Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Pirate Treasure-Civil War Cooking Pots Full of Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    GA
    White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
    58 times
    Cache Hunting
    Well you may well have found something. Having dug a lot of very large holes I would highly recommend that you obtain or find somebody that has a really good LRL and make sure of what you have. Then back it up with GPR. Bob Hewitt has both and he is very reputable. He's not cheap but if you have anything he will find it and tell you how deep it is. He has a website.

We only cache hunt so I am always a cheerleader for anybody with a possible find but if you need pumps to keep the water out how did the pirates bury the treasure? I don't think they had pumps back then.

The only other thing I can tell you is that Mel Fisher didn't find the Atocha with a dowser. He dragged magtometers all over the ocean for years until he finally found it. That being said if you already have had other MD equipment indicate a target then go back to my first paragraph and good luck. I hope you dig up a million dollars.

us
    Adventurer

Mar 2012
    Parrish Florida
    Garrett GTI 2500 W/treasure hound Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 L-Rods Remote Sensors Map dowsers Various LRL's Nokta Golden King Vibra Probe
    353 times
    Cache Hunting
    Dixiegal-Thanks for the advice and support. I usually don't seem to get a lot of that on TN. As far as really good LRL's go the majority of people on here don't seem to think they even work. I am completely convinced that they can and do work. I rode with a guy down to Englewood. I sat in the backseat of his car. I watched his hybrid LRL unit lead him to the exact spot at the pirate site that others have pinpointed. I took another group that had two $30,000 LRL units that also led them to the same spot. It is only about 50 feet from a saltwater bay. This was recently. I have been told that GPR does not work well if something is below the water table. In a lot of places the water table is only a few feet down.

When you dig a quick hole to bury something you may not have to deal with water. When someone tries to do a dig years later there may be more of a problem with the water. Heavy metals such as gold and silver do have a tendency to sink down here in Florida. This is a known fact. I have dug twice on this site and believe me it is not easy.

As far as how Mel Fisher located sunken treasure goes, he was known to use dowsers, psychics, or any method that he thought might work. Ovid Arnold of North Carolina went out with one of his crews and put them on silver near Ft.Pierce and gold in the Keys. There was never a written contract and Ovid got nothing from it. That is what happened. Ovid dealt with it and moved on. He died 20 years ago. I have known of this for 25 years and got the story reconfirmed months ago. It all does not matter now. The only thing that matters to me is that I took Ovid to dozens of land sites before he died. I chose to put my efforts into trying to dig up a chest in Englewood Florida and did not know how to deal with the water intrusion which caused the hole to keep caving in. If I try again I hope to have better luck.

As far as pirates and pumps go, there have been pumps for centuries. Have you ever heard of the supposed treasure at Oak Island. It is close to 200 feet down right near the ocean. They had to have an elaborate pumping system to accomplish what they did.
    Last edited by Bigdogdad; Sep 28, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    You can lead a man to treasure but you can't make him dig.
    There is such a thing as a stupid question.
    Common sense is no longer common.
    Facts are cheap, knowledge is priceless.
    While the dog's away, the rats will play.
    If you keep teasing the dog, your liable to get bit.
    Tonight is the night.

us
    Sep 2007
    46 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dowsers can find almost anything you want, including treasures.
    mrdetector likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    GA
    58 times
    Cache Hunting
    Well if you really have a target you can use 12 ft in diameter round concrete pipes used for water transfer that have a seal between each one. Then you have to make a pressure vessel over the top of it and pressurize the pipe so that it will not allow water in. Then all parties working at the bottom of the hole need to be wearing mixed gas respirators. You will also need a decompression chamber in case of an emergency. This would be just like offshore drilling rigs that use deep divers. Its going to cost a fortune to do it but its been used to do subways, long distance water lines. It works.

I'm originally from Fla. I don't see how you would be able to pump fast enough to keep a hole below the water line clear. But hey you can try it. We have tried a lot of stuff ourselves. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Hope you figure something out.

We have the equipment to do a site survey for gold and silver. If we lived in Fl we would ride over there and do a survey for you but its too far for us.

us
    Adventurer

Mar 2012
    Parrish Florida
    Garrett GTI 2500 W/treasure hound Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 L-Rods Remote Sensors Map dowsers Various LRL's Nokta Golden King Vibra Probe
    353 times
    Cache Hunting
    Sounds pretty involved ($$$$$$). The first time I tried digging for the chests I used a backhoe and made a big mess. The second time we built an 8 foot diameter concrete block well. I would climb into it and dig around the bottom which caused it to sink. We had sunk pvc pipes around it hooked to a pump to help keep the water out. It ended up getting caught on something left from the previous dig and got to the point it would not sink. I was even scuba divivg in the bottom with a suction hose trying to get to the chest. It was all a little crazy. This happened 20 years ago.

Dixiegal- Come on down. I have permission to try again. Bring your equipment. I have reason to believe there are multiple chests at this site. We could have a treasure digging hoe-down. Maybe old man will come too. lastleg and vor-come on down your the next contestants on the dowser is right.
    Last edited by Bigdogdad; Sep 29, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Tonight is the night.

vor

Jun 2012
    393 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Set it up.

Feb 2008
    210 times
    Well there goes another "treasure" up in smoke. Sorry BDD. Thanks for the invite but my caches are all west of the
    Sunshine State.

us
    Adventurer

Mar 2012
    Parrish Florida
    353 times
    Cache Hunting
    lastleg-You lost me on the up in smoke comment. Please explain.
    Tonight is the night.

us
    Jul 2012
    GA
    58 times
    Cache Hunting
    Well I think the thing you tried with the concrete well is similar to what I suggested. If you had been able to put the pressuried vessel over the top of it then it would have kept the water from coming in and it would have sunk as you dug. I think this is going to be a very difficult endeavor. We have had to walk away from a few that were just too hard to get to. We have 5 sites of our own that we are working in our area. I hope you figure something out. Maybe talk to an engineer if you know of somebody.

us
    Adventurer

Mar 2012
    Parrish Florida
    353 times
    Cache Hunting
    We were able to deal with the water and the well shaft was sinking nicely. It got to a certain depth and would sink no more. We tried everything we could think of. At one point we had two V-8 powered compressors trying to suck the dirt from the inside rim and the other to blow an air/water mixture from the outside of the shaft at the bottom. It wouldn't budge. I dove down to the bottom and dug with my hands around the bottom of the well footer. It was hung up on a 4 inch mud hog hose that got left in the hole from the first dig. I cut it out with a knife but by this time the well shaft was kind of sanded into place. Hurricane Andrew came through the next day and the following week the county made us fill it in because it was in a septic drain field. At least I tried.

The septic field is no longer in use and I have recieved new information about this site that leads me to believe there may be up to four or five different treasure spots. The same people that owned it back when we dug still own it. They believe in the treasure and want me to dig it up.
    Tonight is the night.

us
    Jul 2012
    GA
    58 times
    Cache Hunting
    Personally if it was us we would survey that whole property and see if any of the other targets were easier to get to. Sometimes you just have to get the ones you can get and leave a few behind.

us
    Adventurer

Mar 2012
    Parrish Florida
    353 times
    Cache Hunting
    I'm a little short on the survey equipment. Even if I rented/borrowed it I don't really know how to use it and that is the key. The supposed/proposed targets are within a 100' X 150' area. Three dowsers, two element detectors, and one hybrid element/LRL detector all said the same spot on one of the targets. I do not want to start a dig unless we can pinpoint the depth and the EXACT spot to dig. Although Florida is mostly sandy, easy to dig soil, water is almost always the problem.

The North Carolina dig is mostly red clay/dirt and water intrusion is not an issue. The problem on three of the possible pots was trees and tree roots. The other possible pot was an easy dig but because of rain and other problems that day, we stopped. One of the people involved was being very difficult to deal with and we thought it would be best to postpone the dig for a week. Something unforseen happened and it has taken two years to get back to where we are now about ready to try again. I believe I know the exact spot on one pot but would like to use electronics to pinpoint the other three.
    Tonight is the night.

ECS
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    319 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdogdad View Post
    1. Anyone reading this needs to understand that ECS and I have gone back and forth about this on numerous threads and forums. I can assume that he gets all his "facts" from things he reads written by others. 2. ECS thinks he knows for a fact exactly how much gold was in the Confederacy he is a little on the naive side. 3. As the armies on both sides of the Civil War plundered the south, vast sums of gold, silver and jewels were bound to have been taken from the rich land owners of the plantations, business owners, and anyone else that got in the way of these "soldiers". As with all things there are records to a certain extent.

4. ECS- Keep up the research but don't think for a second that you will change my mind about anything.
    1. Where do you,BDD get your facts and knowledge of buried treasure if not from books?How do you know that the 20 pots of gold event actually happened?
    2. The records of the CSA Treasury exist to this day and can be researched.
    3. Yes,plantation owners buried their money and looting was common during the War of Northern Aggression,and there would be no records of these events, and may still be in the ground waiting to be found,but...the 20 iron pots of gold is an alleged CSA military operation which would have documentation.On the other NC pot of gold thread,there are three examples of documented lost gold accounts,and the flight and capture of the CSA Treasury from Richmond is well documented.
    4. I am not trying to change you mind,just providing a historical factual context to your claims for events that actually happened and others that are only lore or legends.

us
    Adventurer

Mar 2012
    Parrish Florida
    353 times
    Cache Hunting
    ECS-I don't know for a FACT that the pots of gold story is completely true. I do believe my old pal Ovid could find gold. This was the last location that I took him to right before he died. Maybe I am wasting my time, but that is my problem not yours.

Although you seem to be very good at finding information and cut and pasting, I don't think you really read and understand all that you post. I will give you a few examples.

On post #51 of the NC Pot of gold thread, the post seems to confirm the existence of these pots and that some of them seem to have been found. He also wants you to read between the lines as he is obviously not giving out all the information that he has. I would think that most people reading this post (which you reposted just for me) would come away thinking there is possibly some truth to this story.

You have repeatedly referred to some pots coming from Mississipi. I believe you have confused the facts as you have done in the past. The story goes that the pots were hidden by Company C of the Fourth Mississipi unit. The story goes that they were stationed in Richmond Virginia in the fall of 1864 when the pots were shipped out and buried. In other words the guys doing the burying were from Mississipi but the pots were from Richmond. I do not know if you have read W.C. Jameson's account of this story but he lists a lot of names and details. Is it possible that he made it all up? I really couldn't tell you it is all exactly as history happened.

As far as point #3, Jameson's account seems to be from some sort of documentation. Where did he get his "facts"? Couldn't tell you.

As far as lore goes, by definition there is nothing about the term that implies it is not true. As far as the definition of a legend, it is a story that is thought to be historical, again nothing that implies it is not true. I will stick to my legends and lore, thank you.

You seem to think you are finding facts that back up what you want to hear. So far everytime you have tried to make me look like I don't know what I am talking about, I seem to prove you wrong. Why do you feel the need to try to talk me out of treasure hunting?
    Tonight is the night.

ECS
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    319 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    You seem to have the misconception,BDD,that I am trying to prove you wrong or talk you out of treasure hunting.If that were the case,why would I have posted # 51 on the other thread? You always take umbrage when facts or comments do not agree with your perception of things.
    The Richmond version,in my opinion,on the 20 pots,seems to have been morphed from the Dannville Confederate treasure & baggage train event that happened.
    The Mississippi as the origin of the shipment is another version.
    This tale does have several other variations,like so many treasure stories.They ALL can not be TRUE!
    Diaries and journals from the Civil War period do provide a great source of information.
    This Week in Georgia Civil War History has a Georgia belle's diary account of the Washington ,Ga Confederate treasury event.Pay attention to the May 24,25,26 entries.
    An overview of the CSA treasury flight and amounts:
    The Search for Lost Confederate Gold
    Another concerning the stopover in Charlotte,NC
    Charlotte: Last Capital of the Confederacy
    Detailed Civil War RR maps can found at THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS-Geography and Map Division-Entries 137-143.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors