Custers gold?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your time with this request. I sent a PM months ago and never got a reply. Sounds like phishing to me.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering how many treasure hunters seek for this treasure. Maybe the treasure has been found. Good hunting and good luck.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold was valued at $22.30 per ounce in 1876. $375,000 of gold would be 16,816 ounces of gold or 1,051 lbs. of gold. If 2 men hauled 40 lbs of gold a piece or 80 lbs. per trip that would be roughly 13 trips to the burial location.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I included a map of the low ridge line that is within reach from the river, that fits the time claimed for the trip to bury the gold and for their return to the Far West. The story is covered in my book. Location is near the Fairview (I believe that is the name of it) school house. As for the soldiers pay estimated at $25,000, some paper money was found one or two $5 bills. Quillwoman claimed the women shovel money down gopher and snake holes after the battle. So the soldiers pay is protected on the battlefield proper, but I believe the majority was taken as spoils of war. There are two trading posts outside the battlefield, one of them carried two of my titles, they might still have a few.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold was valued at $22.30 per ounce in 1876. $375,000 of gold would be 16,816 ounces of gold or 1,051 lbs. of gold. If 2 men hauled 40 lbs of gold a piece or 80 lbs. per trip that would be roughly 13 trips to the burial location.

These figures are even pointed out as a problem in my book. The amount of time used, the number of men, and a hand cart? Puts some doubt in the story unless the amount of gold was less than claimed.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the old wagon road the teamsters took and came to the river is according to something I came across, now known as Custer fishing access. Now here is an interesting little tidbit for you all. Captain Marsh was involved in a second lost treasure story for the state of Montana. But the ship was not the Far West.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Marsh was the captain of the Luella and I believe the year was 1868 going down the Missouri River, near the mouth of the Milk River they ran aground. One passenger fell over board and was swept away. He drowned due to his money belt of gold and never surfaced. Of course attempts at rescue were foiled by natives raining arrows down on the boat. Marsh ordered all passengers and crew to return fired, resulting in a very short fight. The boat resumed down river minus one passenger and his gold. I got this one in another of my books, number 3 in the series I believe. I included a topo map of the section of the river with the bluff. It was an easy one to pin-point.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the Far West gold story has more holes than a sieve. All the gold went downstream by steamer down the Missouri. Most gold shipments went out late in the season. The supposed path is not even the right way to travel--it has several major tributaries to cross right at the height of high water season. Then you have the coincidence of all the happening on the exact time of the Custer massacre. The chance of Marsh misplacing the gold is very unlikely even if there was some "landslide", unlikely. And a big one is that Grant Marsh bought a steam boat not long after. So if he did get it, he spent it.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Not all went back by the Missouri, stage to Salt Lake was another route. Bozeman had some gold mining as well. Either way many years ago. Not looking to push sales of my books here, I priced them too high on Amazon. Those prices are retail so stores make profit and carry them. If folks do find my books I would sugest the Kindle, much cheaper and maps in full color and expandable. More bang for your buck! Paperback the maps harder to read.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This had become a very hostile area at the time. A real suicide mission to travel through that country. People weren't stupid back then.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, especially for those who ventured out West, self-preservation was a big thing back then. LOL

My evolved opinion on the Far West tale, some author came to search for Custer's troops' gold and once that failed, came up with the Far West story to sell to a treasure magazine. I mean I know enough to take any story with a grain of salt, but hard not to conclude most treasure stories are works of pure fiction or more accurately, pure B.S.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The FAR WEST was employed to carry the wounded back to Fort Lincoln,the addition of the gold story was first mentioned by two treasure writers-Emile Schurmacher (The gold bars from Williston version) & Roy Norvill (The three miners version).
I do not know the source of their information.
As with many treasure legends,actual events,people,and locations have been added to provide a feel of veracity to a tale.

NOTE: March's account and newspaper accounts of that time never mentioned gold in the events of June 26,1876.
The two variations that made the rounds in the treasure magazines of the "60's and "70's.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I love those old magazines! Comparison of all the verions of the major treasure legends has been taking up much of my time. Custer Battlefield gets over 300,000 visitors a year. There is one gift shop that sells books on site. Two gift shops that sell books just off the park. Imagine both treasure stories about the battle offered in books selling to tourists?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I have my books in one and could have had a second but that one wanted to haggle prices, so I never shipped to him. I guess nobody thought to market lost treasure stories in the tourist regions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread