Digging for Jesse James treasure today

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
If you find something, I suggest you post photos of the 3 coins you find. Wink, wink.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a couple of methods that may save your back. A probe which has been mentioned, and a simple compass. I dont do graves, but good luck. You may want to look at some parts of the area that stand out. You may find some more clues.

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a couple of methods that may save your back. A probe which has been mentioned, and a simple compass. I dont do graves, but good luck. You may want to look at some parts of the area that stand out. You may find some more clues.

You can metal detect... at cemeteries? I must be understanding this wrong :icon_scratch:

tlm5000

Jul 8, 2013
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Anything yet? Want some help? Sure I can barrow a digging machine ;)

OP
OP
S

Silvertip1958

Mar 8, 2013
Update. Sorry, I forgot about posting this. It has been a while and I am retired now with more time.
I found a (supposed) Jesses James map and the winding road and location of my rock looked identical. I went crazy trying to find a treasure. I read that Frank James spent his later years going to sites with a stick poking the ground because they apparently buried treasure under a hard like steel so they could find it without a map. Based that information, here is what I found.
There was what looked like an X on the rock and in that location I found a large broken steel plow blade. I will post a picture of the plow. I found markings and Name on the plow blade but no history of the steel company on line. The blade is put away in a loft and I will have to find it. Underneath the blade I found an old busted blue ball jar and the remains of an rusted tin that was nearly eaten away. I still poke around occasionally, but have decided that if the treasure was here, it would have been under the plow blade. If I could get an ID from the plow to see when it was made that might confirm that it was a JJ burial place. This would have been Jesse's first robbery hiding place, however I live in his early stomping grounds. His uncle's place is about 30 minutes from my home, which was Shaker Land in his day.
O

Last edited:

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. Sorry, I forgot about posting this. It has been a while and I am retired now with more time.
I found a (supposed) Jesses James map and the winding road and location of my rock looked identical. I went crazy trying to find a treasure. I read that Frank James spent his later years going to sites with a stick poking the ground because they apparently buried treasure under a hard like steel so they could find it without a map. Based that information, here is what I found.
There was what looked like an X on the rock and in that location I found a large broken steel plow blade. I will post a picture of the plow. I found markings and Name on the plow blade but no history of the steel company on line. The blade is put away in a loft and I will have to find it. Underneath the blade I found an old busted blue ball jar and the remains of an rusted tin that was nearly eaten away. I still poke around occasionally, but have decided that if the treasure was here, it would have been under the plow blade. If I could get an ID from the plow to see when it was made that might confirm that it was a JJ burial place. This would have been Jesse's first robbery hiding place, however I live in his early stomping grounds. His uncle's place is about 30 minutes from my home, which was Shaker Land in his day.
O

What a great adventure you're having.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That]s great Take the time and read about Betty Duke she claims to be J.J. great granddaughter. She has past but several years ago I talked with her and she said she had a map on where J.J. had stash buried here in my area

OP
OP
S

Silvertip1958

Mar 8, 2013
Yes, It really has been exciting. My younger brother has obsessed with satellite images of the woods around here and has driven me crazy with his ideas of where KGC treasure might be buried. Since I found a 1922 Peace dollar not far from the rock, he thinks it was a drop by the KGC. There is a railroad a mile from here and by the rock provides a view of the road for a half mile both directions. It has all the makings for a treasure spot. I will keep detecting but if a KGC treasure is here it might be deeper than I can detect. The 1922 silver dollar was a great find right on my on land.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silvertip1958

Mar 8, 2013
Here is a picture of the rock where I highlighted what appeared to be chiseled. I found the plow blade about 3 paces from the rock roughly where the X is if JJ initials represent the location of the rock. The plow blade opened a new window of confusion. It is hand stamped V M D which are all roman numerals but wrong order. It vould mean a million things and could be a clue to where other treasure is buried but I have yet figure it out. VMD could be the initials of the blacksmith too. Lot's of mystery. But if I found it, I wouldn't tell you anyway. ;o) image.png image.png

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so stories of where he ended up I wish they could come up with a good answer

OP
OP
S

Silvertip1958

Mar 8, 2013
There are so stories of where he ended up I wish they could come up with a good answer

If you are referring to his demise, I think the story of him getting shot in the back is true. He robbed a stagecoach at mammoth cave and the watch and jewelry stolen that day were returned to the owners after his death. He was wearing the watch and his wife was wearing a ring stolen from a judge and his daugter who were on the stage. One of his killers committed suicide shortly after and the trigger man was murdered. Every criminal that dies is ressurected in conspiracy theories, but 99% are just tales to tell at night out in the woods around a fire. They took a picture of Jesse and hundreds viewed him, even his mother. He bought the farm but lives on in legend.

OP
OP
S

Silvertip1958

Mar 8, 2013

If you are referring to his demise, I think the story of him getting shot in the back is true. He robbed a stagecoach at mammoth cave and the watch and jewelry stolen that day were returned to the owners after his death. He was wearing the watch and his wife was wearing a ring stolen from a judge and his daugter who were on the stage. One of his killers committed suicide shortly after and the trigger man was murdered. Every criminal that dies is ressurected in conspiracy theories, but 99% are just tales to tell at night out in the woods around a fire. They took a picture of Jesse and hundreds viewed him, even his mother. He bought the farm but lives on in legend.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sorta think maybe the Betty Duke story of how he moved to Blevins Tex and change his name might have something to it. Because I found out some other stuff that could make it real. My wife uncle and his brother inherited the land the land that he suppose of live on plus I found out a lot more stuff over the years

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you are having a great adventure. I've been searching for KGC/Jesse James treasure for many years and you are right not to go public with any details of your possible treasure location and/or recovery. I learned that lesson the hard way. Most Jesse James treasure hunters agree that Jesse's trademark carving was a Double J aka Anchor J like is in this photo. The J's are back-to-back. Keep in mind that there was another Knights of the Golden Circle member and later a Texas Ranger named Captain Jason W. James, C.S.A.. At least one historian said that he was Jesse's and Frank's first cousin but I haven't been able to verify that. One thing I do know is that Jason's father and Jesse's father left Missouri at the same time to head for the gold fields of California. Jason was in the Confederate Army and spent most of his war years in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. After the War, he came to Texas and became a Ranger. I can confirm that at least one KGC depository is marked by Jason James's first and last names carved into an old oak tree because I found that myself. I'm also posting the link to my Knights of the Golden Circle website where there may be some information that will be helpful to you or other members.
~Texas Jay
Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

anchorjcarving-Utah.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions