St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Ryano. My late partner Colin Eby and I spent many hours researching and writing the homepage article. We felt it was very important to verify every sentence of it with the sources the information came from so that viewers can read more about the Knights. I was going through my old photo files today and found this pic that I'd forgotten that I had. I have no source or other information about this carving but I think it's important to show that, if this carving is from the outlaw Jesse James, he may not have always used the Double J (Anchor J) signature in his carvings.
Here's another of my websites. This one is about William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson.

Home - William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

~Texas Jay JesseJamescarving1.jpg

Texas Jay - wonderful website you have. I appreciate the bibliography on the main page. As someone who is a neophyte in researching this fascinating "secret society" its not often I've seen KGC information on the internet supported by primary sources.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always pay state and federal income taxes on any treasures that you find, or off to jail you may go. Good hunting and good luck.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck silvertip :)

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like you are having a great adventure. I've been searching for KGC/Jesse James treasure for many years and you are right not to go public with any details of your possible treasure location and/or recovery. I learned that lesson the hard way. Most Jesse James treasure hunters agree that Jesse's trademark carving was a Double J aka Anchor J like is in this photo. The J's are back-to-back. Keep in mind that there was another Knights of the Golden Circle member and later a Texas Ranger named Captain Jason W. James, C.S.A.. At least one historian said that he was Jesse's and Frank's first cousin but I haven't been able to verify that. One thing I do know is that Jason's father and Jesse's father left Missouri at the same time to head for the gold fields of California. Jason was in the Confederate Army and spent most of his war years in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. After the War, he came to Texas and became a Ranger. I can confirm that at least one KGC depository is marked by Jason James's first and last names carved into an old oak tree because I found that myself. I'm also posting the link to my Knights of the Golden Circle website where there may be some information that will be helpful to you or other members.
~Texas Jay
Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

View attachment 1503223

Your hunt sounds very promising...I hope you find some great stuff ST!! I know the original post was awhile back, I'm hoping you are still looking for more!

I'm not sure where you are located, but I agree with TJ on the Anchor looking double J's. At least from what I've seen. I've only seen 'maybe' 3 JJ's... others have been the anchor or back to back J's. That doesn't mean anything though, a lot of folks have found J's like yours.

What state are you located in?

TJ was also right to question Jason W. James relationship to Jesse Woodson James...They are not related. Jason James was from Lexington, MO in Lafayette County, MO which did have a group go to California and some also went to Colorado looking for gold. If I remember right, Jason James Father passed in 1852 and Jason J. was one of 4-5 brothers. You can also find good information on him and his movements in New Mexico.

This might have been touched on the Cashe section of Tnet, I don't know, but I've read somewhere on Tnet someone stated that ALL of Quantrell's Partisan Rangers were KGC...That's not true. I don't remember who said it or where on Tnet it was stated. Some did go the Outlaw way and others came back to protect and help their communities rebuild. Check each one out starting with the rosters before you waste time and boot leather hunting for some link that didn't exist. A hoard or cashe might not be KGC, but it's still very real.

I'm Not a KGC expert by far...I have given myself a crash course in the history and mission of the group but I can't figure out what sets KGC apart as far as any cashe or hoards found. It does seem that some of the same symbolism is used by outlaw, community, Spanish and other ethnic groups.

Quantrell was Catholic, Jesse W. James mother was raised and educated Catholic. His biological father was Baptist, His last Stepfather was Jewish. In some areas that might not seem like that big of deal nowadays, but in those days especially, religion did play a big factor in organizations and groups people belonged to.

You will have good luck finding buried or stashed hoards in many communities. Fake graves on old home places or COE land are worth checking into. It wasn't hard to make a tombstone/grave and use it to conceal a hoard or deliver a message. From what I've seen there are usually two or more tombstones of non-existent people in family grave yards and sometimes you will see two of these Not near an old home place, they could be off a long forgotten trail.

Good Luck

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi RTR...if you are asking me, I really have no idea. I've heard that about BBR and other claims of people being BTK, but I have never really studied them...I'm more of a James/Younger/Quantrell/"Bloody Bill" Anderson person due to where I'm from and I've always been interested in them.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you!

Kace

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kace....Just making sure your aware :)

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace....Just making sure your aware :)

Aware? Were you asking me if I thought BBR was BTK or letting me know BBR was BTK?

Kace

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest: