Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few;
The inside perimeter of the corral near the old barn.
Arround large rocks near any buildings.
Short baseboards in the old kitchen, pantry, or bedroom.
In floor rafters in the ''under the house cellar''.
For starters!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any place and every place you could hide something. If you are making a list, you are leaving things out. Just keep in mind that MOSt caches were hidden inside the house, not buried.

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks guys! Keep them coming! The houses I mostly search are mostly foundation and don't even have walls ( other than stone) or floorboards. But thanks a lot. Also that "large rock trick" seems very helpful!

Thanks

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the corners on fields

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Umm let's see, the well, an outhouse, the fireplace, the garden plot, signs of depressions in the ground. Gotta be careful of that last one as it might be a grave.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
once out with my metal detector i came across an old log outbuilding that had deteriorated except the very first foundation logs. in one corner i saw a stone one gallon jug sticking up -- upside down and as i got to it, you know the feeling, '' it can't be in one piece'' but it was and i still have it, no chips or dings.
that tells me that the corners should be checked.
good hunting digguitup.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
once out with my metal detector i came across an old log outbuilding that had deteriorated except the very first foundation logs. in one corner i saw a stone one gallon jug sticking up -- upside down and as i got to it, you know the feeling, '' it can't be in one piece'' but it was and i still have it, no chips or dings.
that tells me that the corners should be checked.
good hunting digguitup.:icon_thumleft:

Darn too bad there weren't any silvers in it :( still really good find tho it's so hard to find clay jugs in one piece

gertie

Greenie
Apr 8, 2010
Fence lines that are now gone, and orchards even if they are not longer there.

I once talked to a senior lady to research a property she owned. She is now in her mid 80,s. She told me her dad liked to hide things. She began telling me a story of how her dad was fond of peach brandy, recalling how it made the house smell so good she could almost taste it. He never kept it in the house, but hid it outside. One day after he had indulged, she followed him while he walked to his hiding spot. He went into the peach orchard out of her site. She went back to the orchard the next day, searching corner to corner for the brandy. She finally found it in an empty post hole in the orchard. Tufts of grass covered the opening on the ground. An exhisting fence had been removed from inside the orchard, leaving the empty post hole. She was only 5 years old when she found the brandy. "It was an afternoon filled with happiness", she said.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a hold of a copy of "Treasure Hunter's Manual" #6 or 7 by Karl Von Muller. Book is out of print but is probably the best guide for cache hunting. Full of such things as if it is buried outside it was most always within sight of the main bedroom window. If outside it is almost never deeper than arm's length. Lists all the most likely places in a dwelling. (A friend found a good one using that section). Might be a hard to find book but well worth the effort to find a copy. I's a thick book with much TH info.

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Get a hold of a copy of "Treasure Hunter's Manual" #6 or 7 by Karl Von Muller. Book is out of print but is probably the best guide for cache hunting. Full of such things as if it is buried outside it was most always within sight of the main bedroom window. If outside it is almost never deeper than arm's length. Lists all the most likely places in a dwelling. (A friend found a good one using that section). Might be a hard to find book but well worth the effort to find a copy. I's a thick book with much TH info.

Thanks i will look into that book

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe no one has mentioned the chicken coop yet. They were generally fairly close to the house in the back yard and They come with a built in burglar alarm !:laughing7:

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
I can't believe no one has mentioned the chicken coop yet. They were generally fairly close to the house in the back yard and They come with a built in burglar alarm !:laughing7:

Yeah I knew about the coops, but many houses u search are foundations or don't have evidence if a coop

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know before FIDC people hid their money around their homes, I have access to 2 old houses, 1 log home built in 1700's that just collasped in the last 20 years, and a old farm house foundation from late 1800s. Gotta be a cache around them although I haven't yet lotta junk. I could use more ideas besides all I have tried so far.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be a cache around them

Yes, most people had a "cache" in the home but it was typically a small savings to buy clothes for the kids or some other need. Caches were very rarely buried. Even larger caches were most often hidden inside the house because that is where it's easiest to keep an eye on. But the bad part for us, is that most caches were never forgotten. They were used by the hider or the hider's family, or found when the house was cleaned out after death.

You need a specific chain of events to leave a cache hidden for us. You need a person with more income than they needed. This person also needs to be basically a frugal hermit. Never spending a penny more than needed. Next, you need someone who was alone with no nearby family or didn't trust any of their family. The most important part is that you typically need for that person to have a sudden death, massive stroke, or other sudden illness which would prevent them from recovering or disclosing the existence of the cache.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
I know before FIDC people hid their money around their homes, I have access to 2 old houses, 1 log home built in 1700's that just collasped in the last 20 years, and a old farm house foundation from late 1800s. Gotta be a cache around them although I haven't yet lotta junk. I could use more ideas besides all I have tried so far.

What would a cache sound like on a detector? Wouldn't it just be really erratic and loud? I mean If it was in a jar (and had silver coins) it would just be silver but if it was in like an iron or brass pot idk I figure it would be a loud mixed signal.

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather buried his money, but I heard he always dug it back up! Born in 1889, he grew up in the depression years and I still believe people like him buried their money for various reasons.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the house is still standing, check all of the floors for loose, and unnailed boards, esp. in closets. you'll be surprised what is hidden under those floors.

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
If the house is still standing, check all of the floors for loose, and unnailed boards, esp. in closets. you'll be surprised what is hidden under those floors.

Hopefully going to a Late 1800's - early 1900s house this weekend. Ill make sure to check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread