Forrest Fenn s treasure

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While not overly "direct", Forrest will tell you what he thinks. He will NOT lie, but he WILL require you to figure out exactly what he's saying.

Hello Mark
From your statement above, I have to think that you are his priest and he is a devout Catholic. How else would you know that "he will NOT lie"? Maybe "I don't think he would lie" is more appropriate.

We know that he is a grave robber and has no problem with that so how do we know that he may not lie? Just saying have an open mind and don't rule anything out if you are searching.

HH
V

ousooner82

Aug 21, 2012
I just want to know how anyone would know if someone was within 500ft of it unless they were in direct communication with Forrest and discussing threads of hunters.

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
ousooner82 said:
I just want to know how anyone would know if someone was within 500ft of it unless they were in direct communication with Forrest and discussing threads of hunters.

Ditto

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks snakeyes, I'm hoping to be in Santa Fe in December. I'd like to hear what these gents have to say.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many hunters, including myself, ARE in fact, frequently in contact with Forrest (or WERE). After our Newsweek article, Forrest seems to have been inundated with emails and other contacts, and has been a little off the radar, communication-wise. Pre-article, he was extremely good at returning communications.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mark
From your statement above, I have to think that you are his priest and he is a devout Catholic. How else would you know that "he will NOT lie"? Maybe "I don't think he would lie" is more appropriate.

We know that he is a grave robber and has no problem with that so how do we know that he may not lie? Just saying have an open mind and don't rule anything out if you are searching.

HH
V
It's certainly a valid point. I guess you could say he robbed graves...that were on property he owned. No real crime in that, that I've seen. Ethically shady?? Depends on whom you ask. I've talked to Forrest on several occasions and have found that he really has zero reason to lie. He's so vague and cagey, that a lie would be overkill...redundant, in fact. He's intentionally obtuse about the treasure for obvious reasons.

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
themarkd said:
Many hunters, including myself, ARE in fact, frequently in contact with Forrest (or WERE). After our Newsweek article, Forrest seems to have been inundated with emails and other contacts, and has been a little off the radar, communication-wise. Pre-article, he was extremely good at returning communications.

What's the best way to contact him? I've reached out via the contact form on his blog, but haven't seen an email anywhere.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's certainly a valid point. I guess you could say he robbed graves... Ethically shady?? Depends on whom you ask.

I don't think that many will disagree with me that once a person is ceremonially put into the ground to rest is peace...that they should be able to rest in peace. Taking their masks, clothing, pipes, jewelry, etc and throwing their bare remains back into a hole with some dirt is just not right. And all for monetary gain.

I don't care to be around the ones that think otherwise.

V

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vor, my friend
your shark is giving me a headache, put it back in the ocean or eat it.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best way to contact him? I've reached out via the contact form on his blog, but haven't seen an email anywhere.
The email on his website is the only way (aside from my team's very random invitation to his home) that I've used. Like I mentioned, after the newsweek aticle came out, he was inundated with crazies. I would venture he still reads each email, so make it interesting and inquisitive.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that many will disagree with me that once a person is ceremonially put into the ground to rest is peace...that they should be able to rest in peace. Taking their masks, clothing, pipes, jewelry, etc and throwing their bare remains back into a hole with some dirt is just not right. And all for monetary gain.

I don't care to be around the ones that think otherwise.

V
Definitely a respectful position. I go back and forth on it. Certainly Forrest has sold some of the objects, and also has many of the amazing ones on display in his home, but he's also given some away to Universities for reasearch and study. So, I just can't commit to a position on the grave "robbing" idea.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a respectful position. I go back and forth on it. Certainly Forrest has sold some of the objects, and also has many of the amazing ones on display in his home, but he's also given some away to Universities for reasearch and study. So, I just can't commit to a position on the grave "robbing" idea.

Luckily its not us that has "blood" on our hands. But there are some angry spirits floating around just waiting for the day. As they same, karma's a b__ch.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily its not us that has "blood" on our hands. But there are some angry spirits floating around just waiting for the day. As they same, karma's a b__ch.
Yeah. For sure. It's not something I think I could personally do. Seems like a crapload of bad mojo. But he's done some noble things quietly, and I'm a big believer in private property rights.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. For sure. It's not something I think I could personally do. Seems like a crapload of bad mojo. But he's done some noble things quietly, and I'm a big believer in private property rights.

I believe in private property rights also but if it was a burial ground and owned by the tribe at the time of burial, it is a little different set of circumstances. I can only guess that the land was taken from the tribe against their will years ago.

If there is an old settler's graveyard on my ranch I don't think I have the right to dig them up and take their rings off of their boney fingers and dump their remains back into the hole.

Just because you do some "noble" things (and we have no real proof that he did) it does not absolve you from all of your sins. Maybe makes you feel a little better about yourself where you can get a little sleep at night.

Just my .02 and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

sprinkle

Nov 27, 2012
themarkd said:
The email on his website is the only way (aside from my team's very random invitation to his home) that I've used. Like I mentioned, after the newsweek aticle came out, he was inundated with crazies. I would venture he still reads each email, so make it interesting and inquisitive.

Great, thanks for the direction.

Deepseeker1

Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through a source, I've heard that a person was within 500 feet. Now, that's pretty damn close, but depending on where all this person has searched, it still could be anywhere from Canada to Santa Fe. We've vowed not to tell the person because it could DESTROY someone's psyche.

How could that destroy a persons psyche? I for one would like to know if it were me. If you know, shouldn't He or She (the finder of the blaze) know they were close?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread