is federal but towards the river is open plain the road is the divider I think its Fenn's way of snubbing the feds...
And why not just drop a treasure chest in the water "If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,

I just dont think the blaze is the river all I'm saying. the spot might be right but you'll never know till ya check it out

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well it makes more sense than being in Yellowstone. If not found in 50 years (less now) it can't be kept because it's in a National Park. You really think he wanted the Feds to have it? Right.

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I can keep my secret where, And hint of riches new and old."

This is a fragmented sentence (deliberate), and phooey to all the 'poetic license' garbage. The quote from Forrest is that the clues have to be solved in the order written to find the loot. Why would the first 4 lines of the poem just be an intro and not contain clues? Is everyone infatuated with the 'Begin it where warm waters halt' line because it says Begin? Should have just said, 'Begin it where the sun shines'........

cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I can keep my secret where, And hint of riches new and old."

This is a fragmented sentence (deliberate), and phooey to all the 'poetic license' garbage. The quote from Forrest is that the clues have to be solved in the order written to find the loot. Why would the first 4 lines of the poem just be an intro and not contain clues? Is everyone infatuated with the 'Begin it where warm waters halt' line because it says Begin? Should have just said, 'Begin it where the sun shines'........

If you read what i posted at the top of the page I started at the part of the poem that refers to "Home of Brown"...Its a riddle but fun to think outside the box not always a hole in the ground with an x marking the spot.lol

P.s. its New Mexico theres tons of history i'm still looking for Cibola lol

Last edited:

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it makes more sense than being in Yellowstone. If not found in 50 years (less now) it can't be kept because it's in a National Park. You really think he wanted the Feds to have it? Right.

Touche

cmaracing

Mar 30, 2012
New Bedford, Mass
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett PP.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many states have restrictions on digging on land but you are free to search river and waterways..Even if its on Federal Land.....

p.s.s People don't talk like that anymore wasn't that line in one of the National Treasure movies that was about Cibola lol.......

Last edited:

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many states have restrictions on digging on land but you are free to search river and waterways..Even if its on Federal Land.....

p.s.s People don't talk like that anymore wasn't that line in one of the National Treasure movies that was about Cibola lol.......

yes it is true people dont talk or think that way anymore. read the poem, you feel like you are in a movie...should nick cage be narrating?

-the real nick

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading much more regarding Fenn's life and about the treasure/poem, I think the area it is probably hidden is not too far from the Montana and Wyoming border, close to the north entrance of Yellowstone which is the only entrance that is open year round. Whether it is actually in Yellowstone, not sure, According to some things that I have read, he really likes the areas he spent in Yellowstone as a child, fishing in certain spots.
I also think the "home of Brown" is about bears, not trout. There is a brown bear sanctuary in Montana(I forget the name of it)

Where is the largest area that is home to the "Brown Bear" or as commonly known as the Grizzly bear??? The Yellowstone ecosystem.. The home of the brown.. That was the ingenious thought I had came up with to.. But that only narrows it down to a couple thousand square miles.. :)

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it has been said that there is a key in his studio that will open the box when you take the chest to him? Like a 700 year old chest could not be opened with a paperclip and a small screwdriver?? I am with some of you and he really has not hid it yet. If he did, does anyone know where his house is? From his house can he take a 60x spotting scope and look say five to ten miles and see the chest? There are two ways to know if its been found: 1.. You have not hid it yet and its in your basement... 2.. You are able to see it from a vantage point at regular intervals to make sure its not found. Somebody else input ideas..... I have been told by many treasure seekers that this is BS and he wants attention. What else would be a perfect way of getting attention in a horrible economy like we are in right now that to have a treasure worth millions to find????? Oh.. there are actually three ways.. when your cold and brave and in the woods when you pick up the chest another 42 lbs of C4 is going to go off and everyone for 50 miles is going to know that Forrest Fenn's infamous treasure was found.. You will have been brave and cold and will be in the woods.. ALL OVER THE WOODS... :laughing7:

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the smart way for Fenn to know if the treasure has been found is to set up a wireless game camera, which is capable of emailing pictures. They're relatively inexpensive, when you are concerned about a treasure over 2 million dollars.

However, I am partial to the idea of a key being the final step.

Also, why would a man go to such great lengths to create a lie? I don't think some of you guys understand what kind of implications that kind of a lie would have. For example: A treasure hunter thinks it's in a heavily wooded area and ends up being killed by an animal. I don't think Fenn, given his love for nature, would want to put someone in harms way; let alone harms way for nothing.

Back to research.....

Nicko

Greenie
Feb 27, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the smart way for Fenn to know if the treasure has been found is to set up a wireless game camera, which is capable of emailing pictures. They're relatively inexpensive, when you are concerned about a treasure over 2 million dollars.

However, I am partial to the idea of a key being the final step.

Also, why would a man go to such great lengths to create a lie? I don't think some of you guys understand what kind of implications that kind of a lie would have. For example: A treasure hunter thinks it's in a heavily wooded area and ends up being killed by an animal. I don't think Fenn, given his love for nature, would want to put someone in harms way; let alone harms way for nothing.

Back to research.....

I agree with you fetcher. As proud as Forrest seems, if this were a hoax, it would devastate his so called legacy he is attempting to leave behind.

Honestly though, who would actually report the finding if\when the treasure is found? Would someone want that kind of exposure?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread