Forrest Fenn s treasure

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Various Seismic generators and magnetic anomoly detector equipment (MADs).
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I went back and found your earlier post..how does the first stanza explain how to USE the poem/clues? You can PM if you'd rather (and if you're willing),g I just don't think this idea holds much weight.

The first stanza is where F' speaks of how he broke a rule. At the same time his words distracted many, and hinted at how to get to where you can see the treasure (notice I said "see" the treasure). Remember, He had a long time to perfect this poem. Unless you can decipher what rule he broke, you don't know how to proceed.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You really should find a new hobby, one that you are good at.

I'm just saying'...

No thank you.... been doin this for years and kinda have the hang of it I think.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So humor an old Fart like me and tell me what rule he broke.

Puzzlesolver

Jul 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No thank you.... been doin this for years and kinda have the hang of it I think.

Been doing what for years? Irritating people? What have you got the hang of? Putting letters together to form words?

From my perspective, you have no abilities or skills that would allow you to solve FF's poem.

Stick to crosswords.

Phillip88

Jul 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU... Good luck on your quest.

Maybe Mr. Fenn has died and that is why no one has seen or heard from him. It could be his family just keeping his legacy alive......

Forrest is very much alive and well. Got an email from him just a few days ago.
theforrestfenntreasure.com

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Been doing what for years? Irritating people? What have you got the hang of? Putting letters together to form words?

From my perspective, you have no abilities or skills that would allow you to solve FF's poem.

Stick to crosswords.

Fantastic!!! Puzzlesolver's first three posts of his illustrious forum and treasure hunting career are all derogatory and contribute ZERO. WELL, you are still batting a thousand in SOMETHING anyways.

And DUUHHH!!!!! Solving the poem IS about putting letters together to form words.

On another note, hope you got my PM ARRR. Hopefully it makes sense to you. It comes after reading all the different threads sites and resources, and ultimately applying logical data to what F' said.... Not just apply random pieces of the poem to out of context ideas and musings. Like I said in my PM, the poem is a "thrilling" journey to where you can see where a child could go to pick up the treasure.

My apologies to you Puzzlesolver if this is giving you a headache, this does involve some abstract thought processes.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And....Coming Soon To A Forum Near You.... Stanza II and why we should familiarise ourselves with 'borders' when we are on our intERstate treasure hunt.

Anyone who gets upset at this point is just PO'd because they see this is going somewhere they wanna be.

ARR-MATEY

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first stanza is where F' speaks of how he broke a rule. At the same time his words distracted many, and hinted at how to get to where you can see the treasure (notice I said "see" the treasure). Remember, He had a long time to perfect this poem. Unless you can decipher what rule he broke, you don't know how to proceed.

Fenn never says he broke a rule. He says he keeps his secret "in there."

mudd

Mar 16, 2013
Kansas city,KS
Detector(s) used
a 50$ Silver seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you be so sure, Mudd?

Because I found it...... ok no I didn't

He can now sell books or maps or whatever.... He has now made himself immortal, something we all would love to do. have people talking about us in a 100 years how our treasure has not yet been found. Keep people off the sofa and in to the wild,, just as F.F wanted.

Its a cool story an still somewhere in my mind I want it to be true..

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Fenn never says he broke a rule. He says he keeps his secret "in there."

"Sigh".... Of course he didn't say "I broke a rule".... but if he came right out and said he did what I PM'd that he did, then he is making the admission that he broke that rule
Are you seriously thinking that if I told you I robbed a bank that it is not like I was telling you I broke a rule? It is logical, even if F' did not come right out and say it....he broke a (safety) rule by doing what he did.

And he never used the words "in there" in that line.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here is another example RRR-, your last reply told me you did not commit the poem to memory, and that you did not find the other things I told you of any value in making sense of the poem.

No you didn't come right out and say that verbatim, but it is inferred by your statement.

F's poem does the same thing, it is meant to prompt other logical inferences. In fact, sometimes you can make a conclusion by what is NOT said, or what is missing. F' knew guys like me in the military, we gather info, process it for logical or cryptic inferences, and come to some frighteningly accurate conclusions.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The profit goes to cancer patients. But still, all you need is the poem and thats free.

You pegged it. The "profit" in this could be zero after his royalty fee, marketing/consulting and other admin cost.

It sounds like Mr. Fenn is a treasure hunter who found millions of dollars of treasure. If yes, how did he do it and when?
BBJ

Though he has found his share of artifacts (many from pueblos/cliff dwellings sighted by air) on federal and private land, he did best with the opening of the art gallery funded by an equity partner.

Having had to sell his interest in the gallery and under federal investigation for dealing in antiquities and grave goods he must be burning through a lot of cash. Not to mention having to maintain a lavish lifestyle My guess is that he will continue his "story" and writing books to keep the lights on.

I don't think any of us are in a position to state his wealth unless someone in here is his accountant.

And I don't think that any of us should pass judgement on his intentions either.

ARR-MATEY said:
I think it's clear he wants a place in history. I don't think he wants his 15 minutes of fame I think he wants to be remembered, have a legacy, and his story go down as a legend. But the only way to ensure that your story survives generation after generation is to make sure the treasure is never found and people continue to search. The only way to ensure that is the never bury a treasure in the first place.

Glad to see some common sense on this thread.

Everyone should take their blinders off and approach this with an open mind unaffected by treasure fever. It is one thing to chase a dream and another to chase a wild goose.

V

Last edited:

ARR-MATEY

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F's poem does the same thing, it is meant to prompt other logical inferences.

Such is the entire nature of a poem - any poem - to be abstract while still referring to a specific event/observation/moment/whatever.

Bravo.

He broke a "safety rule"????? LOL now that is just a little far-fetched for you make the "logical inference" that it means there is a rule, or a key, one must follow to unlock the clues in the poem.

You're a strange cat faux-fax.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Such is the entire nature of a poem - any poem - to be abstract while still referring to a specific event/observation/moment/whatever.

Bravo.

He broke a "safety rule"????? LOL now that is just a little far-fetched for you make the "logical inference" that it means there is a rule, or a key, one must follow to unlock the clues in the poem.

You're a strange cat faux-fax.

Wow! Ok, it might be a good idea for me to cut and paste the whole Private Msg at this point.
SIGH...at this point I might as well get past the first part so everyone can have a crack at it.
What I am inferring from the first stanza is that (based on other parts of the poem as well) F' broke a cardinal rule of river boating by going alone. He went alone in the river... The river equals "there".
Hence the river to find and see the treasure, by land to retrieve it. That is what my past posts is saying. The poem is strategically imbedded with boating terms, (AND PLACES....talk to the rafters and local outfitters).

Next post will just be the cut and paste PM I sent to ARRR-

REMEMBER....I AM STILL ONLY ON THE FIRST STANZA!

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
x

fenn poem

Hello and good morning. I know folks are having a tough time with the poem. That is after all the eay it was designed.

If you spend any time looking around the "scene" and listening to the many searches for the "Indiana Jones" style Spanish/Mexican gold mines you see a very common thread speaking of old mines and death-traps amd symbols..... You know.... Good ole treasure hunting adventure stuff.

Well ol Fenn knows the dif. between fact and fiction (boobie traps have never been found, nor has the inner passage littered with beheaded skeletal remains). But this poem has the literary equivalent of dead-ends, traps, and misinformation, not to mention truths out of context... (eg: sure... If you get me to the treasure and it is on an island for example... THEN I can (or a child) just walk over amd pick it up). The poem starts out that way...and it is the shortest path of least resistance for folks to think CAVE, because it has been mentioned soooo many times before.

Well the poem has a certain 'continuity' that also holds a key. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

*** The rule F' broke was a safety rule.... But considering his mental state of neing ready to meet his maker and get the "thrilling" part, he went alone IN THE RIVER. Hence the continuity I spoke of... Later the very specific phrases "put in" and "in the wood". Put in is the term river boaters use for entering the water/river... the term also being a direction of a verb.. like F' is telling you to "put in".

"In the wood" also...very specific phrase... Forest normally was a "wader" but this time he was "in the wood". (Boat).

Gotta run. Everything else public forum please.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think any of us are in a position to state his wealth unless someone in here is his accountant.

V
Yet you did just that.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet you did just that.

Hello Mark
I stated my opinion.

At first I thought that there may be something to this. But when I started looking into the situation.....

V

RCH

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting back on topic, we know he hid the box in the Rocky Mountains north of Sante Fe. As such, people have been searching from New Mexico to the Canadian border. I also agree with everyone that Yellowstone sounds like a good place search. But I've had this nagging thought that is making it hard for me to believe he hid the treasure outside of New Mexico.

Let me explain: We know the treasure box started out at his house in Santa Fe. We know that he drove his car to the location to hide the box. We also know he did this all by himself without anyone knowing what he was up to. Finally, we know that he was about 78 or 79 and terminally ill when he hid the box. So here is my problem: Does it really make sense that a terminally ill 78 year old man would take a multi-day out-of-state trip all by himself without anyone objecting? Did he simply say "Honey, I know I'm 78 and terminally ill, but I'm going up to Yellowstone for a couple of days all by myself. See you when I get back." I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I think a more reasonable scenario is that he packed up his car early in the morning and said, "Honey, I'm going fishing today and I'll be back by dinner." If that were the case, I don't see how the treasure is outside of New Mexico, or southern Colorado at the farthest. Also, if were to make a multi-day trip, he would have to lug the treasure into his hotel room the first night or leave it in his car.

Any thoughts?

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
RCH you haven't listened to his many many times stating he was diagnosed in 1988. Back then he was going to walk into the desert with his chest and die with it. He beat cancer and decided at some point after that he would hide it for all to seek. He was and is quite healthy when he hid the chest. Tons of info out there just have to research a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread