The REAL Skeleton Canyon treasure I found...

carajou

Jan 9, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I first read about Skeleton Canyon in 1977, and it got to me because of the many mysteries involved, the outlaws, the cowboys, the lawmen, and the fact that a whole mountain was there, and it wasn't!

So I went there for the first time in 1985, myself and a couple others, all on paid leave from Alameda, Calafornia and USS Samuel Gompers...yes, we were sailors on a great deal of R & R, and we happened to love the adventure involved.

So there we were, looking for and finding the clues int he story.? Found the waterfall the outlaws took a shower under.? Found the canyon the waterfall was in.? Found that stupid mountain that was supposed to be missing.

But the treasure was essentially two things.? The first was the beauty of the Chiricahuas.? It's a rugged beauty, standing monoliths of rock jutting up from a desert floor and holding a lush forest on the inside.? Looking at it from below, hiking up into it, drinking spring water so pure it puts the bottled stuff to shame, one can see why the Apache loved living there.?

And the second was one of the people who was with me.? Her name is Heidi, and she's got a love for things adventurous, for things Indiana Jones, for Bogart, going places, living life to the full no matter what happens.? We were good friends before, but the search for the treasure bonded us closer than we could imagine.? Heidi's been my best friend since, and to me, she's worth more than any gold that may be buried there.? ?;)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock on!!! Finally someone is finding a true treasure in life... I honestly think I would have walked away just as satisfied as you if I were in your shoes. I do love the "search" but I love the sights and memories just as much. I don't anyone should ever walk away from a hunt empty handed or disappointed!!!!

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Same Place!

It's a bit more sporty now (border crossers) , so I leave the treasured wife at home when going there. :-\

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Good for you in seeing the good side of an unsuccessful search. After a 3 year search for a cache, I found the now empty site, and didn't see any good in it. I guess when you're burdened with financial problems, it can blind you to life's simpler pleasures. I was wondering if you thought the story of the Skeleton Canyon treasure was real or not. Any resident of the area could have described the natural features. As I recall, the teller of that tale was no angel, and could have made the whole thing up. I thought that the finding of the ambush site, littered with shell casings, would add credence to the tale. What do you think?

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004
I believe the Skeleton Canyon Treasure is right where Billy Grounds said it was. I believe that it is close
enough to New Mexico that you could see the New Mexico state line from here. Also, I get an iron
signal which leads credence to but does not prove the wagon was buried in the same hole. I believe
that it is 5 feet deep.

Have fun--Howso

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
All the subtleties about exactly where it happened are suspect, but the size and weight of the gold involved would have to have been impossible to move right away. When the wagons and mules were found, You know the gold HAD to be close!

I think a big attraction to hunting the area is that it was frequented by lots of smaller crooks, and may have many smaller caches and relics in the ground.

hunte0

Apr 2, 2005
Wanted everyone to know that last fall the ranchers closed forest service road 540 from Apache to Skeleton Canyon. Put a Cable and a lock with a big sign, that says private property.

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would Zwing and Billy rob the mining office when they had all this treasure waiting for them?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

BEFORE YOU WASTE YOUR TIME REALIZE THIS IS A 2005 POST!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread