Any ocean-side members ever found an ambergris cache?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Ambergris is another name for whale vomit. If you ever find one, you can retire. Here's a picture and link to an article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4642722.stm

_41250042_ambergris_27.jpg

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I work in a bra, I've seen alotta barf in my day, but this..................?

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
gold fish said:
I work in a bra, I've seen alotta barf in my day, but this..................?

Man! That's gotta be the coolest job in the world. I wish I worked in a bra, regardless of the pay. The benefit package more than makes of for it.

If you read the article at the link it says that the whale vomit can float around the ocean for a decade before being washed up on shore. In that time it goes from a foul smelling substance to perfume grade pukey gold. That article also states that it sell for $20/gram. The following is a reference to the largest chunk of ambergris ever found:

http://www.netstrider.com/documents/ambergris/books/
Norwegian Floating Factories, p. 356.

On December 24, 1908 a "boulder" of ambergris weighing 1003 lb., the largest ever found, was brought in by the whalers of Larvik in Norway. It sold for 23,000£ and saved the company from bankruptcy.

So, whipping out the trusty computer calculator, we find that 1003 lbs. X 454 grams to the lb. = 455,362 grams. At $20/gram that works out to $9,107,240! Not bad for stumbling around on the beach. I wonder how many people have found it without knowing what it is, and left it lying there. Or worse, kicked a chunk out of the way because their metal detector alerted to something below it.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Ok, I'm sorry, this IS a p-g site, I didn't mean to spout off about my job.

(get it,- spout-whale!!! HA!!!)

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
If you look under the photo labled AMBERGRIS FACTS with the photo of the whale it says:

Banned in US under endangered species legislation

Only in America can picking up petrified whale vomit be a crime. ??? ::)

ericwt

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
ericwt said:
If you look under the photo labled AMBERGRIS FACTS with the photo of the whale it says:

Only in America can picking up petrified whale vomit be a crime.

I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing that out. Fortunately, the Canadian and Mexican borders aren't that far away. And the chances that anyone working a border checkpoint would recognize ambergris is probably very small. I wonder why it's banned in the U.S. under endangered species laws? The process by which it is made--floating around the ocean for years, seems to preclude killing a whale and extracting it. An interesting aspect to this is that probable locations for ambergris might be something that can be researched and predicted. If whales have predictable route patterns and other habits someone could compare them to ocean currents and deduce likely locations where it might wash up on shore or be picked up in the ocean.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of such a thing! Looks like a rock to me.If it's illegal to posess in the U.S.,where would you sell it,if you did find some and illegally remove it? I doubt anyone has ever been arrested for possesing solidified whale bile.Who the hell would even be on the lookout for it? Sperm whales huh??????? Interesting.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
MiddenMonster: You might be on to something with this. I still can't figure out why it is on the endangered species list.

This seems right up my alley: In search of whale puke!

You would not have to sell it in the USA or even bring it into the country.But you are right there is a whole world out there.

ericwt

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Whale puke is ENDANGERED!!?!?!???!?!? It seem to me the whale would be done with it. That is the without a doubt one of the MOST stupid things I have ever heard, I'm goin' back to the bra!!!!

Oct 13, 2015
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ambergris has often been thought to be sperm whale puke but of late scientists agree now it comes out the OTHER END.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's barf. It smells like a wood shop. Here's a 6# piece I mounted on black walnut.

ambergris mounted 475.jpg

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondering how much whale poop and vomit are worth, and how to catch both.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer I found this big black blob. I know/thought ambergris is more pale, but I had just got there, so I buried it on the beach. marked my spot, figured I'd get it later when the day is done.

Day is done, told my friend about it, we went back to the spot and retrieved it. It was almost the size of a basketball, flattened a little. You could almost see through some of it, like obsidian. But, this thing feels rubber, so I stick a lighter to it.....
PETRIFIED TAR BALL! :BangHead: :laughing7:

Me and my friend are still laughing at me and looking for that "black ambergris" :laughing7:
Bumper sticker: "I Brake for Whale Vomit" :laughing7:
Nice specimen Frankn.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only in America can picking up petrified whale vomit be a crime. ??? ::)

ericwt
=======================================
Seriously ??
Even if it is just floating in the surf or already on the beach.
That you CANNOT pick it up?
Yeesh,,, how absurd

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Actually there was an old law banning the sale of ambergris in the USA. It was used in the manufacture of perfume. It had the property of holding a sent for a long period of time. To 'skirt' the law, manufacturers would send buyers with cash to inspect and buy it on the spot and fly it back on a private jet. There is now a synthetic chemical that they use.

FLOWERS-1 036.jpg

Last edited:

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the barfing I did drinking as a kid. I would be rich if it was worth something!

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. I am going to keep my eye out. Not that I will remove it from the beach since it is illegal. I will bury it and sell the location to someone who does want it. Would that be illegal? lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread