Forrest Fenn s treasure

flopper

Feb 4, 2013
West Richland, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III
TakE it iN ....ThE caNyon down
10 or 1010 or 10+10

My opinion is that you are trying to mold clues to fit where you think the treasure might be. I am only saying this because we all have done the same thing to a degree.

I thought that was the whole point of the poem the figure out the puzzle of FF life. Which will lead to the treasure .

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Various Seismic generators and magnetic anomoly detector equipment (MADs).
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I thought that was the whole point of the poem the figure out the puzzle of FF life. Which will lead to the treasure .

But the poem.isn't about F''s life. It is a set of directions. Supposedly one just needs the poem, even if you don't know F'.

I do have a new concept I haven't heard yet.

There is one place we didn't think of yet, where you might (a). Find the blaze; (b). Look quickly down; (c). Brave the cold; and (d). Be in the wood [or bush].

That is if you had taken a small biplane (like the mountain bush pilots fly) out of the airport in Gardiner and had flown it down Yankee Jim Canyon. (I am there for many very good reasons).

Maybe something to that?

I know F' had stated he hid the treasure without taking into account Google Earth, which as you pan in different directions in a way simulates flying somewhat.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I LIKE YANKEE JIM CANYON ALSO. I SPENT 4 DAYS SEARCHING THE AREA AND FOUND NOTHING

It is a large area. Did you check the area around canyon creek? Near the river of course. Also there is rumored to be an uncharted Joe Brown gold claim in the area also.

We know why we are there though.

Still trying to find location of blaze, but that may be just a reference to "trail" and not an actual thing...maybe. But if I were there right now I would check the area intersecting the Yankee Jim and Canyon Creek trails.
I lean towards it being near the river though.

turtle123456

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2010
It is a large area. Did you check the area around canyon creek? Near the river of course. Also there is rumored to be an uncharted Joe Brown gold claim in the area also.

We know why we are there though.

Still trying to find location of blaze, but that may be just a reference to "trail" and not an actual thing...maybe. But if I were there right now I would check the area intersecting the Yankee Jim and Canyon Creek trails.
I lean towards it being near the river though.

I SEARCHED FROM YANKEE JIMS HOME TO THE BRIDGE DOWN STREAM AND FROM THE RIVER TO ABOUT 3/4 MILE FROM THE RIVER. I DID FIND A GEOCACH, WHICH I SIGNED AS AN ACCIDENTAL FIND, BUT OTHER THAN THAT NOTHING OF VALUE.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I SEARCHED FROM YANKEE JIMS HOME TO THE BRIDGE DOWN STREAM AND FROM THE RIVER TO ABOUT 3/4 MILE FROM THE RIVER. I DID FIND A GEOCACH, WHICH I SIGNED AS AN ACCIDENTAL FIND, BUT OTHER THAN THAT NOTHING OF VALUE.

I am not familiar with those terms, "geocach" and "signed as an accidental find". What do they mean?

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oh great, now I am being teased by the idea of the actual "blaze" that people ski on near Bozeman MT. It is on Blaze Mountain in the Gallitin mountain range. It has ties to Fort Ellis (which was known to have had all the buildings painted brown.), the Yellowstone river (part of bozeman trail), and definitely it is called "the blaze" in folklore and ski literature. Any feedback?

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like I have so more research to do. What does NOT make sense though is that the poeeems to be inferring "down", but the blaze as they call it near Bozeman is waaayyy up on a 10,000ft mountain... A lot higher
than the minimum 5,000ft F' hinted at.
That is unless he is talking about seeing this blaze on the mountain from a distance. In the summer it looks like a long narrow strip of snow running down the whole mountain. Whether the snow is considered to be in a gorge or a canyon I don't know

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way to complicate things F'. Now I find reference to some cross country skiing slang that discribes cross country skiing in the woods as being "in the wood". Well.... Snow IS cold I have to admit.
"Crikie".

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
How do you send a pic to F'? I think he would get a kick out of my Kidd marker.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you send a pic to F'? I think he would get a kick out of my Kidd marker.

are you asking for his email addy,or how to load an img in an email
i posted his public email addy a few posts back, it is ........ [email protected]
and your email program should have a dropdown or tab for attachment, just do what
the attachment dialog box says, hope this helps

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not trying to force anything, merely working with what we are given. I have no idea on where it might be, but FF likes puzzles, word play and anagrams. So I am looking at the poem as a puzzle. Using patterns and repeating patterns as a guide. This actually leads me away from where my first gut instinct had me researching.

Perhaps each clue has a hint associated with it. But you have too study the poem over and over again to see it.

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is worth a look, but in my opinion, FF would be more cryptic than that.

I think the blaze may refer to markers in the poem. There are too many canyons and creeks etc to ever move with confidence if you dont have something specific showing you the exact way.

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the poem is very much about Fenns life, in it leads us to a spot that is very special to him. Also his desire to share the beauty of the wild with us. To get us out doors, off our couches and computers. To leave a legacy that teaches us about the things that matter most to him.

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I believe the poem is very much about Fenns life, in it leads us to a spot that is very special to him. Also his desire to share the beauty of the wild with us. To get us out doors, off our couches and computers. To leave a legacy that teaches us about the things that matter most to him.

Well all that certainly makes sense.

Unfortunately too many things are making sense to some degree. Is all this simply a trial and error quest? If so I am disappointed in F' for not taking it to the point where there is an absolute.
Also I wonder if the things he knows, he knows so well, that he thinks they are common knowledge and common sense... when they are not really.

Last edited:

flopper

Feb 4, 2013
West Richland, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III

I think would have to agree with Dave. Especially if the man wants to be buried with such

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think would have to agree with Dave. Especially if the man wants to be buried with such

I am agreeing too. What I am seeing at this stage though is a lot of folks getting discouraged. Someone searches, gets criticism for their ideas, and after a while they hang their heads in defeat. Who says just because you looked for days a one area your heart and head said was the right place, that it was not there. Didn't F' say a few folks had been within 500 ft? There has to be a trick to find it after you get there too...I would think.
How many times did you search your home or car for something only to find it right in front of you. Ever hear the saying "if it were a snake it woulda bit you" before?

jayackam

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, it leads you to a very special spot alright, you might just be unpleasantly surprised if you were to find it and understood the danger of it and its purpose.

Poem is not solved by speculation, rather it is solved by an inspiration. He does not want the treasure to be found by just anyone. The treasures serves as a bait and trap. I wish you guys would wake up already. He is not being charitable here. He is simply seeking an eternal life - for himself, on your or rather your child's account! Remember his comments " life is like a thunderstorm - it gets dark, everyone runs for cover. Many get wet, the ones that survive are the ones with the biggest ambrela" and " I left a large part of myself in that box, I felt it go in when I closed the box last time" - parafrased. So stop making it into some Grandiose or philanthropic action by Fenn.

This is a modern day story of Daedalus and the ant. He is not giving the treasure just to anyone.

He, rather more correctly "They" are looking for something more specific. He is not doing it alone! The gold might not even be his - it is a gold and silver of Diana.

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont believe its a matter of trial and error. I think he said all you need is the poem and some research, but it isnt easy. You will move with confidence implies that you will understand completely and not be guessing.
He likes word play in the sense that you think he is saying one thing, when in fact you are wrongly inferring what his words mean. Dont rush, its not a sprint, its a marathon. Read carefully, research your ideas and decode the poem one clue at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread