CogitoNM

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
OKM Rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This past weekend my friend and I went for a hike in the San Pedro Mtns, NM. Found what seems to be one or two cache sites that have already been opened. Further exploration found some monuments of various quality. Quite an interesting site. Didn't have much time that day, so we're going back this coming weekend to see what we might see. This site was about 100yds up-canyon from a capped spring.

20130330-IMG_0587.jpg
First monument I found. Right next to the bottom cave/hole. Pointing away and up the canyon from the site. Very Proper prop-rock monument. I'd usually think this would be a pointer monument, with a prop-rock to verify that it's authentic. In this situation it's not preceded (as far as I can tell) by other monuments, and points in an strange direction. Strange if the two caves/holes were the intended target.

20130330-IMG_0592.jpg
First hole. Nice blocking stone w/ Triangle pointing to the nook. Also somewhat looks like animal with the triangle as the eye.

20130330-IMG_0599.jpg
Outside of second hole.

20130330-IMG_0600.jpg

20130330-IMG_0605.jpg
Two prop rocks right outside first hole.

20130330-IMG_0618.jpg

20130330-IMG_0633.jpg
Two pics of inside second (upper) hole.

20130330-IMG_0650.jpg
Doghead monument. Very interested rock; is looking directly at both holes, but on top of the hill. Possibly on top of a room. Dogs mean dig where it's looking. I assume it's KGC or Jesuit because all Spanish monuments were supposed to be situated on top of other rocks. They didn't want them shifting or moving over the years. I've also never seen Dog monuments with verified Spanish trails. Sheep, Pigs, Turtles, Eagles, Ducks, Owls,... yes. But never a Dog.

20130330-IMG_0661.jpg 20130330-IMG_0662.jpg 20130330-IMG_0663.jpg
Eagle monument with a prop-rock on top of it. Also looking up the canyon. Didn't think of it at the time, but the pointer prop-rock might be looking right at this. Could also have an open book under the Eagle; this should mean that you should be able to read many of the signs for this trail from right there, but all I saw where two you could see from this spot.

20130330-IMG_0672.jpg
Another spot down the canyon. Doesn't look like it'd been touched, didn't see any monuments either. Just interesting.

20130330-IMG_0674.jpg 20130330-IMG_0675.jpg What might be a cross. Too rough for me to be 100%, but it sure looks like a Cross. Caught my attention right away. ... on the way back.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
maby you found Forest Fenn's treasure site, but if so, it looks like someone got to the treasure ahead of you?

OP
OP
C

CogitoNM

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
OKM Rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Update. Went back with my headlamp from a different direction. Found more cool stuff.

20130406-IMG_0730.jpg

20130406-IMG_0733.JPG

20130406-IMG_0732.JPG

Big rock(face?) with triangle under.

20130406-IMG_0737.JPG

20130406-IMG_0742.JPG

Very strange triangle shaft/notch cut into the side of the streambed. Where I was standing was actually stacked rock, but the back was most certainly cut 90deg. There was another perfect corner in the streambed rock right next to it.

20130406-IMG_0760.JPG
Bat

20130406-IMG_0764.JPG

This is inside hole2 (the upper one). You can tell it keeps going because you can see where the water has made it's little trail over the ground.

20130406-IMG_0777.JPG

20130406-IMG_0793.JPG

Random entrance. Somewhat looked like there was more but it collapsed inside, or they just filled it with an insane amount of dirt.

Seems I forgot the pic with the stacked rock 'wall' next to this last hole. Very poor job.

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The upper two photos of the last post has some great "stump" pointers. Your site looks EXACTLY like the ones I find in Utah and Nevada......Great Job! Keep the photos coming!

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ByTheWay/.......Is your site set in a triangular fashion? I found a site in Nevada a couple of years back that had the same pointer underneath a big rock pile...turned out to be the complete site was set out in a triangle...The ones I have found have all been Spanish and Mexican in nature....once again, keep it up, I enjoy the photos...

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me think of Snakes!

Yeah makes me think of snakes too. not sure I would ever crawl into those crevasses unless it was winter and cold as all heck even underground.

OP
OP
C

CogitoNM

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
OKM Rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ByTheWay/.......Is your site set in a triangular fashion? I found a site in Nevada a couple of years back that had the same pointer underneath a big rock pile...turned out to be the complete site was set out in a triangle...The ones I have found have all been Spanish and Mexican in nature....once again, keep it up, I enjoy the photos...

I believe this site is only triangle in nature because these caves are a hundred yards up from where two streams meet. One goes up a bit to the right, the other a bit to the left. This cave is probably on the opposite side of the hill from the triangle 'shaft' (probably just built up rocks around a notch cut in the bedrock, not sure).

I really want to send an RC Truck w/ video camera down into the cave with the bat. See what's around the next corner.

Also. Didn't see any snakes. Though it wasn't really the time of year for it.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tie a string to it in case you lose the transmission signal so you can pull it back out.

OP
OP
C

CogitoNM

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
OKM Rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now I just need an RC Car and a GoPro.

Because I have like 800ft of Paracord I could use.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect the whole area ..............

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I do not have a metal detector. I am thinking about pitching on one with a friend, but ... we'll see.

Well, I can't go there, but there are some on the board that could help you out for 100% of what they find!

OP
OP
C

CogitoNM

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
OKM Rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, I can't go there, but there are some on the board that could help you out for 100% of what they find!

I'm sure that'd be fine. Not sure whose property it's on, either BLM / State or Private. About 100yrs up the dry riverbed there is a shed, about 200yrds past that there is a house. For some reason I doubt there is much supergreat stuff to find there, but only because it doesn't jive with the normal template / monumented sites I've seen. If I had to guess it would be post-Mexican/American War. Foundation nearby has some relatively new plumbing sticking out of the ground. That would be a great site to hit. It's at one point of the 'triangle' between the caves and the triangle 'shaft'. Old miners camp, and they either used this existing cave for storage, or it's just coincidence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread