idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Forrest Fenn's treasure

Hi Marke'd, I'm from Ohio. What part of the United States is this from?

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

idigdirt said:
Forrest lives in New Mexico and claims he buried it in the mountains north of Santa Fe. I'm in Iowa and am planning a SD excursion, so New Mexico isn't happenin' for me. I'll share my thoughts privately, tho.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

themarkd said:
idigdirt said:
Forrest lives in New Mexico and claims he buried it in the mountains north of Santa Fe. I'm in Iowa and am planning a SD excursion, so New Mexico isn't happenin' for me. I'll share my thoughts privately, tho.

I forgot to add a brief synopsis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margie-goldsmith/over-1-million-in-buried-_b_822894.html

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

This yarn is two years old. Is the coot still alive? Bet he was seen doin it if he did. Those hills are crawlin with hobos.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lastleg said:
This yarn is two years old. Is the coot still alive? Bet he was seen doin it if he did. Those hills are crawlin with hobos.
I think the old fart is still kickin. No report of it bein' found. But, then, who would tell anybody?

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003

If I lived in Santa Fe, I would consider spending some time on finding this cache.

The clues can be interpreted in many different ways. Home of Brown could be a favorite brown trout fly fishing river or creek. But it could be the Brown Ranch, or something else. Are the warm waters a geothermic mineral springs? Is Yellowstone (Yellow Stone) a good clue?

The treasure is not buried. It is in a cave, cleft, or perhaps in the water below the blaze (mark on a landmark? trail? arrow or initials on a tree?)

I see the book has taken a healthy increase in price. There are a couple of them for sale on Amazon at around $135.

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Markd,
I would have thought that a lot more Treasure Hunters here on Treasurenet would be out after this one! I have solved some of the clues from the poem and from his book.

I have already made a ground search and feel that I am getting close to the right area. ( yeah...that's what everybody thinks!) I will be out in the area frequently.
evans233

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Markd,
I would have thought that a lot more Treasure Hunters here on Treasurenet would be out after this one! I have solved some of the clues from the poem and from his book.

I have already made a ground search and feel that I am getting close to the right area. ( yeah...that's what everybody thinks!) I will be out in the area frequently.
evans233
The only way to know you have "some of the clues" solved is to walk to your car with the box. "home of Brown" is key, obviously, and needs to be interpreted a certain way. Happy hunting out there. Would love to hear interpretations you have.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why no interest?

HI Markd,
I would have thought that a lot more Treasure Hunters here on Treasurenet would be out after this one!
evans233

Not to be negative but it is probably a hoax just to sell the books. The guy had to be broke from his extended dig.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a hoax. Ive been in the guys house. He doesnt need money. Ive talked to him personally. Its out there.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough, he apparently lives lavishly and has a good story.

But a true artist/art lover would never leave "pre-Columbian gold animal figures, a Spanish 17th century gold-and-emerald ring and an important bracelet with turquoise beads excavated in 1898 from Mesa Verde" out in the desert with the possibility of it being melt down by a ya-hoo wandering the desert. He would leave those to his kids or a museum. Now if he just left bullion I might be inclined to go for his story. just MHO of course

Last edited:
OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that the heirs get the millions worth of artifacts in his office. He wants to be part of history. Let's let him. His ego, his loot, his choice.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree with you...his loot.

And anyway he is probably of Spanish or Portuguese descent in which tradition requires that all pre-columbian figurines/jewelry be melt down prior to sale.

Regards

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree with you...his loot.

And anyway he is probably of Spanish or Portuguese descent in which tradition requires that all pre-columbian figurines/jewelry be melt down prior to sale.

Regards
Forrest is a different breed of cat. An enigma at the least.

I do know, that if someone finds the box, he'd like the silver bracelet back. He regrets putting it in there.

ousooner82

Aug 21, 2012
I am a ways from Santa Fe but would love to search. I have studied many of the clues and feel that it is in a cave located behind the Taos Falls. Remember me when you get it.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a ways from Santa Fe but would love to search. I have studied many of the clues and feel that it is in a cave located behind the Taos Falls. Remember me when you get it.
Quite a few falls in the Northern section of New Mexico, but I, too agree that falls are probably an important part of deciphering Forrest's poem.

ousooner82

Aug 21, 2012
From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

"Heavy loads and water high"

ousooner82

Aug 21, 2012
I believe the "no paddle" tells you, you will have to travel in water but you will not be able to paddle in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions