Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He off loaded the gold because he was running out of firewood while his crew cut firewood? Good luck on this one. Its a dead end!

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story was on the Travel Channels " Mysteries at the Museum" tonight.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt the existance too. If the miners were headed for North Dakota from Boseman, they would have gone over Boseman Pass to the Yellowstone River (at present day Livingston MT), and followed that river to the Missori river. They never would have gone out of their way across rough country. Supposedly, Grant missed the mouth of the Little Horn river and went an extra 15 miles or so where he met with the wagon on an old wagon road. The only wagon road was the Boseman trail and it is close to 50 miles from the Little Horn . But, I live a couple miles from the Custer Battle Field and have lived several places along the Big Horn river. So I figure a little pokin around can't hurt! If anybody has an idea where to look for the log book of the Far West Steamer, I would be greatful.

General Custer fishing access is the site of the old wagon road crossing and it was where Custer and the 7th crossed the river to their deaths. The gold is buried on the west side of the river on a low ridge near the old school house.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not believe the story, but, each to their own. Custers had no need for gold bars or coins coins going into battle. If there was any, they were be at his fort.

Actually the troops were paid after they marched and carried roughly 25 thousand into battle. The second treasure.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi. Consider myself a problem solver rather than researcher. I use other's research. Good research essential. Notice how difficult it can be to get information. This one's real with a high difficulty level. There is enough info to work with. As it so happens this one is not on my high priority list. There was $375,000 in gold bars loaded for transport between stops before the massacre was known. Then, on the afternoon of July 3, 1876 the Far West began the 740 mile run down the Big Horn, Yellowstone and Missouri. Here are relevent excerpts from one I believe is one of the best researchers on this topic:
"Then, less than four miles from the Yellowstone, at the most dangerous curve in the river, Marsh saw that a large Sioux war party was waiting on the bluff ahead."
"A few minutes later she rounded the bend and was out of range."
"...as they approached the juncture of the two rivers, they saw the distant glow of fires along the banks of the Yellowstone."
"He decided to cut and load wood immediately and, at the same time, to bury the gold on shore for safekeeping."
"The riverboat put into shore less than half a mile before the Yellowstone. Here the line of bluffs gave way to a series of hills.
While Jenks and members of the crew chopped wood under the starry sky, Marsh, assisted by Campbell, made several trips with the gold bars, carrying them approximately five hundred yards inland, where they cached them at the foot of the nearest hill. They dug the hole on the far side, at the base of the slope facing away from the river."

If this works, buy me a 1991 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4.

This is very close to what I discovered and have in my book, with a topo map of the area. Poster did a good job researching. Ships log has been also available telling of burying gold. Captain Marsh was involved in another lost treasure on the Missouri River in Montana several years before this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
General Custer fishing access is the site of the old wagon road crossing and it was where Custer and the 7th crossed the river to their deaths. The gold is buried on the west side of the river on a low ridge near the old school house.

Custer never crossed the big horn river. He went west from Rosebud creek towards the Little Big Horn. It is believed he never crossed the Little Big Horn either (very debatable). He engaged the Indians at the mouth of MedicineTail Coulee, but may not have actually crossed the river into their camp.
The only wagon roads that crossed the Big Horn at that time were the Upper and Lower Bozeman trail crossings. Both were within a few miles of old Fort C.F. Smith. One year after Custer's defeat, Fort Custer was built where the Little Horn and Big Horn meet. There were several other established crossings after the Fort was built. The closest crossing to the Custer fishing access, was the Two Leggings crossing, several miles down river from the access.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Do some more research on what I provided, you asked and got answers.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just thinking last night that you folks would love to hear about the third lost treasure that came about due to the battle. In fact it was in print in a book from 1950. It's in Treasure State Treasure Tales. Author Jean Moore. I could be wrong but I think it was recovered too and that was in an old treasure magzine years ago. I guess I will see if anyone posts about it. It's a great story.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was recovered, nobody is talking which is a good thing. I hope that they pay their income taxes.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The whole story is in the strange treasure of the little big Horn in this section.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread