Gold Washington Dollar cache: clue inquiry

tommyl

Greenie
Nov 18, 2005
In 1799, a 2 million dollar horde of Gold dollars was stolen from revolutionary war troops in East Granby CT, by a group of Torie sympathizers and hidden within a mile or two of the Inn where it was stolen. Reports say it was never found although over the past forty years several dollars have been found near streams known as the Salmon Brook. I have done quite a bit of research here and am confident that the story is real and the horde still exists unfound. Looking at old maps I have narrowed the search to a few areas. For all the experts out there, I would like your opinion on the following:

If the horde was in wooden boxes or casks and was transported by wagon in a hurry, and if you knew there would be a wide search, what likely spots would you hide it?

Note: the wagon was found approx. a half mile away from the Inn in a field the next morning. The community had dirt roads north and south main streets (level), east and west roads (hilly) basically. Several river branches abound, a few ponds, several farms. An old prison still exists 1 mile away from that time period and lots of wooded areas.

I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts and see how everyone's mind works creatively. Thanks tom

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY ;

First off "GOLD" Dollars ?
from what Country ?

1n 1799.

I do not believe any Gold Dollars Existed.

there were $2.50's But by 1799 There were only a Few Thousand in Existance.

there were $5.00 Gold Coins but again No where near a Million by 1799

there were maby a Million $10.00 Pieces by 1799

I am going by a Quick Scan of the Red Book.

Could they Mean $2,000,000.00 value today in Gold Coins ?

I'm NOT Trying to Discourage you, I'm Just Confused.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v got $2,500,000.00 in Gold coins.

"Bates Tavern" Treasure. But no Details

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
1799 2mil in gold. Don't think so. You could buy Alaska with the NW territories thrown in for that much.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
elkman13 said:
1799 2mil in gold. Don't think so. You could buy Alaska with the NW territories thrown in for that much.

Gold Coins Borrowed from France

Not U.S. this was the Difference.

Still The Value need more Research.

OP
OP
T

tommyl

Greenie
Nov 18, 2005
Great comments thus far. According to an article rom Lost treasure, Gen George Washington stated that the lost Gold coins were French and were borrowed to support the plight of the colonials and GW. The war officially ended in 1781 but was offically over in 1783.

Not much fighting in CT, but the gold was being transported thru CT., probably from Boston area south to Valley Forge or Philadelphia.

Questions and comments actually stimulate more research which provide additional leads. This is great stuff. When I was a kid I remember going to a museum in east Granby CT and I saw a hand written letter from a rev. war soldier that mentioned something to the effect that he didn't get paid as the payroll was stolen. A fierce battle ensued, many were killed or wounded and he was upset. Not sure if it was related but quite a coincidence.

Also, the French were very supportive of the colonists and were against the British. Don't know what a French gold coin would look like from back then. Tom

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
The things you read in Lost Treasure nice to read but very little truth. I have spent a lot of time in Historical records out here in the west on some of their stories. All so far have proved to be junk journalism. It's a laugh to see how such stories get printed. I guess for a buck you can write and get anything printed.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
elkman13 said:
The things you read in Lost Treasure nice to read but very little truth. I have spent a lot of time in Historical records out here in the west on some of their stories. All so far have proved to be junk journalism. It's a laugh to see how such stories get printed. I guess for a buck you can write and get anything printed.

Although I wouldn't Sell the Kids, to Fund a search on a story.
I would Trade them in on a truck to Haul the Treasure
if I found it.

I do Believe Most of the stories you read in there, can be Cross
Referenced to a story handed down. and Most of them have some
truth they are based from.

If you Don't at least Research them.

you may as well Not buy a Lottery Ticket &
still sit back and wait to win it.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

If geologic quads for that area exist, check them out for fault cracks/crevices or limestone pits/caves/quarries. It's a whole lot easier to drop something heavy and recover it later, than to take the time to bury it! So what if you lose a few coins? You have 2 million dollars worth just lying around! Also, I would check to see how many wells existed in the area. It's easy to cover one over!

Cavers5

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
There's good evidence that this robbery took place. However what I find strange is that an investigation wasn't put to paper someplace? And statements of the guards taken. What did the guards do ? Just walk away? This must have been the talk of the town! If so don't you think there would be a report in all the newspapers of the time? I think you should look for one. With this much money involved there'd almost have to be. Plus on the surface it looks to be an inside job? All planned in advance? Everything went to smooth. Likely the coin was placed down Mr. Bates well and the wagons taken a short distance away. Check out Bates as to what happened with him after the war? If he died soon after the war, he may have not told his family and the loot may still be in the well? I think if it was me looking I'd have to do some solid research before I ever took to the field. ---- Keep us posted, O.K.

double barrel

Jul 11, 2006
i don't follow many but this one i do. what's my share for these hints? not greedy or anything,but they're close to the surface. would like to take a trip up there and help hunt.

T

TreasureTales

Excuuuuse me, but I take umbrage with those who stated that 100% of the stories in Lost Treasure (and other magazines in that genre) are lies. I have written several articles for LT and W&E Treasures, and not one of them was a lie. In fact, for LT, you must list your reference material. Every article I wrote for that magazine had references, plus they were based on my own personal research in the field. Please do not lump everyone together and consider all such stories LIES, they are NOT.

As for this legend, I think there is some truth to it, but like everything else that is passed down through the decades (or even yesterday's news for that matter) it gets changed and convoluted. I'd try to determine which streams run through the area and compare today's maps with maps of the period to see how much the stream beds have changed. I'd also try using something like GoogleEarth to look for streambeds that are dried up. Then I'd check those old stream beds for depressions or some other weird anomaly. Hiding all those gold coins would have been hard, heavy work. If they were in a hurry (and who wouldn't be when stealing that much gold), they would have done what was easiest yet would still render the boxes "invisible." Throwing them into the deepest hole on the creek seems logical, and could account for them washing out centuries later. Good luck with the pursuit for more info on this cache. I hope you'll keep us informed on your progress.
---------------------------
Very quickly I did an internet search for East Granby Historical Society and got a result. Have you contacted them? The FIRST place to start with any serious investigation is to do the RESEARCH. And usually the first place to do research is at an historical society. So, please, do the research yourself FIRST before you ask others to help you with something. After you've got as much info gathered as possible, then it makes sense to ask for additional ideas or "clues." Research is seldom the big pain most people expect. Most of the research has already been done on events, places, people, and things. Which means it is relatively simple to contact an historical society, museum, library, or county courthouse and ask some questions. The internet makes doing research so easy. A computer is the best research tool available. And we ALL have one, or access to one.

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Yes I know. The references are usually from some other magazine that was published years earlier. Junk journalism begets junk journalism. I have a bridge out back I would like to sell you. It’s worth millions of dollars. You and I have just read it’s worth a lot of money so it must be true... ;D

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
notice how virtually noone actually answered his question.

i know how about answering his question instead of poking holes in his treasure tale.

and as im not very expierenced i would say what if they pre dug the hole prior to the robbery and then is wouldnt take very long to fill it in.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether true or not, one BIG thing stands out in my mind:

Since none of the robbers were caught, why do you think there is a chance in hades that anything is still hidden? If the story went like most stolen loot stories, where the bad guys steal the gold, then flee. Then a group is formed, and gives chase. They track them down 10 miles away, and a big gunfight ensues.. At the end, all the bad guys are dead, and there is no treasure to be found.

Without an ending like that, you HAVE to assume that some of the robbers, or some of their relatives dug up the coins at some later date. I doubt there's anything left. Maybe some caskets were broken, and loose coins fell out, and may still be there, but I would do some more research to see if any families became wealthy after the war in that area.

There is ONE plausible explanation though, after the Revolution, those that sided with the British were sent away with the British. They might not have had the chance to take something like that with them. Who knows.

best,

Mike

OP
OP
T

tommyl

Greenie
Nov 18, 2005
Lots of great comments and some skepticism which is always the case and needs to be. but thank you all anyway. Additional research i have recently done includes finding the actual property where the heist was supposed to take place. It was easy to find. I have lots more to do however, in terms of the research. Then pick four or five sites check them out visually, detect a little, continue to research.

Lots of times the answer is common sense. Little things that we miss. For instance, in this case the thieves had to be locals. Either inside job or those that frequented the Inn owned by Capt Lemuel Bates. The population was probably not that high in 1779. Another common sense thing is that people didn't and don't just go into the woods unless they were hunting, out walking or basically knew a place that they just like to be, especially in those days. So where did they go? Areas near ponds and streams...areas where they could get a wagon thru, areas where they felt chests could be hidden without common sight. As is always the case, was someone alive to go back to get it? Lots of fear to go back soon...families?? all possibilities.. I personnally feel at this point there is a strong case that this did occur and the booty is buried and someday will be found. Hopefully, someday soon I will find an actual historical document to the affect that this story is real.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can the "dollars" Supposedly Found over the years be Traced
to France ?

IF yes. odds are they were hidden up stream & floods over the last 200 years have Dislodged some.

I'd start at the Very top, and follow the stream downhill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread