Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 55 gallon drum of silver dollars

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    629 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by vor
    Stock
    What do you think about shorting CRM right now? Sure has shot up lately with just so-so earning.
    v
    Stock always seems to be overvalued and there are questions surrounding their accounting. That being said, they have a great dominant product. I worked for a market neutral hedge fund for a few years. Shorting is very very tough. One thing I learned was never short a stock just because you think it's overvalued. The expensive tends to get more expensive. Think of all the folks who have thought aapl or goog had too much of a run only to see it double triple or more. I think to short a stock was a high degree of success you need to identify a very specific event/catalyst that will make the stock go go. IE - they will miss the next quarter, product will fail, very major change in competitive landscape, accounting fraud (like all the Chinese companies), etc. without a known catalyst your butt is just hanging out in the wind and you are fighting the tide of a rising market. Never forget that almost everyone wants a stock to go up - the company, shareholders, workers, even the government - so you are playing against the odds. We would not try and call the top, wait for the bloom to come off the rose and the stock to start rolling over and then short. You leave a little on the table but at least you have some momentum on your side if people think its a broken stock.

A long winded question to a short question. But like all stock analysts ( and politicians) I know how to talk a lot and sound smart without answering your question!!

Best of luck to all.

Eric
    truckinbutch and Frankn like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Swingy Thingy

Nov 2010
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    FisherF75 ,Garret Propointer ,Vivitar HD Cam, Lesche Digger.Only the best of the best Sir!
    712 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Normally Frankn is correct. But people did not trust banks. We are talking coins being saved for 40 years or more. How fast does your penny jar fill up?

Feb 2008
    226 times
    Frankn and Franklin are two different posters. You need to read it all. The Dog is doing what he does. He was strangely silent
    after attending the benefit. Makes me wonder what really went down after the buildup and enthusiasm just prior. If one is
    consistent with their comments it makes for interesting dialogue. But hey, he's the Dog, it's all good.

us
    Aug 2012
    MA
    629 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    40 years, anything is possible. I'd take a couple old paint can full of silver dollars. Best of luck in your hunt.

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    Hello Dover
    Are you referring to the spot between the pool and cabana that I dowsed? It was my first dowse and the spot was confirmed using hi-tech infrared thermal imagery.

BDD's dowse was by Ovid. Ovid dowsed the gold pile for Fisher from the Atocha (or so I have read).

V
    I was actually referring to the dowser whom nickmarch said had a 100% accuracy rate.

us
    Mar 2012
    332 times
    Cache Hunting
    lastleg-I went to the benefit barbecue to help a TN member in need. Ask anyone that was there how much I helped out in many different ways. Only one LRL person showed and we decided it was best that his equipment stayed out of the limelight. I went there hoping to be able to dig but as soon as I talked to the manager and her husband I was informed that there would be no digging for treasure. I did talk them into letting me set up an area for the kid's hunt which I did. The kids had a great time. The only person who would have dowsed was Del Winders and he was feeling under the weather. No serious metal detector guys asked me about anything.

I did have one of the guys check a couple of the photo dowsed spots with his pulsestar and it read for metal. I do feel that there is treasure there and will eventually try to get permission to dig it up. I met many interesting people there. One guy used to work with Mel Fisher and remembered an old man dowser that dowsed for Mel. I stood side by side with Taffi Fisher as we helped with the auction. I went to the beach twice while I was there and detected.

The truth is I went with a new friend and we got to know each other very well and plan to go for the treasures. When I got back I debated about even spending anymore time posting on TN as I felt I had accomplished what I set out to do. I read the posts morning and night. Yes, I did not post any. I had nothing I wanted to say. As you can see I have had no trouble making up for lost time and will be glad to respond to any and all of your comments.

Feb 2008
    226 times
    Thanks Dog. I was a little concerned how you might be treated among seasoned wreckdivers. I imagine the LRL guys who didn't
    show were more intimidated than you. That is understandible considering real divers have equipment that really works.

Aug 2012
    1 times
    Nice finds :icon_scratch

us
    Mar 2012
    332 times
    Cache Hunting
    lastleg-I don't get intimidated by anyone. When I told my LRL guy that we could not dig he was not interested in bringing out his equipment. He is not wanting to share it anyway. Since you are concerned about my treatment by the seasoned wreckdivers that I met why don't you ask any one of them what they thought of me and then post it on here. Would you like a list of some of them?

trol-?

us
    Sep 2007
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lastleg View Post
    Frankn and Franklin are two different posters. You need to read it all. The Dog is doing what he does. He was strangely silent
    after attending the benefit. Makes me wonder what really went down after the buildup and enthusiasm just prior. If one is
    consistent with their comments it makes for interesting dialogue. But hey, he's the Dog, it's all good.
    Thank you for your above information. You and Dog are good men and good friends, who I trust searching for treasures. Good luck.

us
    May 2012
    PA
    Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
    117 times
    Metal Detecting
    Dumb question: what is a DOWSER?

vor

Jun 2012
    385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dougofpa View Post
    Dumb question: what is a DOWSER?
    Dumb answer: I heard that it is a member of a mystical society that relies heavily on dart throwing and luck to find the location of previously found/recovered items, often treasure.

V

Merry Christmas to you BDD
    Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not: Jeremiah 5:21

us
    Mar 2012
    332 times
    Cache Hunting
    dougofpa-There is a dowsing forum on T-Net. Go through it and read the posts. Ask your questions about dowsing on that forum. There are many non-believers on the other forums. I am assuming they don't believe in it for one or more of the following reasons. They were told not to believe it. They tried it and it did not work for them. They tested many dowsers and none of them could prove they could dowse and find things. They don't believe in much of anything. If they had seen dowsing work as I have maybe they would believe it. The odds are though that if someone dowsed something for them right before their eyes thay would still deny it and just call it luck or coincidence.

Feb 2008
    226 times
    Dog, your statement would be more credible if you showed a valuable object found only by dowsing. Otherwise it is not factual.
    Now I'm not saying underground water can't be dowsed. There is ample evidence of that. You would think by now someone, anyone
    would prove they could find PMs or buried caches of silver or gold and silence the critics. Is that too much to ask ? ? ?

us
    Mar 2012
    332 times
    Cache Hunting
    lastleg-Do you believe that you can find buried water pipes? How about phone lines? Power lines? If I or anybody else that claims they can dowse came to your house and could show you exactly where any of these were buried and do it with consistency, would you then believe it. As far as finding valuable objects, a metal detector works but how often does it find valuable objects as compared to finding junk? Junk is easy to find, gold, silver and diamonds is a lot harder no matter what method you use.

I have a location that is in someones yard. I had two different guys dowse seperate photos and both pinpointed the same spot for buried gold. This was twenty years ago. I found out some dowsers had approached the property owner years before as they felt there was gold in the yard in the same location as my dowsers. The dowsers were allowed to dig and found nothing. It was on the edge of a pond in the water. The homeowner spent some time looking and found some gold coins exactly where the dowsers said it was. Years later the pond was filled in.

I recently found out that the great-grandfather had found a pirate chest in a field. He became a very wealthy and successful businessman. Last week I took a couple of guys that I met through T-Net to this site. They had two different devices with them. One was a non-electric LRL and the other was a "crazy rod". The crazy rod is a modern day version of a forked stick used for dowsing.

I did not tell them the location of where the coins had been found. Both the LRL and the "crazy rod" led them to the EXACT spot where the gold coins had been found. They used their metal detector and it gave a reading for gold. The homeowner was not ready for us to dig that day. I have since met with him and we have an agreement to dig after the first of the year. I will post on a seperate thread what happens. I am going to give half of my share to these two guys. They are a father and son and T-Net members.

So here we have a situation where the same spot was located by four different groups of dowsers. I mean the EXACT same spot. So if we find gold would you all then believe in dowsing? Of course you won't. The non-believers will always be non-beleivers. Even if it were done right before your very eyes you would still deny it. I feel sorry for all of you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors