Forrest Fenn s treasure

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Fenn know Karl Von Mueller (a noted treasure hunter in the late sixties and seventies)? Or at least mentions him in any of his writings? Any ideas?

TT

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a friend of Karl and l never heard him mention FF
thanks Hobo...wow ! You knew karl vin mueller? He is a legendary figure.He is the first one to introduce the lue map in modern times...do you have any additional insider info on the lue?i mean from things he said?
Thanks
Tintin Treasure

SteveX

Oct 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, has Forrest really thought this thru? I don't think so...I think he underestimated the power of greed and somebody will get hurt or killed trying to figure this out. We're all too familiar with Jacob Waltz, how many inexperienced gold hunters have perished hunting for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine? Why do you need a riddle like this to inspire you to head out into the wilderness and enjoy nature? If that's the point then that's sad. If you really wanted to figure this out, there are many other clues that can be obtained that have nothing to do with his poem, for instance, a real investigator would interview members of his family, friends, his whereabouts when he said he buried his treasure, you could go as far as to triangulate his cell phone data to get an exact coordinate in and around when he was burying his treasure, there would be witnesses. This crazy old goon is going to get somebody hurt. The irony in all this is he says the proceeds from his book (which includes the clues in the poem) are to help kids fighting cancer. Why not donate your wealth directly to them? I guess my point is to say, just don't take this too far. If you decide to go for a hunt keep it simple. Don't throw in your rent payment, savings or do anything beyond what your capable of. Don't hang from a cliff or cross a raging river. Just make a fun weekend out of it and call it a day. Good luck.

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Hobo...wow ! You knew karl vin mueller? He is a legendary figure.He is the first one to introduce the lue map in modern times...do you have any additional insider info on the lue?i mean from things he said?
Thanks
Tintin Treas

I don't think FF was very well known when Karl (his real name was Charles Dean Miller) was living. I remember him going to look for the Lue and talking about it, but nothing important l can recall. It was in the 60s lots of year ago.
Do you have any of his books?

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, has Forrest really thought this thru? I don't think so...I think he underestimated the power of greed and somebody will get hurt or killed trying to figure this out. We're all too familiar with Jacob Waltz, how many inexperienced gold hunters have perished hunting for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine? Why do you need a riddle like this to inspire you to head out into the wilderness and enjoy nature? If that's the point then that's sad. If you really wanted to figure this out, there are many other clues that can be obtained that have nothing to do with his poem, for instance, a real investigator would interview members of his family, friends, his whereabouts when he said he buried his treasure, you could go as far as to triangulate his cell phone data to get an exact coordinate in and around when he was burying his treasure, there would be witnesses. This crazy old goon is going to get somebody hurt. The irony in all this is he says the proceeds from his book (which includes the clues in the poem) are to help kids fighting cancer. Why not donate your wealth directly to them? I guess my point is to say, just don't take this too far. If you decide to go for a hunt keep it simple. Don't throw in your rent payment, savings or do anything beyond what your capable of. Don't hang from a cliff or cross a raging river. Just make a fun weekend out of it and call it a day. Good luck.

I don't think its FF who is the( crazy old goon.)

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
Tintin Treas

I don't think FF was very well known when Karl (his real name was Charles Dean Miller) was living. I remember him going to look for the Lue and talking about it, but nothing important l can recall. It was in the 60s lots of year ago.
Do you have any of his books?

Thanks Hobo

Not had a chance to see his books like treasure hunting manual no 7 where he posts the lue.Lately I came across this YouTube presentation by Randy Bradford.He made quite a good research I would say

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aII61m7t1s

Tintin Treasure

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
I've been thinking about this quote from FF. "You won't happen upon the chest". Where in the heck could you hide something that nobody could happen upon it? People go everywhere!!!! AND to be hidden for 100-1000 years. HOW CAN THIS BE?? I do have one thought and it would seem the only way this could happen. I just haven't sold myself that FF would have hidden the chest in this way. If he did it, is one hell of a plan!!! BUT it still doesn't show me exactly where the chest is... but does narrow the area considerably. Not expecting anyone to give anything away, but just wondering if you guys have thought of this.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been thinking about this quote from FF. "You won't happen upon the chest". Where in the heck could you hide something that nobody could happen upon it? People go everywhere!!!! AND to be hidden for 100-1000 years. HOW CAN THIS BE?? I do have one thought and it would seem the only way this could happen. I just haven't sold myself that FF would have hidden the chest in this way. If he did it, is one hell of a plan!!! BUT it still doesn't show me exactly where the chest is... but does narrow the area considerably. Not expecting anyone to give anything away, but just wondering if you guys have thought of this.

I've had this exact thought myself. Problem is...how does one get inside an active volcano without getting burned?

mjphoto54

Jun 17, 2013
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Omega 8000, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bungee jump from a helicopter....probably how he got it there!!! (Even though I still believe it's been found and gone forever).

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

i was reading an old diary/log 1850s, a few days ago, and even though im not
sure of the locale yet, though i think im close close, so now im pretty sure i know
how it was hidden. wish i could say, but that would be a game changer if anyone
else is close close. if i can get out next may, and find it ill leave a sign where it
was, so study up on the treasure signs LOL

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
LOL! It isn't quite that hot Crispin...the hiding spot anyways.

Someone could have found it by now. Always a real possibility.

cw just leave me a few lbs of that yellow metal so I know it was you. I know what you mean I would love to say what I think but it narrows it down too much. Things FF has said tells me yes and no. How the heck can that happen?? I'm done till next year so believe me I will be researching till then.

Dusty Concho

Apr 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't seen a thread on this.... Anyone interested in it? I've done some cursory research and would like to share. The distance precludes me from searching, but would like to help. :icon_pirat:

I finally bought FF's book, the first one directly from the book store in Santa Fe. Shipping and all pushed the price to $50 but it's a fun book that reminds me of a few of the times I had as a kid. I *might* go for his new book but it may be a while.

One thing that makes me wonder is how does a 58 year old guy that has recovered from cancer treatments lug a box that had to weigh somewhere between 30 and 40 pounds off into the mountains - plus his water and a lunch, maybe, a phone (was there service where he was?) in case he got hurt and all the other knick-knacks a person that knows the woods in that part of the world and come back in one day? I mean he had to be carrying a pack that was pushing 60lbs. or more wouldn't he? I think he at least implied that it only took a day to get there and back. Is there parking available nearby? I'm not doubting that FF did, indeed, hide his cache but he must have been in great shape to do it. He is, after all, a retired fighter pilot and every one of those I've ever known has stayed in shape all their lives. It's just a thing with them. I'm 58, myself, a rancher, I take care of all the fencing and windmill repairs on the ranch so I'm in pretty good shape myself but I've not had any run-ins with the "Big C" ... yet. That stuff'll knock your petzelwhacker in the dirt!

One other thought I had was that if I ever did go looking for it and found it, and I was sure no one had followed me, in the spirit of The Hunt I think it would be good to only take a few coins as a memento, leave the rest and return his bracelet to him. I think FF would appreciate that. That would mean the fun would still be there for those that search - AND it would also mean the damned "gubment" wouldn't be taking half of it at least just because they can. Or, too, I guess I could just go re-bury it on my place to keep the kids from selling it. I could have a heckuva lot of fun with that! "Dear Kids - I buried Forest's book in a box under the sixty-third fence post past the rock pile in the North East pasture of the South section after you go through the third gate from the road.... In that book is my own poem if you want to find his treasure plus what I added to it from what I said I was going to leave you all... luv, Dad." Then pray Google Earth didn't catch you in the act the day you bury it.

Last edited:

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I think the train has left quite a while ago Dusty....uh not sure why or where you got the age of 58 when he hid the chest. He was 79-80.

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He made two trips in one afternoon to hide the treasure, no need to carry any thing else. The total wt.. of the chest and contents is appox. 42 lbs.

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No treasure for me...packed up elk camp on the 1st, rear end (of truck ) started growling and clanking got a couple days fishing in and headed back to Texas...

so no treasure this year...next shot will be late may of 2016.

Time to retrofit the old steed ...26 yrs., 180,000 miles she'll get a whole new drive train....got a couple month long Arizona trip planned starting in feb. and I'll start working my way towards the treasure as it gets warmer.

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Well you gave it a good run HMT. Maybe next year will be the year.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
He was able to drive pretty darn close to the hiding spot.

I'd like to say more...

But~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread