OLD CACHE, FINDING METHODS ****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, what do you need to find that cache?
In reality you just need the location, that X marks the spot.
But in real life you need other things. You need to verify!
_ did the event really happen? To do this it is best to have- the name of the cachier
- the date of the event
- the place of the event
- description of the item cached
_now you have to verify the cachier lived at that time and was in that area at that time
_You have to verify that the event is on public record, like a newspaper article of the event

AND all this is just the beginning of the research. You might have to go to the area and verify it is/or was as described. You might have to interview people involved or descendants of people involved. You might have to cross check several versions of this story to confirm the actual facts.

IT gets real interesting and it's no easy street. Frank

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

In my experience, just finding out that the person lived at the time is not much in the way of confirmation. Of course, If he DIDN'T exist, then that's the end of the story, but I think that most, if not all, legends and tall tales are told about real characters. What I look for is all the supporting evidence I can find, reasons for the burying (motive), etc., and that can take many years to accumulate. And you're right, it's not easy street.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to verify is, was it recovered, all or part. Some caches were hidden and recovered at a time when there were no metal detectors or other technology for a sure recovery. Even with a metal detector, we all know how easy it is to miss something, and if its a rare coin that is missed, that could mean big bucks. Also dates of the event need not be exact, since newspapers may have gotten the story second hand, and the date was wrong. Reporters are not the most reliable people either, since their main object is a good story, so sometimes that means adding a few "facts" and leaving out a few

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day you could change your name and most people (strangers)wouldn't know. If most tales were correct they would have been found so most info is wrong in some detail. The area around "the spot" needs to be looked at from all angles. For example when hiding it,could you be seen easily,does it flood,ect.

K

Kentucky Kache

After determining the basics, such as who, what, where, etc., think of it like a criminal investigation. Your advanced research will have to do with means, motive, and opportunity. Determine if the money actually existed. Then determine if the person had good reason for hiding it. Did he have a good place to hide things, such as woods, a barn, etc., or was he in a situation that would hinder him from hiding it?
Most of your ongoing research will fall under these three things.

Also, I don't have to have 100% proof that a cache exists in order to go looking for it. I take whichever side has the most weight. Is there more evidence to the possitive, or to the negative? If you wait for 100% proof, you probably will never go cache hunting. Of course we want to be as sure as possible, but nobody leaves behind promises of their caches, unless it's to state that no one will ever find it.

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I remember vonMueller telling me that there is only about 10% truth in most cache leads. It is up to the hunter to weed out the B.S. from facts and fill in the remaining details. He also recommended doing the math to see if the lead could have actually occurred logistically. (How heavy was that gold they were running with?)

Patrick

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Patrick, that is why I like to see several versions of the same story. The things they have in common are the truths and the rest are embellishments added to candy cote the story. As far as the weight of the gold, that heavy weight is the reason it was buried and not carried away. My strike out rate is 9 out of 10 which I consider average. Frank

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

Patrick, that is why I like to see several versions of the same story. The things they have in common are the truths and the rest are embellishments added to candy cote the story. As far as the weight of the gold, that heavy weight is the reason it was buried and not carried away. My strike out rate is 9 out of 10 which I consider average. Frank

What would you say about a story that has three separate accounts of the money being seen, one account of it being carried away to be buried? And there's no trace of it after the owner's death...no will...nothing in the the personal property values of his family, and not in his bill of sale of personal property after death. Other than this, I have found GOOD reason to believe in this cache, having found certain important elements of the story to be true.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I would check out the person that buried it. Did he exist? What was his source of the money? Then I would check out the witness that saw him bury it. Did this person exist? Did he become wealthy after the death? The next step is rough. Finding the probable site. This is usually the killer. This trips the go/nogo signal. Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

Well, I would check out the person that buried it. Did he exist? What was his source of the money? Then I would check out the witness that saw him bury it. Did this person exist? Did he become wealthy after the death? The next step is rough. Finding the probable site. This is usually the killer. This trips the go/nogo signal. Frank

Oh yeah, he existed. And he had the money. I know the location, I just don't have permission to hunt. I have done extensive research on this one, and I do believe the cache was buried.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kache, Don't have permission, I know the feeling! It's like the old saying, they would" cut off their nose to spite their face."
In most cases, they can't find it themselves, but they would not consider letting you have a fair share of THEIR MONEY. Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Funny how people think they are gonna be millionaires maybe cause they got something buried on their propery. I've been told I was off in the head etc etc many times by people that didnt want me on their property. But in the end they came back to me to ask where the site was.Out of 30 cache sites I've only found 3 in the 40 + yrs cache hunting. But gold coins was their,I'm lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread