Pirate Chest: When to give up

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a word to the wise wasn't enough.......

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You cant blame me this time. I tried my best to be good.

BTW I was digging all yesterday for a cache target that I know for fact is there. Its very hard to find unless you know the exact spot. Very hard very frustrating. My hole filled with water, making work near impossible. It just seeped in slowly but surely. Im not ready for pumps and heavy equipment.

We just went thru the same. Worth the effort though.

The seahag psychic gave us a spot in west Louisiana/east Texas. Its approximately 300 ounces of gold plus plus plus. It is documented in official government records.

It's to far away for us to go. We read her some historical records minus any location info and she gave a location in the correct area. She could have picked anywhere in the world but she picked the correct area. Anyone want to go for it? It's in water and probably below mud.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You cant blame me this time. I tried my best to be good.

BTW I was digging all yesterday for a cache target that I know for fact is there. Its very hard to find unless you know the exact spot. Very hard very frustrating. My hole filled with water, making work near impossible. It just seeped in slowly but surely. Im not ready for pumps and heavy equipment.

BCH why don't you try probing with a probing rod first?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried probing. My cache is in a PVC pipe and Im not able to find it with my probe but I keep poking holes and trying. There are also some rocks. I cant find it with my detector so maybe Im in the wrong spot. I have to dig 3 feet before I can get close enough with my detector but at 3 feet I was standing in muddy water..

Im just saying I realize now how hard it can be to dig a target without a signal.
If the pipe is vertical it's a smaller target yet. A rock above it and you have more work ahead of you. Keep at it. A no detector, nostalgic not of value to many others cache in my area still safe after my probing, I seen it buried and marker is gone.:BangHead: Guess I am better at hiding than recovering on that one.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
yes its vertical. The proble would probably just slide off. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
What would a modified end ,a three inch wide one inch tall just into being dull blade on end of probe do in soft/waterlogged earth?Feeling with blade edge trying for a dull tone or a bottle like squeak. Mounted inline with a tee handle a turn could be done after hitting a possible correct target to try to feel or hear more info regarding size . Would find more rocks but they should feel or sound, ummm rockish.:icon_scratch:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
With a probing rod you can tell the difference between a rock and PVC. I makes a different sound.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With a probing rod you can tell the difference between a rock and PVC. I makes a different sound.
Yes I imagine it would but I am searching a relatively large area and I dont have enough muscle to push the probe all day long. The target is too small and the soil too dense, so I decide to dig.. And then the surrounding water seeped in.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I think you may have a tough time making a case that a safe containing gold to be used for buying horses
was on either gunboat. It makes no sense that Union seamen needed horses when their job was to defend
the blockade of the Gulf of Mexico. Interesting link though.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you may have a tough time making a case that a safe containing gold to be used for buying horses
was on either gunboat. It makes no sense that Union seamen needed horses when their job was to defend

Did you search the first link for paypasters safe? It's the official naval war records stating that the paymasters safe was tossed. Who cares what the gold was to be used for? It's a paymasters safe!

TITLE: Official records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. / Series I - Volume 21: West Gulf Blockading Squadron (January 1, 1864 - December 31, 1864)
AUTHOR: United States. Naval War Records Office
PUBLISHER: Govt. Print. Off., Washington, 1906

I ordered the
destruction of all munitions of war; all muskets, pistols, revolvers,
cutlasses, percussion primers, percussion caps, boarding pikes, etc.
The paymasters safe and signal books were thrown overboard;

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

The first link, the official naval records also says:

Order of Commodore Palmer, U. S. Navy, to Acting Volunteer Lieutenant Loring, U. S.
Navy, commanding U. S. S. Wave.

U. S. NAVAL HEADQUARTERS
No. 148 Canal street, New Orleans, La., May 4,1864.
SIR: I have received your letter by the Ella Morse.
So soon as the object of the expedition has been accomplished you
will return to South West Pass with the Granite City and Wave and
report to me by telegraph.
You understand that you were sent there to assist the army in get-
ting stock
, and to pick up recruits for the Navy.
When, in your
opinion, you have accomplished these things, you will obey your
orders as instructed above.

There are so many records! The first link above is one of numerous links/records.

Others:

The Wave and Granite City received orders on April 15 to proceed to Calcasieu Pass to buy 250 head of cattle and 200 horses from Jayhawkers. The brigands had stolen the livestock from area farms. The Wave arrived on April 24 with gold for the purchase. It bombed an abandoned Confederate fort at the mouth of the river and was led to anchorage two miles upstream, opposite the home of Duncan Smith, a Union sympathizer. Smith was on board the vessel and acted as guide...

The crew jettisoned valuables, including the ship’s safe which contained gold to pay for the livestock.

Last edited:

diverdan

Jun 16, 2011
Ellenton, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chlsbrns give up. Lastleg won't believe anything until you actually bring up the safe and show him pictures of the gold.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Diverdan... Are you ever near the TX/LA border? Cameron, La?

I wish someone would find the safe!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Dan is from Dog's hometown and is a good supporter of random digging. He thinks you can't convince me.
I did read both links and saw impromptu nudges to the facts presented. Please refer me to the correct dated
official report that said the tossed safe had gold inside. The second link was insupportive of useable info.
It read like an article in treasure rags of the 1970s.

You know someone might take this seriously and get hurt in that swamp swimming around with gators and
snakes.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan is from Dog's hometown and is a good supporter of random digging. He thinks you can't convince me.
I did read both links and saw impromptu nudges to the facts presented. Please refer me to the correct dated
official report that said the tossed safe had gold inside. The second link was insupportive of useable info.
It read like an article in treasure rags of the 1970s.

You know someone might take this seriously and get hurt in that swamp swimming around with gators and
snakes.

I see what you mean diver dan. Lastleg must think peanuts are kept in a paymasters safe?

He can find the records at: Browse | Cornell University Library Making of America Collection

Its salt water.

Cars run thru stop signs and hurt/kill people. I guess LL thinks no one should drive?

If a treasure that is documented in official military records can't be taken seriously what can be taken seriously?

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
chisbrns please tell the date and sender that said gold was in the safe as I have not found it. I know the
capture of the Wave and Granite City was in early May 1864. Balls in your court.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread