old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the part about the freighters seems somewhat consistent in that the Bozeman trail crosses both the Big Horn and the Little Horn rivers. I don't think that a steamer would be able to travel up the Little Horn at this time of the year unless there was a late snow runoff from the Bighorn Mts.
And where the Bozeman Trail crosses the Big Horn river is at least 20 more miles southwest (upstream) from the mouth of the Little Horn river.
Not sure, but maybe they headed east of the Bozeman Trail towards Bismarck?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Better yet hit the site of the rosebud fight if it isnt protected which it most likely is.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of any documentation about this story? It seems pretty far fetched but I live very near this area figured a little research couldn't hurt. I think starting with the log book of the Far West steamer would the best place to begin. But I don't even know where to look for that or if a log book even exists. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Do your best, and keep researching. Good luck and show pictures.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible that Marsh may have anchored at the mouth of Ninemile Creek, and not at the mouth of the Little Horn. If he anchored at the mouth of the Little Horn I would think that he would have anchored right next to the large Sioux and Cheyenne village which was between the present towns of Crow Agency and Hardin.

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe, if anything, he would have gone past the mouth of the Little Horn. 9 mile creek only runs water in a very wet spring. The next live stream after the Little Horn is RottenGrass cr. and then Soap cr. The Little Horn river is a VERY small river. It can be walked across in most places right now without getting your ankles wet! Captian Marsh could very easily have thought this was just a large creek and never realised it was a river untill he had gone too far up stream.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The FAR WEST was employed to carry the wounded back to Fort Lincoln,the addition of the gold story was first mentioned by two treasure writers-Emile Schurmacher (The gold bars from Williston version) & Roy Norvill (The three miners version).
I do not know the source of their information.
As with many treasure legends,actual events,people,and locations have been added to provide a feel of veracity to a tale.
For both versions:
http://www.jamesmdeen.com/treasurestory3.htm
NOTE: March's account and newspaper accounts of that time never mentioned gold in the events of June 26,1876.

redleg142

May 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Far West and Captain Marsh were at a rendezvous with Terry and Custer PRIOR to the Seventh's departure to find, fix and fight the Indians. Terry briefed Custer and Gibbon on board the Far West the night before the Seventh departed and was still at the rendezvous when Marsh and his crew learned of the defeat suffered by the Seventh on 26 June 1876 at about 4:30 PM, Chicago time. Marsh then began preparing the Far West to receive the wounded, cutting grasses and placing them on the decks. Once the wounded were aboard, Marsh began the voyage to Fort Lincoln, the headquarters of the Seventh Cavalry. Due to my fifty year study of this one battle, I place no credibility in this story.
BTW, the Seventh U. S. Cavalry Regiment was not wiped out to the last man, as Hollywood would have you believe. They suffered about 50% casualties but exist today in the US Army. They have an unbroken chain of service with the Army and fought the hardest, most intense battle of the Viet Nam War and was one of the leading divisions into Baghdad during the Second Gulf War.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi. Consider myself a problem solver rather than researcher. I use other's research. Good research essential. Notice how difficult it can be to get information. This one's real with a high difficulty level. There is enough info to work with. As it so happens this one is not on my high priority list. There was $375,000 in gold bars loaded for transport between stops before the massacre was known. Then, on the afternoon of July 3, 1876 the Far West began the 740 mile run down the Big Horn, Yellowstone and Missouri. Here are relevent excerpts from one I believe is one of the best researchers on this topic:
"Then, less than four miles from the Yellowstone, at the most dangerous curve in the river, Marsh saw that a large Sioux war party was waiting on the bluff ahead."
"A few minutes later she rounded the bend and was out of range."
"...as they approached the juncture of the two rivers, they saw the distant glow of fires along the banks of the Yellowstone."
"He decided to cut and load wood immediately and, at the same time, to bury the gold on shore for safekeeping."
"The riverboat put into shore less than half a mile before the Yellowstone. Here the line of bluffs gave way to a series of hills.
While Jenks and members of the crew chopped wood under the starry sky, Marsh, assisted by Campbell, made several trips with the gold bars, carrying them approximately five hundred yards inland, where they cached them at the foot of the nearest hill. They dug the hole on the far side, at the base of the slope facing away from the river."

If this works, buy me a 1991 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
THIS POST IS FROM 2012**********************************************

Last edited by a moderator:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe the story, but, each to their own. Custers had no need for gold bars or coins coins going into battle. If there was any, they were be at his fort.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all off Topic Posts, attacks & Accusations I could find were Removed.
"All" Members who have had a post or post removed from here were at fault !
I expect "All" of you to think carefully before continuing this "catfight" on TreasureNet !

& yes we are very aware of Who is Who & this does not give members the right to
out other members online ! or suggest we Ban someone for them.

Last edited:

PirateBeth

Apr 27, 2016
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I know, I am bringing back an old post. The reason for me checking in on this, is because I am currently looking for anyone that has dove into this story and would like to possibly go out hunting for it. I work for a TV show that dives deep into history and lost treasure and would like to see if we could mount an expedition to look for the gold.

Thanks for your help in advance, if you know of anyone that may be interested in chatting with me, please shoot me a DM.

Cheers!!!

Pirate Beth

SageRider

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2017
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reply is a few years after your request, but you may want to start you search online at https://statehistoricalsocietyofnd.on.worldcat.org/discovery. This is at the ND State Museum in Bismarck, ND. Grant Marsh was based out of Bismarck for many years, died and was buried here in 1916.

The archives have several old books written about Grant Marsh and the Far West as well as correspondence with Grant Marsh and others (including other historical figures).

So, if you are still searching...good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread