Forrest Fenn s treasure

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope no one misinterprets what i am saying. My prayers go out to the guide and his family. I just want people to use extreme caution. There really is no safe zone in grizzly country.

A quick story my grandfather told of he and his brother out fishing and the brother saw a bear and started running. His pant leg got caught on a short stump or branch and he yelled because he thought the bear had him. In seconds he had run over to where my grandfather was fishing. They calculated how log it took him between the yell and once he got to my grandfather and concluded it would have been a sports record. Bet Deion Sanders would have done much better.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it sounds easy to say just bring a gun, but stats show 50% of attacks where a firearm was used resulted in injury.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Montana bow hunters are not allowed to carry. Don't know about Wyoming. Two bears--double barrel.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, at least all the single digit post count trollers are gone. I think the treasure is hidden where there is not a lot of traffic by humans. So exclude tourist attraction type places. When you factor in flash floods, landslides, forest fires, etc. The treasure could be at the bottom of a sinkhole right now. I live here in Colorado, so I will warn everybody right now, winter in the Rockies can be extremely dangerous. If you get hurt and can't walk out , you will most likely freeze to death. You need at a minimum a good handheld GPS and a satellite EPIRB or satellite telephone. I have seen the Army be called in to rescue people because "Flight For Life" helicopters are too small and can't handle the extreme wind or altitude. I'm talking Chinook size helicopters because even a Blackhawk helicopter is underpowered. It gets so cold diesel turns to jello.
Like Forrest Fenn, I was in the Air Force and had special training, but there is NO substitute for experience. If you haven't camped out for a few months in Rockies or any other large mountain range and lived it personally, it can be deadly. My first year camping out here, I woke up to a crazy man waving a large bore pistol at me.

Good luck and I hope somebody finds it next year!

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already been found boys....pack up the "Search" for the chest....cause hunting ghosts only has you chasing a legend.

Forrest Fenn Michael Aquino Sammy Davis.jpg

DSC00129.JPG

Done it tired and now I'm weak

suspension brisge.jpg

Just loads of BS await the finder of his bones

Forrest Fenn Bones.jpg

So now you know why he is being shut down....cause there is no chest.....just a heart of stone....and a list of murders that were his ultimate fantasies that he put together when he was a "Big Star" in the show

sog-pOSTER-webview.jpg

Feb 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lawsuits have started, alleging Fenn is guilty of FRAUD

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16538560/hanson-v-fenn/

Treasure hunter files $1.5million lawsuit accusing art dealer Forrest Fenn of providing 'misleading clues' to the $3 million chest of gold booty he claims to have hidden in the Rocky Mountains ten years ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nn-providing-misleading-clues-chest-gold.html

Frustrated fortune hunter’s filing fingers Forrest Fenn
https://www.abqjournal.com/1398042/frustrate-fortune-hunter-fingers-fenn-in-lawsuit.html

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Lawsuits have started, alleging Fenn is guilty of FRAUD

This line from the Journal is interesting:

"David Harold Hanson filed the complaint on his own, without an attorney, in Albuquerque federal court this week."

Why would you file a lawsuit such as this without an attorney? Discovery will make mincemeat out of this guy, because if the lawsuit proceeds, Fenn will most certainly have an attorney who will zero in on this part of Hanson's complaint:

"He claims Fenn gave misleading clues about where he hid a chest said to contain $2 million in valuables, causing Hanson to lose out on money and not be able to care for his family."

For starters, it's going to be almost impossible to define "misleading" when it comes to a treasure hunt and clues. In fact, it wouldn't be much of a treasure hunt if the clues were easy and straightforward. And if not finding the treasure was the reason Hanson couldn't care for his family he probably shouldn't have gone on a treasure hunt in the first place.

Fenn's e-mail comment is very interesting in and of itself, considering Hanson's claim that someone "close" to Fenn found the treasure because of Fenn's actions:

“I don’t want comment except to say that the treasure is still where I hid it more than 10 years ago".

So apparently despite his age, he is still able to keep tabs on it, which to me is more evidence that the treasure is located in New Mexico, very near his home.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Midden - I’ve wondered too how Fenn is so sure the treasure hasn’t been found. Going to the site himself would be risky so either he has an accomplice who occasionally verifies the chest is still there or he’s using a technological solution. I’m thinking a radio GPS that’s only activated mechanically; like when the chest is opened or moved. Lithium batteries would need to be replaced every few years at most.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Midden - I’ve wondered too how Fenn is so sure the treasure hasn’t been found. Going to the site himself would be risky so either he has an accomplice who occasionally verifies the chest is still there or he’s using a technological solution. I’m thinking a radio GPS that’s only activated mechanically; like when the chest is opened or moved. Lithium batteries would need to be replaced every few years at most.

That would work, but I seem to recall that Fenn has made statements to the effect that people have been within X feet of the treasure. Some people here have speculated he knows this because the treasure is hidden near trail cameras maintained by the Parks Services. I think anyone actually visiting it on a regular or semi-regular basis is risky, so I wonder if Fenn has a line of sight view of it from his house. There are some really nice telescopes available, and these days they are set up to accept digital cameras and recording devices. He could almost leave it set up and focused tight on the location, with a video camera set to activate on motion in the field of view. It would also be interesting to see if there are any videos of Fenn in his house doing interviews or something. If I was watching one I'd definitely look for a telescope near a window and try to calculate direction and line of sight vectors. On the other hand, I'd like to believe Fenn would be smart enough to move a telescope prior to an interview taking place, or at least change the direction he has it pointed, i.e. up at the sky.

dtreece99

Feb 16, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i searched for it last year,spent a couple days there.And my first thought was ,what if he is lying and its south of santa fe,new mexico ...heres a few of my deductions-where warm waters halt=Snowy River Cave,a crystallized calcite river,..home of brown=the ranch where Henry Brown and Jessie james worked and lived....the Blaze=the gunfight at Blazers Mill ,The grave of John Blazer......i thought if you stood at his grave youd see a clue beyond it ..there was nothing..so im headed out next month to search somewhere else and this time i think i got it.........(and i didnt disturb the graves at all).. 75102847_554882118386389_4659011550097440768_n.jpg 72831108_554881868386414_6659175302993805312_n.jpg 72717460_554885271719407_7961482152476934144_n.jpg

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
And my first thought was ,what if he is lying and its south of santa fe,new mexico ...

There are several people here who think Fenn is lying. But they believe he is lying about there being a treasure at all. And if we go down the lying road, that makes sense. If he was going to lie about something, I think the more reasonable lie would be about the existence of the treasure, not about the location. Lying about the location implies that he doesn't want anyone to find it. But if he doesn't want anyone to find it, the best way to do that is to not hide the treasure in the first place.

travis.gore.79

Sep 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he keeps track of it by the paperwork inside.

“I give you title to the gold”
Title shows ownership

The IRS will allow you to gift up to $11.98 million once in your lifetime. The donator pays the taxes. He is betting on someone calling his attorney to finish the paperwork so they don’t have to pay taxes on it.

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he keeps track of it by the paperwork inside.

“I give you title to the gold”
Title shows ownership

The IRS will allow you to gift up to $11.98 million once in your lifetime. The donator pays the taxes. He is betting on someone calling his attorney to finish the paperwork so they don’t have to pay taxes on it.

Hi Travis,

Where does the IRS say this?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Where does the IRS say this?

You’ve never seen the movie Shawshank Redemption?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_tax_in_the_United_States#Exemptions
"There are two levels of exemption from the gift tax. First, gifts of up to the annual exclusion ($14,000 per recipient for the years 2013 thru 2017 and $15,000 for 2018 thru 2020) incur no tax or filing requirement. By splitting their gifts, married couples can give up to twice this amount tax-free. Each giver and recipient pair has its own annual exclusion; a giver can give to any number of recipients and the exclusion is not affected by other gifts that recipient may have received from other givers.

Second, gifts in excess of the annual exclusion may still be tax-free up to the lifetime estate basic exclusion amount ($11.58 million for 2020). For estates over that amount, however, such gifts might result in an increase in estate taxes. Taxpayers that expect to have a taxable estate may sometimes prefer to pay gift taxes as they occur, rather than saving them up as part of the estate.

Furthermore, transfers (whether by bequest, gift, or inheritance) in excess of $1 million may be subject to a generation-skipping transfer tax if certain other criteria are met.
"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions