THE OLD CACHE****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When I was about 10, I buried a small silk change purse that my mother had given me to use as a piggybank. This was about '47. My father use to reward me for doing good things with a silver dollar. I had accumelated $13. I buried it in the yard rock garden about 10' from the sidewalk and placed a rock on top of it. When we moved I had forgotten all about it, so there it stayed. I now live about 30 miles away. I am thinking about going back and looking for it, but I doubt it is still there. What do you think? Talk to the present land owner, night raid, etc. Frank hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

SilverorBust

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hesitate to tell the present owner that I am looking for silver dollars but I would say that I am looking for some of my old Tootsie cars, which may not be a lie at all. I would ask for permission for sure.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Well before you do I think we should discuss what split you will give the land owners. LOL

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wear a construction vest and a hard hat. If any one asks say you are checking for buried cable or property markers. You could probably find the position fairly quickly.
Haha

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this calls for a night raid. It's yours to begin with, you know where it's at, about 15 minutes in and out. I would not consider this an ethical violation. However, it is beyond me how in 1947 you would take and bury $13. That was a lot of money. Did you have a pirate fantasy goin on? Was your family pretty well off financially, and Dad never come around and asked 'By the way, where's that money I been givin you boy?'. Even in my youth in the late fifties $13 would have been a fortune to me, and nobody in my family walked around handin out silver dollars. Just go to the landowner and tell him when you was a kid you buried a kid's 'hidden treasure' and would like to get it back now. They may go for it. Go out on a limb and ask them if they ever watch that 'American Diggers' show if you want to. Good Luck.

robertwhite

Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You forgot about a small fortune for a 13 year old in 47...and now you remember it?

K

Kentucky Kache

You might try getting to know the owner before spilling your secret. You'd be able to tell if he/she was someone you could trust.
He/she would be more apt to give permission to someone they know, than to a total stranger.
If you can't trust him/her with your secret, maybe you could simply ask to metal detect the yard. No secrets revealed.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask permission. You never know, the homeowner might say yes.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, this is a tough one even for me answer :laughing7:

I see we have a bit of a dilemma here, do we go with the 50-50 split, or the 1/3 split. After all you do have to pay your alter ego something for doing all that research on that cache.:laughing7:

I just wonder if that landmark rock wasn't removed and replaced with a built-in cement pond :laughing9:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I haven't seen the property in many years. It is about 10' from a public sidewalk on the edge of a rockgarden. It is about 100' from the house. If it hasn't changed, I can just about pick up the rock it is under. I placed it under the rock after reading a pirate story and then forgot about it. My life has seen both ends both wealth and poverty. My father was worth about $10 M when this happened. I remember the silver dollars. They looked different than the ones I have now. They had a large sitting eagle on them. The way I look at this cache is I buried it with the intent of recovering it so legally it is mine. I see that the punners have jumped threads here. Guess they really never have anything good to contribute themselves. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most things in life there are 2 sides to a story there Frankn

Lost, or Mislaid Property - Here you would win, as the property is clearly yours

Abandoned Property-U.S. Law - Here you would lose, as the finder can claim you never meant to recover it.

Best check the local law about this matter....

I'd go with a 50/50 split of the coins..

At least this is one cache that you may recover, that is, if your memory serves you well :tongue3:

K

Kentucky Kache

Another thing you could do is make a map. This would start a legend with your name on it. Instant fame.:tongue3:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell the owner that you have proof that a disgruntled member of the Manhatten Project lived there in the 40s. He stole enriched uranium and when the cops were closing in he buried it in the back yard. This information came to light from a grandson that found the old scientists diary in the family papers but he held off for years because of the disgrace it would bring to the families name. Your going to use your gieiger counter to find the uranium then remove it. For the owners safety they should go into the house and close all the windows and doors. Cover all glass windows with tin foil. This should buy you enough time to find it then get the hell out of there. Also if you have access to a bee keepers suit that would really help solidify the story. Good luck

NJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more quick questions....you don't have a partner on this recovery? I can deal with another 10 page thread. Love ya

NJ

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
N.J.THer said:
Tell the owner that you have proof that a disgruntled member of the Manhatten Project lived there in the 40s. He stole enriched uranium and when the cops were closing in he buried it in the back yard. This information came to light from a grandson that found the old scientists diary in the family papers but he held off for years because of the disgrace it would bring to the families name. Your going to use your gieiger counter to find the uranium then remove it. For the owners safety they should go into the house and close all the windows and doors. Cover all glass windows with tin foil. This should buy you enough time to find it then get the hell out of there. Also if you have access to a bee keepers suit that would really help solidify the story. Good luck

NJ

You just ain't right. LOL

robertwhite

Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I look at this cache is I buried it with the intent of recovering it so legally it is mine.

Wow. OK, so you think some property you abandoned 50+ years ago is yours, the property owner will think it is his and once again due to stubborness (thick headedness) you won't get nothing but a court battle. Do you really have nothing better to do in your advanced years? No need to answer as now that you have revealed your upbringing (golden, not silver spoon), the entire picture becomes evident.

Good luck in your latest quest.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Spart, I could win on the abandened property . If I recoverer it that is the proof. I am thinking about a nite raid. I can park on the street about 13' away from it, walk over to the spot and run the vibra tector over the spot. If it is still there, I can move the rock" about football size" remove the coins and neatly replace the rock. I figure 10 min max. Hay this is not Gettysburg! hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread