Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fenn's Treasure Cache

Only saw like 2 threads on this guy and thought I would post a link to a newsweek article that comes out this coming week.
If I lived in Santa Fe I'd go out for a gander... Why not? Can't find it if you don't try.

Forrest Fenn Wants You to Find His Treasure

What would I do? Kind of morbid, but if he REALLY was going to also be buried with his cache I would wait for him to croak and follow his body... Lead you right to the treasure :icon_thumright: Judging by his ego; I'm sure he isn't bluffing. I'm willing to bet it is out there somewhere.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to Cache Hunting forum....

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I haven't figured out about this is where could you realistically hide something north of Santa Fe in order for the finder to have ownership.

Most of the area is national park land. If you left something there it would legally be abandoned property and owned by the feds.

If it is private property then you would have to trespass to find and it would legally be owned by the landowner.

It would seem to have to be on property he owns in order for someone to make a legal claim to the box of goodies (though apparently the artifacts may be subject to FBI scrutiny). And he is putting his bones with it. Now, how many acres could he own?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think in the end it is probably in the national forest. This guy didn't really seem to "mind" (or care) about the law and any of the gray areas of digging. So I would assume he would want someone with the same thought process to find it. It said in the article the Mountain Range its hidden in, but forgot the name.
In the article it talked about him saying something like: "The law says it is unlawful to take artifacts and disturbed DISCOVERED human remains." He goes on to say: "I found a bone, what its a bone too I don't know; so I didn't DISCOVER anything unlawful."

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started a thread in "Treasure in the News". The treasure is in the Rocky Mountains somewhere "North of Santa Fe". He's a cagy sum*****. I've spent most of 2012 studying and interpreting the poem, and communicating with the guy. You can almost get more out of what he DOESN'T say, as much as he does.

Most of us "Fenners" think it's in national Park area. It's NOT buried. he's said that to me. But you aren't gonna stumble on it, either. Forrest cares about the law, it's the apparent "get him at any cost" he's come to despise that the FBI has developed for him. All artifacts he's excavated have been on his own land.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only saw like 2 threads on this guy and thought I would post a link to a newsweek article that comes out this coming week.
If I lived in Santa Fe I'd go out for a gander... Why not? Can't find it if you don't try.

Forrest Fenn Wants You to Find His Treasure

What would I do? Kind of morbid, but if he REALLY was going to also be buried with his cache I would wait for him to croak and follow his body... Lead you right to the treasure :icon_thumright: Judging by his ego; I'm sure he isn't bluffing. I'm willing to bet it is out there somewhere.
He doesn't go back to the site. Ever. He is the ONLY human who knows where it is. he has some form of "security" clause in place, wherein if he dies suspiciously, it will be retrieved and never found. He's brilliant.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in the end it is probably in the national forest. This guy didn't really seem to "mind" (or care) about the law and any of the gray areas of digging.

So the insinuation is that if you find it you break the law and steal it from the feds so that you are in the same boat as him? I know that a lot of people have the attitude of "finders keepers" and wouldn't even report it to the IRS. But not all ascribe to that philosophy.

Maybe that's been his plan all along. Get someone to find it and have to look over their shoulder all their life.8-)

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the insinuation is that if you find it you break the law and steal it from the feds so that you are in the same boat as him? I know that a lot of people have the attitude of "finders keepers" and wouldn't even report it to the IRS. But not all ascribe to that philosophy.

Maybe that's been his plan all along. Get someone to find it and have to look over their shoulder all their life.8-)
At his dinner table, he abruptly changed whatever subject he was on and asked us..."So, how do you guys plan on avoiding the IRS?' It was weird and funny at the same time. We said, "we're 40 years old, we don't". There's a "hidden" part of Forrest's history that the reporter wanted to get into. How...in the 60's and 70's did Forrest go from having 20 odd grand to dealing with Robert Redford in a matter of a few years. he's got an entire biography typed in this chest, maybe that explains it. I hope so. he's also open about selling Elmy De Hory forgeries, and (to paraphrase) say "If you love a painting, but after seeing the name at the bottom of the painting, love it significantly less..well then, who is the phony?" He is an odd, but captivating guy.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess my point is that in one breath he seems bold and willing to break the hell out of laws, but in the same breath he appreciates some form of civility and legal disclosure. Enigmatic, to be sure.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At his dinner table, he abruptly changed whatever subject he was on and asked us..."So, how do you guys plan on avoiding the IRS?' It was weird and funny at the same time. We said, "we're 40 years old, we don't". There's a "hidden" part of Forrest's history that the reporter wanted to get into. How...in the 60's and 70's did Forrest go from having 20 odd grand to dealing with Robert Redford in a matter of a few years. he's got an entire biography typed in this chest, maybe that explains it. I hope so. he's also open about selling Elmy De Hory forgeries, and (to paraphrase) say "If you love a painting, but after seeing the name at the bottom of the painting, love it significantly less..well then, who is the phony?" He is an odd, but captivating guy.

I'll take that as a Yes.

Good luck on your hunt.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to have a beer with this guy :occasion14:

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful clicking on the link in the post above. While the first 4 pages were a good read....the fifth page was rejected by my anti-virus program and the url shown indicates an address originating in Russia.

The Danno

Apr 30, 2013
Spring, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheMarkd, I wish i had conferred with you sooner. You look to be the resident expert. Clearly Forrest's inbox is full. I am sure he gets tired of answering the emails, which is most likely why he did not reply to me. But, when I was in Santa Fe, I wanted to visit his gallery. The poblem was I couldn't find it online, nor did the couple of gallery owners on Canyon Rd appear to eager to talk about it when asked. You must be a very fortunate guy.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheMarkd, I wish i had conferred with you sooner. You look to be the resident expert. Clearly Forrest's inbox is full. I am sure he gets tired of answering the emails, which is most likely why he did not reply to me. But, when I was in Santa Fe, I wanted to visit his gallery. The poblem was I couldn't find it online, nor did the couple of gallery owners on Canyon Rd appear to eager to talk about it when asked. You must be a very fortunate guy.

I am certainly no expert. Experts find treasure. :) We were lucky enough to get "in" before the media onslaught. Caught a couple breaks, but remain just as treasure less as everyone else.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My rudimentary understanding is that there is jealousy in the art gallery circles in Santa fe. Forrest openly sold Elmyr d Hory forgeries with the caveat going something like "if you have to look at the artist's name to decide if you like it...who's the fake?". Plus, he made piles of money. May have rubbed some the wrong way.

The Danno

Apr 30, 2013
Spring, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My rudimentary understanding is that there is jealousy in the art gallery circles in Santa fe. Forrest openly sold Elmyr d Hory forgeries with the caveat going something like "if you have to look at the artist's name to decide if you like it...who's the fake?". Plus, he made piles of money. May have rubbed some the wrong way.

Hahaaa doesn't ruffle my feathers though. After reading his book, I know the man has a very unique perspective when it comes to enjoying art. I tend to agree with a lot of his unique perspectives though.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaaa doesn't ruffle my feathers though. After reading his book, I know the man has a very unique perspective when it comes to enjoying art. I tend to agree with a lot of his unique perspectives though.

I appreciate his candor and willingness to tell authority to pound sand. He certainly has his own drummer AND backup singers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions