Best Cache Hunting Detector?

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My questions to the pros is if you had the opportunity to hunt Mexico for buried caches which metal detector is best for the job? I have heard a lot about the Sierra Madre, Whites has had this unit for sale for many years and I was wondering if its capable of finding caches 3-4 feet down? I remember reading years ago this unit was popular with Mexican nationals for searching for buried caches, any opinion is appreciated.

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am amazed no one is responding to this question...maybe cache hunting is not so popular.
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
maybe the Sierra Madre is'nt used much now a days or most folks on this thread has'nt heard of it. i have heard the name before but have never seen one unless it was in an ad. maybe someone will come along with a good opinion.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Sierra Madre was a 6000 Whites locked in the all metal mode in the powered up all metal mode. If you use the 25in head you might be able to get 3-4 feet deep on some objects. They are considered a heavy box by todays standards but little concern as to how heavy, if you are cache hunting and they are available. jmho A 2 box would do the same but if the Sierra Madre is for the right price then go for it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It is called the Sierra Madre/ULA-3 It is listed as going down 5' with the optinal 15" search coil. It has a 2 year parts and labor warrenty. Cost- $599.95 The 15" coil is extra, I don't have the price on that.
That said, I would recomend a 2 Box. You can pick up a good used 2 Box for about $250 and it will go 6' for a cache with no problem. The 2 Box will not pick up the junk like nails and bullets/cases etc. The 2 Box is completely manual, you have to practice and get use to it BEFORE you hunt with it. I use the Hays 2 Box that I picked up used for around $250. Just let me say, it has paid for itself many times over.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3,124
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3,160

Raul2110

Jan 18, 2010
Porterville, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret master hunter,gemini 11, Sierra Madre, and xlt
I have been to michoacan several time and have used the sierra madre but i prefeer the gemini 3. Cause usualy im looking for something big and over two feet deep. The sierra madre is too anoying when looking for treasure. Thats my personal opinion.

Agraz

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2010
Center Mexico
Detector(s) used
arsenal
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I want to bury many silver coins in my garden, which is the best depth pair approve the Sierra Madre, I'm interested in trying the antenna magnum 25 ", I have the Sierra Madre 2009 model.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEMINI3image.jpg A Two box detector is the way to go if you want to find large objects buried deep - Here is the Fisher Gemini III.

prairiepup

Apr 10, 2012
Nevada
Detector(s) used
ML 4500
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would suggest the MineLab 4500 or maybe 5000 with a NuggetFinder 25 inch round mono coil. Use carbon fiber shafts and find a pair of nonmetallic boots. Keep the minimum amount of metal on your person. This coil is sensitive. If you can, search in area with low EMF. But if you cannot, be prepared for some static. I have heard of folks finding a hand size piece of lead (flat side up) at 4+ feet deep. Larger things deeper. Cost of coil about $ 610. Cost of 4500 detector about $ 4500+ (depending on extra goodies you buy). Cost of new ML 5000 is more (See ML dealer), Cost of shafts about $ 150 - 200. Cost of boots about $ 115 to 175. You have to swing detector slowly.

If you are looking for "BIG" things at "WAY DOWN" say 100 feet, look at the Kellyco website. They have detectors that go for up to $ 60,000+ but supposedly go to 100 feet+. I do not know for sure since these are way out of my budget. They have others from $ 4000 up.

White says its 2 - box detector TM-808 will detect something the size of a mid-size car buried at 20 feet. I do not know this for true either having never lost a mid-size car in the dirt.

PP

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
I have a Garrett CXII with the Blood Hound depth multiplier that I bought in the mid 90s. I have located an ammo can and dutch oven lid at about 34" or ams length deep. It will not respons to small items; only the quart-sized and larger which makes for less digging. I am satisfied with it and will drive it until the wheels fall off so to speak.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..I would say...use a Garrett with the BloodHound Depth Multiplier....these units are easy to use and can also find most of the larger coils on any of the larger Classified Forums...Joe

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No there is people hunting. I just picked up a F75 Im gonna try when the weather cools down.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Our White rep said they sell a ton of the Sierra Madres for nugget hunting down in Mexico. We have a Sierra Madre and its a love hate relationship. The machine will penetrate up to 5 ft with the 15 inch coil. If you are using the 9.5 inch coil maybe 2.5 ft unless its a VW. (we use both coils) In highly mineralized soil the Sierra Madre will pop a hundred bars on hot rocks all day long. You get no discrimination at all as the power is channeled to the antenna to get the depth. However there is a significant difference in the tone on the machine between iron, aluminum etc and PM. With gold and silver you get a soft tone and a very sharp hard tone with other metals.

We buried 3.5 lbs of silver 14 inches down in our yard. We got 40 bars with the 9.5 inch coil and 50 bars with the 15 inch coil. Of course PM that has been in the ground a long time builds a stronger signature but don't be put off if you get a hit and its not banging 100.

Basically we use a one of a kind custom LRL that my fiancee' designed and had built to specs. Then we verify with a pulse induction unit or our White 808. We use the Sierra Madre to pinpoint as we dig. I would not use it to search for caches. I would use the 808 as it will go deeper and you can set it to mostly ignore mineralization. It will also give you an indication of depth. Just my opinion. Good luck.

edat

Greenie
Jul 16, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
whites 2 box lorenz pulse
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
hey guys, I am new to treasurenet but have been looking for caches a long time I say looking not finding haha. I have been using a LORENZ pulse detector. it is good but finds everything. does anyone know about using this deep seeker?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
My questions to the pros is if you had the opportunity to hunt Mexico for buried caches which metal detector is best for the job? I have heard a lot about the Sierra Madre, Whites has had this unit for sale for many years and I was wondering if its capable of finding caches 3-4 feet down? I remember reading years ago this unit was popular with Mexican nationals for searching for buried caches, any opinion is appreciated.

Relichunter1, There is a Pulse Induction unit with a 1 meter search coil that makes all of the other 2 box detectors look like a Model T Ford Compared to a Rolls Royce.
If you have a deep pockets. Around $3K. PM me and I'll tell you were you can get one of these units. When I bought mine many years ago, the company said that it would find a cannon from 40 feet away. I believe it. It's located a pile of silver over 50 feet way. :cross:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think old man is talking about Accurate locators 2000 pi unit. It fits the description. It also descriminates iron with the large coil.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Relichunter1, I hope you are not considering entering Mexico to hunt caches. Please read recent posts on Tayopa thread on
the Treasure Legends board. One gent from Tucson barely got out alive after being chased by bandits/trafficanos. Police in
Mexico cannot protect you either. Some will help the banditos instead of you. Word to the wise.

edat

Greenie
Jul 16, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
whites 2 box lorenz pulse
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
thanks guys. I enjoy my Lorenz but it finds EVERYTHING froma small wire to a wheel I burried at 6 ft. but I have been having some problems with it lately. does anyone work on them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions