Forrest Fenn s treasure

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Various Seismic generators and magnetic anomoly detector equipment (MADs).
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
F' never said he walked all the way from the treasure to his car. He said he walked to his car after hiding the treasure. That is what I have been trying to say... The statements he makes are playing on the laziness of the mind, where we try to abbreviate things.
Check this out......
If it was too far to walk hiding the treasure, wouldn't it be too far to walk on the way back from hiding the treasure also?

Hhhhmmmmm?!?!?!

WWhirled

Jul 11, 2013
Socorro
Detector(s) used
non dissclosde
Primary Interest:
Other
fenns loot

haven't seen a thread on this.... Anyone interested in it? I've done some cursory research and would like to share. The distance precludes me from searching, but would like to help. :icon_pirat:

What do you have in mind . Will split it with you . if you can get me within 2-3 miles of it I can lock on to it

RCH

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RCH you haven't listened to his many many times stating he was diagnosed in 1988. Back then he was going to walk into the desert with his chest and die with it. He beat cancer and decided at some point after that he would hide it for all to seek. He was and is quite healthy when he hid the chest. Tons of info out there just have to research a bit.

nvradar, you are right. I do remember this now, but I guess with all the (dis)information out there I lost track. So if he was healthy, that is better situation. But still, a trip to Yellowstone from Sante Fe by car would be a minimum four day trip (two days up and two days back). I guess he could also have met some people up there after he hid the treasure which would mean he was only alone for two days. Anyway, thanks for the input. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
F' never said he walked all the way from the treasure to his car. He said he walked to his car after hiding the treasure. That is what I have been trying to say... The statements he makes are playing on the laziness of the mind, where we try to abbreviate things.
Check this out......
If it was too far to walk hiding the treasure, wouldn't it be too far to walk on the way back from hiding the treasure also?

Hhhhmmmmm?!?!?!
You're still being too literal. It was too far to walk down the canyon. He said "put in blow the home of Brown". In the western US the term "put in" means to launch a boat, or other floating device. Maybe he unloaded such a device, and then drove his car down below the treasure location, and floated down to it, leaving the treasure somewhere in between. The possibilities are endless. He said "take it in the canyon down", and then "put in below the home of Brown". Both suggest he floated down the canyon because it was too far too walk, or maybe too rough....might have only been a mile, or even less. Farther down the canyon, he may have easily walked to his car.
Jim

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You're still being too literal. It was too far to walk down the canyon. He said "put in blow the home of Brown". In the western US the term "put in" means to launch a boat, or other floating device. Maybe he unloaded such a device, and then drove his car down below the treasure location, and floated down to it, leaving the treasure somewhere in between. The possibilities are endless. He said "take it in the canyon down", and then "put in below the home of Brown". Both suggest he floated down the canyon because it was too far too walk, or maybe too rough....might have only been a mile, or even less. Farther down the canyon, he may have easily walked to his car.
Jim

First off... OF COURSE I'M BEING LITERAL WITH A PIECE OF LITERATURE!!!

Second, what kind of Einstein finally makes the suggestion that he took a boat after I have been trying to drill that whole idea into everyone's head for the last two pages? Did you even look at the name on the previous posts, where I mentioned "put in" and "in the wood", not to mention riverg boating alone and how he was seeking the thrill (in fact he used the word....quite LITERALLY... "thrilling").
Remember his state of mind was to cheat death.

I I I...also suggested that it would take two trips...one to find the box and a second to go where you can retrieve the box.

Remember?.... "One place to see where the treasure is, and one place to BE where. the treasure is." That is what I said in my post.

Are we ready to do the second stanza yet?

Last edited:

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Glad to help RCH. It is tough to cipher through all the he said stuff to determine if it was said. Then the circle talkers.....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Second, what kind of Einstein finally makes the suggestion that he took a boat after I have been trying to drill that whole idea into everyone's head for the last two pages? Did you even look at the name on the previous posts, where I mentioned "put in" and "in the wood", not to mention riverg boating alone and how he was seeking the thrill (in fact he used the word....quite LITERALLY... "thrilling").

I I I...also suggested that it would take two trips...one to find the box and a second to go where you can retrieve the box.

Remember?.... "One place to see where the treasure is, and one place to BE where. the treasure is." That is what I said in my post.

Sorry...I only read the post I quoted. I think you and I are on the same page. I've felt it was a rafting, or boating deal from the start. And, because of the "cold" mentioned in the last stanza, at some point you're going to get wet....either from rough water, or having to wade. Also, I'm obviously not Einstein, so no argument there.
Jim

warpigs777

Mar 2, 2013
albuquerque
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait...But wouldnt you have too find the box to retrieve it?? Isnt that one trip?

Puzzlesolver

Jul 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!!! Puzzlesolver's first three posts of his illustrious forum and treasure hunting career are all derogatory and contribute ZERO. WELL, you are still batting a thousand in SOMETHING anyways.

And DUUHHH!!!!! Solving the poem IS about putting letters together to form words.

On another note, hope you got my PM ARRR. Hopefully it makes sense to you. It comes after reading all the different threads sites and resources, and ultimately applying logical data to what F' said.... Not just apply random pieces of the poem to out of context ideas and musings. Like I said in my PM, the poem is a "thrilling" journey to where you can see where a child could go to pick up the treasure.

My apologies to you Puzzlesolver if this is giving you a headache, this does involve some abstract thought processes.

You want my contribution? Fine:

"Warm waters" represents the Firehole River itself, which ends ("halts") when it merges with the Gibbon River at Madison Junction in YNP.

"Canyon down" refers to Firehole Canyon and "too far to walk" is a hint that you should drive. Coincidentally, Firehole Canyon Drive Runs along the Firehole River through this canyon.

"No need to dig up the old outhouses" apparently refers to the two old outhouses near the end of Firehole Canyon Drive.

"Home of Brown:" Above Firehole Canyon is a bear management area, which is home to a large number of Grizzly (I.e., Brown) bears.

"From there it's no place for the meek" -- wasn't too difficult to figure out where this area is.

More to follow.....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

"Warm waters" represents the Firehole River itself, which ends ("halts") when it merges with the Gibbon River at Madison Junction in YNP.

"Canyon down" refers to Firehole Canyon and "too far to walk" is a hint that you should drive. Coincidentally, Firehole Canyon Drive Runs along the Firehole River through this canyon.

"No need to dig up the old outhouses" apparently refers to the two old outhouses near the end of Firehole Canyon Drive.

"Home of Brown:" Above Firehole Canyon is a bear management area, which is home to a large number of Grizzly (I.e., Brown) bears.

"From there it's no place for the meek" -- wasn't too difficult to figure out where this area is.

More to follow.....
Well, if what he said "take it in the canyon down"...means go downstream from where "warm waters halt"...you'd need to go down the Madison, not upstream to Firehole Canyon.
Jim

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, if what he said "take it in the canyon down"...means go downstream from where "warm waters halt"...you'd need to go down the Madison, not upstream to Firehole Canyon.
Jim[/QUOT
You are right Jim that is why the Firehole theory doesn't work. Forget about bears or fish too. I suggest you talk to outfitters in the area for where the warm waters halt. And to know where that is you have to know boundaries or borders. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK... Not everything is on a map, but is explainedin literature (sorry, there's that "literature" thing again, so I guess I will be Literal again).

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

More to follow.....

Thanks for the input. There have been previous posts and comments, and even documentaries of people searching that area. I cannot yet go into some details, but their efforts so far have been fruitless.
One clarification I will make is that the statement regarding outhouses came after a string of posts by a member facitiously touting that the treasure was quite literally that which is normally found in a real outhouse.
F' reads this string every so often.

It helps if you read this thread from the beginning.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A little foreshadowing (there's that "literal" thinking again..lol):

Remembering waaayy back when someone made a reply to F' publicly suggesting April as a good time to search, this member noted that would coincide with the opening of roads closed during the winter.
There is another reason for April. Can anyone guess what this might be?
I will give you a hint: "waters high"

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A little foreshadowing (there's that "literal" thinking again..lol):

Remembering waaayy back when someone made a reply to F' publicly suggesting April as a good time to search, this member noted that would coincide with the opening of roads closed during the winter.
There is another reason for April. Can anyone guess what this might be?
I will give you a hint: "waters high"
If you are suggesting that the rivers are "high" in April, that's not right. Generally highest water levels occur in early June. Most rivers in the high country are low, clear, and fishable in April.
Jim

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also went to Sheridan, Wy alone for a week or two each year. Travelling isnt a problem for him.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Frank... Good stuff! And Mike, thanks f rthe PM.
The runoff in the Rockies I hear is similar, but on a larger scale than our Berkshires here on the east. Difference is ours flow predominantly south, but that doesn't matter. What does matter though is hydrodynamics and fortunately my darling daughter is a geologist . What happens is kind of a delayed reaction. Rivers swell near the melts, then diminish as the water seeps into the ground and meets the aquasphere, then more runoff goes down the stream, then once the ground is saturated enough, both sources emerge together downstream and the river is swollen again. So along the length it almost is more barren in the middle. As the months go on though it becomes uniform, then finally more swollen downstream as we are custom to believing. So I guess it depends on what part of the river and what time of year.
KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Here is the point we are after though, and it is where most camps are divided. So many have worked so hard at this and spent so many hours at home in the field, so I understand if someone gets testy on this point.
Throw away the whole idea of how far travel the would be, as some people love to travel and explore more than others. First before delving into stanza two, I would like to hear some of ideas others have for where the warm waters halt. I have read them all, but not the why's. Still I have not heard a specific, LITERAL (ha ha couldn't help myself) posting anywhere's that contains a little know fact, a fact non the less written down some where. So can we see an argument or two? I promise I will get to this in my next post. Then you will know where I would, and I suggest you should start your thrilling journey.... But don't be alone when you take chances..

Ps: Jim, you have taken this journey, or similar, in your mind as well.... I can tell you see yourself going through the motions to make sense of the poem. Visualizing things is a good way of deciding if an idea makes sense. Things have to be logical, and flow like a river (I might PM which river, depending on the feedback here.)

Last edited:

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't think I'm suckin up to Jim now, it's just he's the last (but not the only) person to mention distances, AND he visualized how F' could accomplish his feat of magic.

But face it now.... distance is a relative term when it is a subjective (almost qualitative) term. To F' who flies, and talks of fishing holes being 5,9 or 11 miles apart like he really walked those miles, to you or in such a wilderness might seem wicked far. So when we take this journey through one place, on to another state, understand a 20 minute trip as the Fenn flies is like 2 hours in our car. Or five days on foot. Or two days by boat (unless you drive some, and then boat some.)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ps: Jim, you have taken this journey, or similar, in your mind as well.... I can tell you see yourself going through the motions to make sense of the poem. Visualizing things is a good way of deciding if an idea makes sense. Things have to be logical, and flow like a river (I might PM which river, depending on the feedback here.)
Yup...and, I have lots of experience in the Yellowstone area. It's only 3 hours north of my home. As far as "where warm waters halt" there is no definitive answer, as everybody has their own definition of "warm". As others have posted...it could be where the Gibbon and Firehole meet to form the Madison. Or it could be at the last major swimming hole on the Firehole, above the canyon stretch....who could possibly have a definitive answer? And, that's assuming the Treasure is hidden in the Park in the first place. My lifelong best friend, and I, are going up there this fall for some brown trout fishing. We'll be hitting the lower Gibbon, the Firehole, and the Madison. We were up there over the Memorial day weekend, and looked at several possibilities that had occurred to us...mostly we discarded them. In the process, we stumbled on a place that fits fairly well, but didn't go look...too may people around. We'll check that spot while up there.
When we each read the poem, we both thought it was probably a spot around either Firehole Falls, or the Gibbon Falls, but ended up discarding both.
We have been fishing up there since the early '70's, so know of objects that existed then that are no longer around. We also know of picnic areas, parking areas, etc., that have been either moved, or eliminated. 'F' would also know of these places, and they could figure in his clues....but again, who knows?
Jim

Puzzlesolver

Jul 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim

It doesn't mean go downstream. Where is the canyon downstream from Madison Junction that is too far too walk?

Where downstream from Madison Junction is a canyon "below the home of Brown?"

"...too far to walk" is simply a clue that a person does not HAVE to walk. How far is too far to walk? The answer is subjective and for a person to have a "reasonable chance" (FF's words) at finding the treasure this cannot be a guessing game.

"...down" in this case apparently means "south." Drive south along Firehole Canyon Drive (it's a one-way road).

The next clue leads you right to the general area of the blaze and chest: "From there it's no place for the meek." The rest of the stanza contains clue that serve to confirm that area.

There is only ONE place in Yellowstone that is no place for the meek, but one must know the definition of "meek" to find it.

More to follow....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread